Weight difference, stock wheels/tires vs SSRs/Sport Cups

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There has been some uncertainty regarding exactly how much weight is saved by switching from the stock 10 spoke wheels and runflats to SSR competition wheels (18x13 rear, 18x11 front) and Sport Cups (345x18 rear, 295x18 front). I just installed mine today and took measurements on both combinations. Here are the results:

OEM = 60 lbs each front and 72 lbs each back - 264 lbs total
SSR/Sport Cups = 45 lbs each front and 51.5 each back - 193 lbs total

That's 71 lbs of unsprung weight... gone! If my OEM tires were brand new (they have about 70 to 75 % tread life left), the weight difference would have been even greater by 2 to 4 pounds.

The weather ***** here today, so I didn't get much chance to test them out, but so far the car definitely feels more responsive. The ride seems a bit smoother too. As some have already pointed out, the fender gaps with stock suspension are huge with this set-up and look terrible. Guess I'll be doing the suspension next.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur with your SSR/Cup weights almost exactly. Mine were 45.2 and 51.0 lb each, front and rear respectively for a 192.4 lb total.

My stock set (maybe with more wear :) ) was 57 lb front and 66 lb rear for a total of 246.

I also concur with the gaps. But am very uncertain of the effect of changing the vehicle rake by enough to eliminate the difference. My plans are to use the SSR/Cup combo primarily for the track and use the stock wheels with better rubber for the street once it comes out. I currently have non run flats on the stock wheels. I may powder coat them black though for appearance.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I concur with your SSR/Cup weights almost exactly. Mine were 45.2 and 51.0 lb each, front and rear respectively for a 192.4 lb total.

My stock set (maybe with more wear :) ) was 57 lb front and 66 lb rear for a total of 246.

I also concur with the gaps. But am very uncertain of the effect of changing the vehicle rake by enough to eliminate the difference. My plans are to use the SSR/Cup combo primarily for the track and use the stock wheels with better rubber for the street once it comes out. I currently have non run flats on the stock wheels. I may powder coat them black though for appearance.

I'm not sure yet if I will run the SSR/Sport Cups all the time or just for the track. Depends on how I like the feel after I have some more seat time. If I do decide to run them all the time, then I will definitely have to lower the car. Motons or Penske seem to be the most popular choices, but damn... they're expensive. Do you think there is anything else that will work as well for less money?

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am going with the Aldans only because I don't track my car, if I were to track the car then I would go with the better/proven track setups. It just doesn't make sense for me to spend an extra $2500-$3000 for the Motons.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motons were worth every penny to me. I track the car occasionally and use it as a daily driver on 'a less then perfect roads'. The option to adjust he shocks is priceless (for everything else there is ...:)

I also have SSR/Cups combo and I must say I am disappointed with the tires. After a few laps they did not hook any more and they felt almost worse then the stocks. The car behaved like on ice. I think my next rubber will have to be slicks. Will have to think of the way how to get them to the racetrack... With cups I can drive... Is there a trailer for SRT?:)

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motons were worth every penny to me. I track the car occasionally and use it as a daily driver on 'a less then perfect roads'. The option to adjust he shocks is priceless (for everything else there is ...:)

I also have SSR/Cups combo and I must say I am disappointed with the tires. After a few laps they did not hook any more and they felt almost worse then the stocks. The car behaved like on ice. I think my next rubber will have to be slicks. Will have to think of the way how to get them to the racetrack... With cups I can drive... Is there a trailer for SRT?:)

Cups are quite sensitive to air pressure. Is it possible that your pressures were too high? I found that if I keep the Cups in the correct pressure range, that they grip very well, and that their grip lasts longer than other race/performance tires I've used.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cups are quite sensitive to air pressure. Is it possible that your pressures were too high? I found that if I keep the Cups in the correct pressure range, that they grip very well, and that their grip lasts longer than other race/performance tires I've used.

And generally lower pressure than Pilots. I believe my target pressure was 34 psi hot (that is from memory - I would have to look at log books for the final number I had). I did not get a greasy feeling at all. Not like Pilots after a few heat cycles. Now that is slippery.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Did you heat cycle the tires when they were new or buy them pre-cycled? I've heard if you don't do this they can become greasy at high temps. So far, the vast majority of the feedback I have heard on these tires has been very positive. I hope to get the cat to the track soon myself.

I had the car out last night and again today and it feels so much quicker and crisper on the handling. The turn-in feels much more positive now and the braking even better than before. My only complaint is what has been mentioned before, and that's the tendency for the car to jump around on rutted roads. It was already pretty bad with the stock tires and wheels and it's much worse now. Anyone driving behind me would probably think I was drunk. On flat road surface, the car tracks beautifully. Hoping some adjustments on the alignement will reduce that, but I'll probably wait till I get the new suspension in.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for jumping around - a LOT (if not all of it) is due to the width of the front tires. You should see me on the way to the track last week - there were quite a rails from trucks on the road and I found myself +/- 2 feet left and right! With my regular wheels (I have 265 up front) I experience much less 'jumping around'.

Damned, Jon@partsrack ( I bought the combo from him) did not mention anything... Now I read this on the tirerack site. I know the slicks need to be pre-cycled, didn't think cups need ot be too... I will have to check with him whether tirerack did this for his combos or not...

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damned, Jon@partsrack ( I bought the combo from him) did not mention anything... Now I read this on the tirerack site. I know the slicks need to be pre-cycled, didn't think cups need ot be too... I will have to check with him whether tirerack did this for his combos or not...

[/QUOTE]

If the tires were heat cycled by Tirerack, they come with a stamp on the sidewall. Its yellow in color and about two inches or so long. Says "Tirerack/heat cycled" or something like that. I'm not home right now to see the exact markings, but they're pretty obvious. There is a $15 dollar per tire charge to get them precycled, but well worth it.

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to weigh and post the results. I have wondered myself.

In terms of lowering, I am really happy with the Moton club sports. I had them corner balanced at their track height - which is when I needed the finest tuning.

After the track, I relax the rebound, relax the bump some in front and raise the car up 3 revolutions (probably only 1/4 inch). That way I can go over speed bumps and normal [*****].

It adds about 10 minutes total to the track prep time (since I have to change the wheels anyway).

HIGHLY recommended.

cheers -

j

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to weigh and post the results. I have wondered myself.

In terms of lowering, I am really happy with the Moton club sports. I had them corner balanced at their track height - which is when I needed the finest tuning.

After the track, I relax the rebound, relax the bump some in front and raise the car up 3 revolutions (probably only 1/4 inch). That way I can go over speed bumps and normal [*****].

It adds about 10 minutes total to the track prep time (since I have to change the wheels anyway).

HIGHLY recommended.

cheers -

j

Thanks for the input. If it's not too much trouble, can you pm me and let me know how much that set-up ran you and who you bought it from?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth