What amount of nitrous is safe on an 01'

viper newbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What amount of nitrous is safe on an 01\'

I was planning on running the nitrous/propane setup as well as eliminating the cats so I can run race gas when spraying for an extra level of protection against detonation. The car is a 2001 RT/10 with a 3in. corsa catback, high flows, smooth tubes, and K&N's. At any rate I have tried to contact Tom Welch at BTR twice now with no return. I have emailed him as well as called and have been unable to reach him. BTW I am not calling Mr. Welch out, I realize he is a very busy man. However, I am just wondering what will be safe to run on an 01' with propane? 150,200,250? Also, I already have a kit off my old C5 and I was going to convert it to propane instead of the usual wet system. I have already ordered a second fogger nozzle, second nitrous solenoid to replace the old fuel solenoid for the propane, all of the lines needed and a 5lb. DOT propane tank. So please if anyone could help me, what am I missing and what is safe to run. All help is appreciated. Thanks, Drew

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What amount of nitrous is safe on an 01\'

Sounds like you have it covered, just pick up an assortment of
jets - the propane:nitrous jet sizes - runs close to 1:2 so you need an assortment
running around 25:50 for a 200 shot. If you don't have one, get a windowRPM
switch. I prefer to run 3,000 to 5,500RPM. If you have a MSD unit - send
it back to MSD repair shop, to get it converted to 2 cylinder.(send $35 check)

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score

nitrous jets 52 propane jets 49 no fuel jets needed. i can give you the n2o propane gas jet sizes if you are going that route.
the jet sizes i gave you should yield you 595rwhp give or take.

any other ? about n20 propane p/m me.

OP
OP
V

viper newbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all of your help so far guys this is exactly what I was looking for. Trent I will PM you right now.One question why are you two guys so far apart on jet sizing. When comparing the two HP's version seems dangerously lean and trents seem pretty close to my usual nitrous/gas jets. Please guys keep these coming. Thanks again, Drew

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I run 52 on the nitrous and 26 on the propane - and right now I don't have
an enrichment module plugged in. I have a wideband A/F and I monitor it -
at WOT I'm around 11:1
I know my jets are about what BTR recommends for the NOS with the enrichment
module - but I can't tell that it really effects my A/F
However I do have a fuel pump booster and a DASTEK chip - so you have to
take that into consideration - but I have no idea how you could run the
propane jet near the size of the nitrous jet - You'll have to get feedback from Trent on that one. My car would stall-out running that rich.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HP,

I suggest that you jet up the propane to 40 for about 100 ft/lbs more torque and to compensate for the enrichment module.

As for Drew, I can't return calls without a party first leaving a message and I have not received a message from you, sir. I receive many calls each day and have reserved only a small amount of time for non customer freebie info gathering. I only open emails that are generated from my websites contact us page..as I get lots of spam. I hope you can understand.

Should anyone wish to purhase products from me, I am always available to return calls and answer questions concerning our products.

I may at some point in the future install a 900 line for technical support to supplement the time lost dealing with customer cars.

Thanks,

Tom

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom, it may just be a fluke with my mods, but so far I can tell little
difference in A/F with the enricher on or off. I watch my wideband like a hawk, and I watch for pinging - check plugs and pistons-but so far it's a safe 11/1 - and no pinging. I plan to plug it back, just had it off doing a little
investigative work, and that wasn't the culprit.
** I did post a disclaimer about my A/F vs jets - because my car has been tuned
and modded for max fuel flow. It stands to reason to always start on the
rich side and work toward the right A/F.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Drew,

I recently adapted my NX system from my previous Corvette, and had my window switch converted by MSD (I wouldn't want to run the N2O without the window switch) and it worked out fine.

I'm running 46/22 jets with the regular fuel system and then had the car dynoed, but not tuned (with additional jets).
It came out pig-rich (below 10.0) with 150HP jetting, but a lot depends on N2O tank pressure, and also the individual car and mods done.

Do a search here on the VCA site and you will find a few good posts about propane and N2O jetting.

-Dean.

OP
OP
V

viper newbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom, First off I very politely said that I realized you were a very busy man and completely understood you not immediately returning my E-MAILS. I did not leave you a message on your answering machine as I assumed the e-mails were enough and didn't want to seem pestering. BTW I used the e-mail option on the contact us page. And finally, I was non trying to simply gather free information. I had the exact information listed in the e-mail that is listed above and simply asked you what else I needed to do the conversion from N2O/Gas to N2O/Propane, and what you would charge me for those parts. Therefore I was not asking for freebie advice. I was asking for advice and some parts. So, Mr. Welch I appreciate you making up my mind for me. From what I have read here you are the man for nitrous/propane setups. However, thanks to your reply I have gathered that someone spending some money with you is much more important than your customer service. Thank you Sir.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The moment you find out it will probably be to late. lol. As others have said if the a/f is right the sky's the limit.

