What a good inexpensive rear wheel/tire setup for occasional drag racing?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last time out I used drag radials that fit my 17 inch wheels. I'm wondering what slicks (Purner?) fit on what wheels that have the same bolt pattern as a Viper. Make, model/part number as well as rough price would be appreciated.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just say <FONT size="5"><FONT COLOR="Red">NO</FONT c></FONT s> to mixing rear slicks with front radials. I've been advised by everyone who should know (including Purner himself) that radial fronts and bias rears is the trick setup for encountering a concrete barrier at half-track.

Drag radials on 16" wheels would probably be your best bet, followed by drag radials on 17" wheels. I believe Tom of BTR Viper was able to extract some excellent times from just such a setup.

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What setup was used for the 16" and 17" drag radials? I have been researching this for a bit now. Seems the only DR's to fit our cars are sized 275/40/17 to fit a 10x17 viper front wheel mounted in the rear. The only bigger size is a 315/35/17 which I believe Tom Welch said did not fit the 13x17 wheel too well. Is there a 16" alternative with more meat to put on the rear of the car?? Thanks!

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian, I used the 315/35/17 and yes I put it on my standard rear wheels!! Now I know everyone will jump on my back about how this doesn't work because the tire is too small but it does work quite well. Don't do it, then kill yourself and blame it on me, but although it looks a little odd, I've been through 2 full days of drags with this set up and had the tire pressure from 18 to 25 pounds with no problem. I think I'll go to even lower pressure next time but I really want to try slicks, I'm still not perfectly happy with my hook up.

Still would like to know what wheel (16 inch I'm assuming) and what slick are people happy with?

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My personal opinion....

Don't mess around with drag radials. Spend the few extra bucks to get the extra traction of ET streets. Get Purner's slick and skinny setup.

Depending on what you mean by "inexpensive", ~$2500 for wheels with ET streets on the back and skinnies on the front mounted and balanced isn't too bad....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phiebert:
Brian, I used the 315/35/17 and yes I put it on my standard rear wheels!.......2 full days of drags with this set up and had the tire pressure from 18 to 25 pounds with no problem. I think I'll go to even lower pressure next time........ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The manufacturer says NOT to mount the 315 on any rim wider than 12" The bead is stretched too wide, forcing the center section to "concave" esp at lower pressures. In addition to lessening traction, going lower pressure may become "Unsaf-er" still!

Also, be advised that true slicks, coupled with sticky hookups, are a proven formula to busticate OEM half-shafts. And ditto on Bens "dont mix" true slicks w/ radials, unless you want to get up-close-and-personal with a fence...........

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Jon, I've been living on the edge. We only have a 1/8th mile track here though so we don't get up to very high speeds. No excuse I guess. On the good side, I am running with Tom Welch's beefed up half shafts.