weeping

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 9000 miles (only 1000 of which are mine) & the 96 RT/10 is already going in to the shop. I noticed puddles of antifreeze on the shop floor. I've read the threads on weeping head gaskets, but this one is crying me a river. It seems to be coming from both sides, but I'll let the tech determine what needs to be done.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is pretty low mileage for a car to be having the dreaded sinking liners. I have noticed that most of the cars are developing the problem between 17 to 20K. I also know of early cars with over 30,000 miles and no problems. You may want to look under the car at the sides of the block below the heads for the tell-tale streaks of antifreeze on the aluminum block. The antifreeze residue leaves it's mark.

OP
OP
J

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got it from THE viper dealer. They are taking good care of me. Can't wit to see what the verdict is. I'm pretty sur its is coming from the heads but I've been wrong before.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car isn;t under warranty just swap in some new headgaskets and call it a day. Liners are probably the problem 1 in every 10 motors. I know most people here are anal about everything but the gasket is crap and deteriorates.

If the car is out of warranty and they quote you like $9,000 for a rebuild you better settle for a gasket r&r that may set you back a grand or two. If mine starts leaking I will do the gaskets myself...

Sinking liners Viperrick? I was under the impression that they crept up in the block...but then again what do I know right Jon?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In your case, I bet that it is simply a failed T-stat crossover gasket........ Let us know? Glad your dealer is standing behind you, (without a cattle prod!)

OP
OP
J

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll keep you posted. If this were any other car I'd be fired up. It's not though. I love this car. Bone stock just the way DC intended. JonB I need some clips for the factory air box. Let me know.

OP
OP
J

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the head gaskets leaking. Hey I was right! Could be 2 months in the shop if the engine goes to arrow. I will find out tomorrow. No worries here though. I was just getting ready to store it for the winter anyway. Whatever the case, DCs extended warranty is covering it. Man am I glad I opted for that. The saga continues. So far so good.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it is going to work out well for you. I think you will be very pleased with the new engine. Keep us posted.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Frank, if my memory serves me correctly today, the sleeves were set above the deck of the block so when the heads were torqued down over the gasket the gasket would crimp over and around the top of the sleeves. There is an issue with some sort of stops at the bottom of the bores which were to hold the liners in place. Over time some sleeves/liners receed down into the block which in turn caused the gasket to deform because it is not crimped around the sleeve thus causing the weeping head syndrome. This is the way it was described to me by a Team member a few years ago. Hopefully this clears up some speculation on the subject.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery