What Are The Dangers Of....

NJVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.......eliminating a muffler completely???? For example...Loss of HP, damage to the engine (Back pressure???), etc...

Especially in a 2nd to California emissions state like NJ....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eliminating the muffler should be mandatory. Cheapest, most cost effective and benificial mod there is. Much better sound although not overwhelming (remove the cats for loud). My Viper dyno'd 424 with **** delete, tubes and filters.

Reaction score
You will be limiting your ability to carry on a conversation in the car for one
laugh.gif
Hand in hand with this problem may be a "db maximum" noise limit enforced by your state DMV in order to pass inspections!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3" straight thru Belangers behind stock cats. I'll bet that replacing the Belangers with pipe would sound just the same, if you leave the stock cats on that is.
I don't think you could harm the engine by removing any of the exhaust components. Well, I guess you could possibly warp the valves if you ran it right from the exhaust ports with no headers at all, of course that would probably set fire to something first.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On our race cars all we have are headers that come straight off the engine.

Some people will plug the headers quickly after the engine stops to keep cold air from getting to the valves and warping them.

Another problem is you have to wear special thermal shoes. First time I drove I smelled something funny only to find out my shoe was melting due to the exhaust being focused on the floor pan.

Finally, be prepared to suffer some major hearing loss.