What does the dipstick tell me?

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I pull the dipstick to see what the oil level is, one side of the stick is different than the other. For example, one side shows I am below the bottom "safe" line/zone, the other shows it above the top of the safe zone. What the heck. I have tried turning the stick, pulling it out quickly, slowly etc. Always the same result, so I am confused which is the proper measure.

Does anyone else have this problem? Which mark is correct?

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hot and cold levels? Oil expands with temperature, if there is one side that looks lower than the other, then this would be the cold side. Just a guess...

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you guys miss understood the OP. The oil on the dipstick is showing different levels on one side vs the other. Go with the line that's more definitive, sometimes one side will drag the oil tube. My 05' SRT 10 Ram has the WORST dipstick dodge every came out with, I'm paranoid so I check it about 5 or six times before I'm happy.

F

FrgMstr

From the owner's manual on my 2008.

"Checking the oil while the vehicle is on level ground will improve the accuracy of the oil level reading. Remove the engine oil dipstick . The dipstick is calibrated for 2 quarts within the SAFE zone."

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do the same...check it 5 or 6 times! Okay, so I do agree that one side looks like it may have dragged, that is the side with the higher level showing...thanks for the feedback. Looks like I am two quarts low. Since I installed a catch can, I have to add more oil between changes.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When checking the oil, I warm the engine up to full operating temp, shut it off, pull the dipstick, and set it aside for about 10-15 minutes or so. That lets the oil in the drain tube drain back to the pan. At that point, you can insert the dipstick fully and pull it back out to check the level. You can also rough up that section of the dipstick to make the oil stick a bit better.

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When checking the oil, I warm the engine up to full operating temp, shut it off, pull the dipstick, and set it aside for about 10-15 minutes or so. That lets the oil in the drain tube drain back to the pan. At that point, you can insert the dipstick fully and pull it back out to check the level. You can also rough up that section of the dipstick to make the oil stick a bit better.

Good suggestions, thank you. I will try the 15 mintues and then if that doesn't work I will rough up the stick.

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best to check the oil level after the car is cold. Engine not running for three hours or more. Pull the stick, wipe it off, reinsert, remove quickly and examine the level. That is as good as it gets. Top off as necessary.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't even use the dipstick because of that. :rolleyes:
I just put 11 quarts and call it good. -I know it can't be low cuz I just filled it with 11 quarts. ;)
The oil gets changed in my car often enough that I don't need to bother checking it. Always way less than 1000 miles.

I found this to be a low stress solution to the 'which side of the dipstick to trust' dilemma.

:eater:

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best to check the oil level after the car is cold. Engine not running for three hours or more. Pull the stick, wipe it off, reinsert, remove quickly and examine the level. That is as good as it gets. Top off as necessary.

This is what I've always done.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do the same...check it 5 or 6 times! Okay, so I do agree that one side looks like it may have dragged, that is the side with the higher level showing...thanks for the feedback. Looks like I am two quarts low. Since I installed a catch can, I have to add more oil between changes.
2qrts is a lot of oil, its more then any catch can will hold....

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2qrts is a lot of oil, its more then any catch can will hold....

Yeah, good point. I know I'm not burning oil...where the heck is it going? I do track it every couple months and drive it like I stole it. I don't think much if any is coming out the filter at the top of the can since I neither smell oil nor feel any around the area of the can.

Perhaps I am not reading the stick right, which was the reason why I asked the forum. I dunno. I guess I should just use Allan's approach.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Works for me. As long as there's no leaks, or an oil consumption problem with the motor, Fill it up and go.
I am changing the oil every other track day now, and I don't drive the car except for the commute to and from.

If it ever seems that I'm not getting 11 quarts out when I drain, I'll worry about the dipstick at that point.
I'm always more concerned about how much is left on the tires.

My car seems to have a 'tire consumption problem'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62