Weight-distributing trailer hitch

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last time I used my trailer, I decided to try the weight distributing hitch which the previous owner included when I bought the trailer. It hooked up easily enough, although I didn't feel any significant difference pulling the car (my truck is a quite heavy 2500 series) and that hitch doesn't really drop far enough (the QwikLoad deck doesn't reach the road surface).

Unfortunately I don't know how to unhook the weight-distributing bars from the hitch itself, and I don't seem to have any documentation for this part with the other trailer docs.

I have the type which simply slides upwards into holes on the hitch. I heard them click into place, but I don't see any obvious way to deatch them. There is a little metal plate on the front which I'm assuming is related to whatever clicked into place, but they don't appear to be removable or movable.

It's a standard weight-distributing hitch -- I found it all over the web when I tried to search for this info. If you have one, you'll know exactly what I mean. It looks like the photo below, and the bars slide into the holes on either side of the ball.

You must be registered for see images

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll need a piece of pipe to pull down the "hooks". But a trick that makes it easy is to "unload" the trailers toungue weight off the ball buy using the trailers hitch jack. You just jack up the trailers front until the load is off the bars, and pull down on the hooks with the pipe. Then swing them out, and lift up onthe little safety lock tangs to remove them from the hitch. I'm working on a trailering instruction with pics, not done yet though.

Reaction score
I think he is talking about seperating the bars from the hitch assembly. I guess I should have pointed that out last year, eh? :)

Jon, they "click" into place, you are right....you should be able to pull OUT on the little metal plate (which basically controls the pin that holds the bars up in there) and the bar should slide out. You might have to support the bar itself to allow the "pin" to move out far enough to disengage. Call me if you need more help! :)

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bars have a recessed grove they ride in of around 240 degrees. once you disconnect the chain rotate the bar back towards the tow vehicle and they should fall right out. I would be carefull pulling out the little tabs to release the bars. Eventually my last set would not hold the bars in place and would fall out on turns and when backing up. Nothing a little hose clamp could not rectify though, clamping it around the metal plate to keep it secure.

OP
OP
M

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony & Alan are correct, I was trying to remove the bars from the hitch portion. I'll give both methods a try.

Thanks!