Weird engine problem

DAWING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This morning just after exiting an offramp at a med/slow speed ( cops were out ) , my 2001 gts with over half a tank of gas,200+ watertemp and ac on the engine cut off came back on .....cut off came back on ......cut off a third time and came back on for good. The shut down was instant no backfire, no dash lights. I tried shuting down the ignition to see if that was the cause but that trigered the usual dash lights.I tried throwing the card side to side to duplicate a possible loose connection but no go.

Any thoughts ?

Scott:dunno:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No Dash lights? You had the lights turned on and they quit with the engine? That's a power loss situation. Check all your battery and alternator connections. Short circuit is probably the cause.

Possible the computer power was interupted? Not being intimate with the Viper's computer programs I;m not sure if you should have recieved a check engine light? Ask The Wizard, Chuck Tator.

Ted

OP
OP
D

DAWING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got no lights of any kind when the engine cut out and restarted. Dodge just looked at it and found no primary or secondarey codes. Checked all of the sensors and found zip. Has anyone lost a fuel pump yet and if so what was it like.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Codes won't always be thrown if the problem is momentary. The PCM has to see the problem for a minimum amount of time before the yellow light comes on.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom, since we disconnect the battery to erase codes what's the length of time a shorted of disconnected battery would need to erase any codes?

Dave has a good point with a possible intermitten internal battery problem. The way to solve the plates swinging and shorting out would be to buy an Optima Battery.

Ted

OP
OP
D

DAWING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to get motivated to lay out the 5 or 6 wrenches I need to check the battery.

Thanx for the replies.

Scott

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang