What does tune mean in Viper language

Viper Fever

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was reading the post about the Vec 2 and have read other post about
needing to tune. My question is do you have to have the Vec-2 to tune
is it all done on computer cards. I have never done any sort of tuning to
my vipers just thought the computer took care of that. Outside of the
computer is there anything that can be done or should be except for plugs.
Would like the Viper to run its very best.
Please excuse my 60's mentality.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was reading the post about the Vec 2 and have read other post about
needing to tune. My question is do you have to have the Vec-2 to tune
is it all done on computer cards. I have never done any sort of tuning to
my vipers just thought the computer took care of that. Outside of the
computer is there anything that can be done or should be except for plugs.
Would like the Viper to run its very best.
Please excuse my 60's mentality.
Didn't they have "timing" in the 60's?

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a stock viper, there really isn't anything to tune other than just making sure that everything like the plugs are working correctly.

If you add a controller like the VEC2, that allows you to adjust timing and fuel delivery to the engine in order to optimize it for power. On a near stock engine this might gain you a little power or smoother running, but not really necessary. On a heavily modified engine, you need a way to 'tune' the engine to compensate for things like larger fuel injectors which are outside the range of the stock PCM to handle.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a stock viper, there really isn't anything to tune other than just making sure that everything like the plugs are working correctly.
Ken's generally correct, to the extent that a stock "factory tuned" Viper is properly tuned. Depending on the Viper, you could pick up 0 HP or 50 HP with the proper tuning of a stock set-up. The factory is less concerned with maximizing output than "safety" for the purposes of warranty. The tuning becomes exponentially more important with HP/TQ modifications as he stated.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken's generally correct, to the extent that a stock "factory tuned" Viper is properly tuned. Depending on the Viper, you could pick up 0 HP or 50 HP with the proper tuning of a stock set-up. The factory is less concerned with maximizing output than "safety" for the purposes of warranty. The tuning becomes exponentially more important with HP/TQ modifications as he stated.

Yeah, I was speaking in the context that there is nothing that needs occasional tuning to keep the car running at factory performance like you used to have to do on the older cars.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dodge will tend to have a conservative tune.
1. to pass emissions.(leaner around idle)
2. to make the motor last through warranty(fat on top)
There is no adjustments without VEC/VECII or similar.
There is a cam position sensor in timing cover, as well as a crank position sensor for timing/fuel adjustment by PCM.

Basic and simple maint. to keep car running well.
air filter,plugs,plug wires(8-9 yrs old!),fuel filter and fresh tranny and diff lube. Brake fluid may need a freshen up. Oh, also with mileage o2 sensors (X 4)