What is it worth? 2006 Yellow Coupe

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im gonna ruffle some feathers with this one but Im gonna tell like I see it..

Ive had a 99 and a 2003 Viper.....

The 2003 has MUCH better fit and finish
The 2003 has MUCH better interior
The 2003 has MUCH better brakes
The 2003 has slightly better 1/4 mile performance
The 2003 has MUCH better track performance
The 2003 has a slightly higher top speed
The 2003 is MUCH easier to daily drive
The 2003 has a much better clutch/brake/gas lay out
The 2003 has a much nicer looking engine lay out

The GTS has a slightly nicer look than the 2003 vert but falls a lil short to the 2006 coupe but that is subjective
The GTS has a kooler opening hood

I had the 99 first and after going to the srt10 I could never drive a gen 2 again...Honestly my 91 nsx has a nicer interior and better fit and finish then my 99 Viper did..But the SRT10 blows my nsx away in those same catergories..

After a few months you'll be washing your GTS and notice that the gaps on the hood and lights and ect are all off and you'll be trying to adjust things...They were just not very cleanly fitting from the factory..

It's up to you..But I swear on everything I hold dear that the SRT10's are just better cars in pretty much every way...

The deal breaker for me is that these days you can buy base model 436 HP C6's for 47K...436 HP is right their with a 450 HP GTS...Atleaste with a SRT10 your in the 510 HP realm and still in the upper echelon even if just barely..

But again it's your coin...

Id highly suggest driving both in the same day...If you still want the GTS after that then theirs nonthing anyone can tell you

You must have gotten a totaled P.O.S.:dunno:
More girly comforts ????Maybe:D
Dual TB`s look much cooler.;)
The style has gen III beat all to hell.:2tu:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look...I read your last post and you said it's all relative and that you know your 500 rwhp and 530 rwt is nonthing compared to a roe or tt...Honestly it's nonthing compared to a stock 08 or few bolt on 03 or full bolt on 1996...

Dyno numbers just dont tell any real stories...for example..When my SRT10 was only 480 rwhp I layed the smack on the 600 rwhp Supra...Now by dyno numbers and ect...that Supra guy should easily be able to handle a viper..but the reality is that Viper produce low end tourque like no car you have ever driven...It's a freaking 8.0-8.4 litre engine...While the Supra had seemingly no low end grunt in comparison and the race was won by the Viper in the first few seconds....Dyno numbers are good for comparing against other like models...But a vette and a viper engine are 100% totally differant....

I had a 380 rwhp C5...And I swear to you that Im not yanking your chain when I say that in the low rpm's that stock Viper will feel like it would ***** slap your 500 rwhp vette...

My 100% STOCK 99 vIPER MADE 465 RWT SAE on a dyno jet...But the torque comes on extremely low in the rpm's..It is a totally differant experiance..

Vettes make hardly any low rpm power in the LS1-LS7's...Even my friends 100% stock C6Z06 only dynoed 430 RWT on the same dyno jet and it put down 455 rwhp...Most of that tourque came past 4000 rpms....My stock 2003 SRT10 made 500 RWT on the same dyno on the same day as the C6Z06 and most of it's power was their past only 2500 rpm's...

At just 2500 rpm's a stock 1996 GTS will have around 100 more rwt than a C6Z06..Im hopeing that you are starting to under stand why you read all these stories of Vipers being wrecked just in the parking lot by dodge workers or people wrecking them when just making a lane change and barely giving any throttle...

A blown 500 rwhp vette is no where near a good indication that you can handle a GTS..The LS engines are smooth in power and delivery and very docile in the low rpm's..Even a blower only adds more upper rpm power..Especially if it is centrifugical ( SPELLING) VERSES ROOTS.....Roots would give you a some what better idea but still no where near the level of a stock GTS....A bone stock GTS will buck around a parking lot bro..I mean LITERALLY buck back in fourth like a ********** lion in a cage...And even a slight 1/4 inch drop of your foot will result in a huge reaction from that lion trying to escape...ESPECIALLY if you go with a 99 GTS that has the factory 708 camshaft...They are just evil beaste..

Viper owners make it look very easy because most have tamed or atleaste think they have tamed their snakes..But it takes a LOT to actually master a Viper...Hell my wife used to drive and street race my 380 rwhp C5 like it was nonthing..She was scared of the Vipers and never even tried...

