weird overheating problem...

badvr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, i noticed today that my car was running hot. i had the a/c on and the temperature needle started going near the last red hash mark. normally, on the highway, it would stay at 190 degrees and not move. today, whenever i gave partial throttle, the needle would get closer and closer to the last red hash. when i would take the car out of gear and coast in neutral, it would drop back down. for example, partial throttle on the highway would be around 220 and slowly climbing. take it out of gear and coast and it would drop back down to 190. in traffic, going through the gears driving normally, it would climb up towards the last hash mark then i would take it out of gear to let it get back down to 190. there is no leaks and there is coolant in the tank. the belts are all there and installed as they should. any ideas?

edit: car is a 00 gts. no mods, 15k miles

OP
OP
B

badvr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya, it was a late 00...im going to swing it by my viper tech today and see what he says. thanks guys for the help!

:cheers:

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a late 00 that had the bad impeller. My car was acting the same as yours for a while and then as it got worse I started getting no heat in the car when I turned it on. Spoke to Chuck and he told me some late 00's had the bad impellers. When I took the waterpump out, you could spin the impeller easily while holding the pulley.