OP
OP
V

viper newbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

J, so true buddy. I was hoping someone had already been down that road and took notes. LOL I was hoping a 200 or 250 shot would be safe. I do know that just the slightest bit of detonation and a 350 shot tends to put the rings in the oil pan on a big block chevrolet. ;)

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm running 46/22 jets with the regular fuel system and then had the car dynoed, but not tuned (with additional jets).
It came out pig-rich (below 10.0) with 150HP jetting, but a lot depends on N2O tank pressure, and also the individual car and mods done.

Dean...can you post your A/F chart??? You were phat in the upper rpms, or the lower???

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Newbie,

Thanks for your response. I agree that the words CUSTOMER and SERVICE go togther. While I feel that prospective customers are of significant importance, giving prospects free service is not in my business plan. I'm glad I could help you make up your mind without wasting either of our precious time on this planet.

Your parts list looks complete. Good luck in your endeavors.

Tom

P.S. Your right! I am the MAN with nitrous and Propane! Its a combination that beats any form of forced air induction for Vipers today.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ive been considering this NOS/Prop set up myself. is this a complete kit or do i need to buy additional items?

OP
OP
V

viper newbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mr. Welch, thank you so much for your final answer. I appreciate that very much. Sorry if I came off as an *sshole. I just got a little impatient, thats all. If I could possibly receive one bit of FREEBIE information from you, It would make me very happy. The question I have been dying to know all along. What amount of nitrous/propane is safe to use on an 01' All other things perfect (A/F ratio, No Detonation, ect...)If you could answer me that one question I would be so very happy and openly apologize for my actions in my previous posts. Thanks once again, Drew

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Newbie-I suggest you go with the NX wet kit with 150 lb shot. I actually will be selling mine soon with 10lb bottle, heater, K&N intake kit and filters for $1000. I have only been thru 1 bottle. (reason for selling is that my car now feels slow with out spraying and I don't have anywheres close to fill the bottle, so I am putting twin turbos on this fall) PM me if you are interested.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Newbie-I suggest you go with the NX wet kit with 150 lb shot. I actually will be selling mine soon with 10lb bottle, heater, K&N intake kit and filters for $1000. I have only been thru 1 bottle. (reason for selling is that my car now feels slow with out spraying and I don't have anywheres close to fill the bottle, so I am putting twin turbos on this fall) PM me if you are interested.

Do you have a pic of this K&N intake kit on the car???

OP
OP
V

viper newbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan, I appreciate the offer. However, I already have the NX wet kit from my C5 and I have bought most of the other parts to make it work with propane instead of gas for fuel enrichment. Thanks for your offer though. Drew

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Newbie,

Every Viper computer seems to be slightly different in actual a/f ratio and your mods and driving style make a difference.

I would install the system and tune it for maximum power with an a/f of 11.0 on the dyno. (my findings have been between 160-190 RWHP on "creampuffs" with just propane as a fuel supplement. There is no hard and exact power number because of the above statement)

Tom

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dean...can you post your A/F chart??? You were phat in the upper rpms, or the lower???

Right after 3000RPMs the A/F ratio dove down and immediately flatlined at 10 (the lowest measurement), and didn't come off the bottom until the N2O was turned off at 5800RPM by the window switch.
It was running REALLY rich, which is most likely why I got less power than the jetting was set for (along with low tank pressure) probably.

-Dean.

OP
OP
V

viper newbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mr. Welch, Thank you so much for that information. That is pretty much what I had in mind. I plan to tune my car on a dyno equiped with a motec WBO2 so there shouldn't be any issues [knock on wood]. I had planned to run in the 11.0 to 11.5 A/F Ratio. I will be sure to call you if I need any parts to complete my conversion. Thanks once again, Drew

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No problem!

Remember, no leaner than 11.0. Your naca duct will "ram" air into the intake as acceleration builds and lean your mix somewhat. The little fans that are placed in front of the car on dynos are not accurate with regards to ram-air leaning. I personally like to run them at 11.0 or richer. See several examples on my website.

Tom

OP
OP
V

viper newbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks again Tom. I will make a mental note as I don't want to be the one to figure out exactly what it takes to pop an 01' ;)

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just make sure to check the pressure on your nitrous and propane bottles,
when you turn them on. If your pressures aren't consistent - your A/F won't
be either. If you don't have a bottle heater - you might use a hair dryer.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Screw you guuyz, I'm doing a 300 shot! --Eric Cartman

OP
OP
V

viper newbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HP, what do you usually try to run consistently 140 propane/900nitrous,150propane/1000nitrous,
160propane/1100nitrous. Just curious what is the best correlation of the two? BigCarrot, Keep us updated LOL ;) :D

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think Tom recommends 900 to 1000psi on the nitrous and 140-160psi on the
propane- I usually run the propane a little higher, I suppose it's the comfort I get from watching the needle rise. I generally watch the NOS
and keep it about 900, but I'll admit, I do guess at the NOS pressure sometimes , because
it's harder to see. All this may sound *****-nilly but when it counts, or
when I'm trying to zero it in, I try to be consistent(plus I always watch my
w/b meter). I have a heater for the NOS but- for now - the propane gets the
hair dryer on cooler days.

Temple30

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What is better Propane or Nos or both?? As far as power, safety ,cost ,eas of use? What should I be looking to spend on a good system? Sry if these ?'s have already been asked