Ive wrecked two vipers....In a Vette at 70 mph you can drop the hammer and just ride her out...Even with 500 rwhp in a vette the kick just isnt really their till they wind out the rpm's just a little..My friends 500 rwhp C6Z06 is a great indication of this...Hell he can drop the hammer at 50 mph and have no problems what so ever.....I wrecked both my viper dropping the hammer at 70-75 mph in third gear.....Thaink about that for a second..75 mph in third gear I dropped the hammer for a quick acelleration run...The tourque of the car over powered the rear wheels and put them both into spins...At 75 freaking mph in near stock cars....Moist cars cant even spin the tires at 75 mph...A stock viper can not only spin the tires at that speed but jump you into another lane.....

With all that said Ill be getting another Viper..but it will be a SRT10....They are a little easier...

Hell, I guess it's all good and it's just a good thing that another vette owner has decided to convert...Hope you like attention....

My C5 had 380 rwhp back in 2004 ( good amount of power back then) it had black Z06 rims and black racing stripes and every light and window was black and tinted out against a white exterior paint..The car was loud as hell as I deleted the cats and mufflers....The point is that it was a sweet ride and I was building it to get attention when I pulled up...

I got more people asking questions and taking pictures of the 99 Viper in two weeks than I did in that vette in 2 years...

Tatally differant experiance and what ever you decide I hope you enjoy it....

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ You are getting way too excited about this.....

Something doesn't add up... you are spinning the tires in third gear at 75 mph on the highway? How much HP were you making at the wheels?

You are saying that 540 rwtq is nothing, but how much tq were the Vipers that you wrecked made? So your stock SRT put down 500 rwtq, but that is some how more than 540 rwtq of my Maggie Vette???

Last edited:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look...I read your last post and you said it's all relative and that you know your 500 rwhp and 530 rwt is nonthing compared to a roe or tt...Honestly it's nonthing compared to a stock 08 or few bolt on 03 or full bolt on 1996...

Dyno numbers just dont tell any real stories...for example..When my SRT10 was only 480 rwhp I layed the smack on the 600 rwhp Supra...Now by dyno numbers and ect...that Supra guy should easily be able to handle a viper..but the reality is that Viper produce low end tourque like no car you have ever driven...It's a freaking 8.0-8.4 litre engine...While the Supra had seemingly no low end grunt in comparison and the race was won by the Viper in the first few seconds....Dyno numbers are good for comparing against other like models...But a vette and a viper engine are 100% totally differant....

I had a 380 rwhp C5...And I swear to you that Im not yanking your chain when I say that in the low rpm's that stock Viper will feel like it would ***** slap your 500 rwhp vette...

My 100% STOCK 99 vIPER MADE 465 RWT SAE on a dyno jet...But the torque comes on extremely low in the rpm's..It is a totally differant experiance..

Vettes make hardly any low rpm power in the LS1-LS7's...Even my friends 100% stock C6Z06 only dynoed 430 RWT on the same dyno jet and it put down 455 rwhp...Most of that tourque came past 4000 rpms....My stock 2003 SRT10 made 500 RWT on the same dyno on the same day as the C6Z06 and most of it's power was their past only 2500 rpm's...

At just 2500 rpm's a stock 1996 GTS will have around 100 more rwt than a C6Z06..Im hopeing that you are starting to under stand why you read all these stories of Vipers being wrecked just in the parking lot by dodge workers or people wrecking them when just making a lane change and barely giving any throttle...

A blown 500 rwhp vette is no where near a good indication that you can handle a GTS..The LS engines are smooth in power and delivery and very docile in the low rpm's..Even a blower only adds more upper rpm power..Especially if it is centrifugical ( SPELLING) VERSES ROOTS.....Roots would give you a some what better idea but still no where near the level of a stock GTS....A bone stock GTS will buck around a parking lot bro..I mean LITERALLY buck back in fourth like a ********** lion in a cage...And even a slight 1/4 inch drop of your foot will result in a huge reaction from that lion trying to escape...ESPECIALLY if you go with a 99 GTS that has the factory 708 camshaft...They are just evil beaste..

Viper owners make it look very easy because most have tamed or atleaste think they have tamed their snakes..But it takes a LOT to actually master a Viper...Hell my wife used to drive and street race my 380 rwhp C5 like it was nonthing..She was scared of the Vipers and never even tried...

