Went to the dealer today, and guy tried to sell me a 2000 RT/10

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the local Dodge dealership today, because I needed to get one of those plastic grommet things that is on the back where the roof top "pin" thing goes into. Anyway, I drive the Viper (which is a 2000 RT/10) to the dealership, in case they needed to see what part I was talking about. I drive up and this particular dealership has you walk through the showroom to get to the Parts department in the back of the building.

I park my car right up front and I wasn't even out of the car yet, and the dealer guy was quickly coming over...

Dealer: So are you here to trade that in?
Me: No.
Dealer: We've got a limited edition Viper in stock.
Me: Oh yeah? Tell me about it

(now, we are walking together and just enter the showroom where he points to the car...)
Dealer: It's one of ten made.
Me: What year is it?
Dealer: It's a 2000.
Me: What is so rare about it?
Dealer: They only made ten in this color.
Me: Is that steel gray or graphite?
Dealer: Steel gray.
Me: They made a lot more than ten of those in that color. And besides, I already have a 2000 RT/10.

(By this point some other guy that I am guessing was the sales manager or another salesman came over, and we are right in front of the receptionist too)

Dealer: No, you should look it up, this is a very rare color. It's one of ten.
Me: I did look it up when I bought my red one. Maybe YOU should look it up yourself.

Anyway, I walked away to the parts department and he finally gave up.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, according to my Viper guide book, they made 296 Steel Gray Viper RT/10's in 2000.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides ours, there are 196 other Steel Gray/Black interior cars
out there...assuming none are wrecked.

Steve

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one had a cognac interior. Could there be only ten steel gray/cognac 2000 RT/10's? I didn't think about that.

He just said the paint color, not the paint/interior combo.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work at a Mitsubishi dealership as Parts manager so I'm around salesmen all day. As I'm sure most people know, most salesmen will tell you what ever they can to help get a sale. Some do it because they are crooked and just want a sale, others do it b/c they truly dont know the facts, but want to sound knowledgable. When you pulled up in your Viper, their first thought was "he's got money, may as well sell him a 2nd one". Then to help the sale, they make up the 1 of 10 thing to make it more appealing to you. I'm sure most Viper owners know more about Vipers than most any Dodge salesman. I've corrected a few Dodge salesmen who were trying to sell me a Viper at various times.

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's sad there are these kind of dealers out there. They are either incompetent or unethical. Or both! I've got a 2000 Steel Gray ACR and I think they made like 39 2000 ACRs in Steel Grey/no stripes/comfort group.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd vote for incompetent over crooked on this case because if you're gonna spout off "1 in 10 facts" to try to sale the car you MIGHT wanna hold off on saying said "facts" to a Viper owner and instead save it for the other consumers. He straight up saw you get out of a 2000 RT/10 and still spouted if his "knowledge".

9 out of 10 salesmen, IMO, are idiots. And the person who doesn't do their research and decided on what they want to buy BEFORE seeing a salesman is a comparable idiot and deserves what he gets. ESPECIALLY when considering a large purchase such as a car or house.

I have to go to Fry's almost daily to pick up computer parts for some of my customers, there's too many times to list that I've witnessed the following:

1) The salesman selling a washer and dryer two days ago is now a PC expert giving you advice on what hard drive to buy.

2) A media/advertising believing salesman telling people that you HAVE to buy a Nvidia video card because it is "industry standard" and ATI video cards aren't as fast nor are they stable.

Simple logic would show that the LAST person to ever gain advice from would be a salesman in any industry.

badvr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey, do any of you guys know how many factory striped non acr gts's were made in steel gray? with black interior? j/w

cobramadness

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had a guy tell me a 97 b/w was a 01. He also told me $5k more than it was listed for...