Ive wrecked two vipers....In a Vette at 70 mph you can drop the hammer and just ride her out...Even with 500 rwhp in a vette the kick just isnt really their till they wind out the rpm's just a little..My friends 500 rwhp C6Z06 is a great indication of this...Hell he can drop the hammer at 50 mph and have no problems what so ever.....I wrecked both my viper dropping the hammer at 70-75 mph in third gear.....Thaink about that for a second..75 mph in third gear I dropped the hammer for a quick acelleration run...The tourque of the car over powered the rear wheels and put them both into spins...At 75 freaking mph in near stock cars....Moist cars cant even spin the tires at 75 mph...A stock viper can not only spin the tires at that speed but jump you into another lane.....

With all that said Ill be getting another Viper..but it will be a SRT10....They are a little easier...

Hell, I guess it's all good and it's just a good thing that another vette owner has decided to convert...Hope you like attention....

My C5 had 380 rwhp back in 2004 ( good amount of power back then) it had black Z06 rims and black racing stripes and every light and window was black and tinted out against a white exterior paint..The car was loud as hell as I deleted the cats and mufflers....The point is that it was a sweet ride and I was building it to get attention when I pulled up...

I got more people asking questions and taking pictures of the 99 Viper in two weeks than I did in that vette in 2 years...

Tatally differant experiance and what ever you decide I hope you enjoy it....

Its posts like this that make me question how some of you own the things you do. :dunno: BTW, spell check can be your friend if you dont know how to spell. :crazy2:

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old Gen 2 made around 575ish to the tires and ran 11.2 ar near 132 NA -pump gas stock tires .My Gen 4 ran 11.3 at near 130 totally stock on stock tires .The above being said the Gen 2 because of the low end progressive powerband was MUCH less dangerious to drive than the Gen 4 whose powerband EXPLODES up top (Where the GEN 2 was DONE the GEN 4 started ).

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on my 8th (9th?) Viper. Most were Gen II's, and two Gen III's. I think the GTS looks best. I've had one Roe supercharged, and one Paxton. 830rwhp on the faster Paxton.

Both of my Gen III coupes were stock. Which would I choose?

Hands down, I'd choose the SRT coupe. You can't compare the two on the track (road course that is). Twister is right about the Gen II braking. They'll lock up eventually on you. Having ABS helps though. Gen III brakes are a HUGE improvement. The clincher for me is that a Gen III can have a Maxcare warranty added to it (as long as it's less than 4 years old). For me, having that warranty is great piece of mind.

P.S. - Austin, please excuse my sentence fragments, I'm in a rush :)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ You are getting way too excited about this.....

Something doesn't add up... you are spinning the tires in third gear at 75 mph on the highway? How much HP were you making at the wheels?

You are saying that 540 rwtq is nothing, but how much tq were the Vipers that you wrecked made? So your stock SRT put down 500 rwtq, but that is some how more than 540 rwtq of my Maggie Vette???

still not following me..you can have 700 rwt but if it dosent start realy brewing till 5 k rpm's...not going to effect you as much leaving a stop sighn or red light or barely tapping the gas on a lane change...Those Vipers may only have 450-500 rwt..but they come on just a bit past 2500 rpm's...You leave a stop sighn at what????1500 rpm's or so...Meaning that while your barely doing 10 mph the car is around 2500 rpm's..So even though you have the intention of slowly rolling on to the gas to merge or leave that red light or stop sighn..To your gen 2 your at 2500 rpm's and it's delivering that 450 rwt....Meaning it will EASILY roast the tires weather you want to or not and put you into a spin...

As a matter of fact I was just talking to a friend of mine today...He sold me his supercharged/nos nsx and then went and bought a 2004 SRT10..Sure enough he wrecked it on the freeway when he gave a lil gas and spun the car into the medium :dunno:

Ive wrecked two..He wrecked that one and my other friend bought his wrecked....That low end tourque is VIOLANT...Go to Wrecked Exotic Cars - Pictures of Expensive Car Crashes and Wrecks and see what cars are their....

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
still not following me..you can have 700 rwt but if it dosent start realy brewing till 5 k rpm's...not going to effect you as much leaving a stop sighn or red light or barely tapping the gas on a lane change...Those Vipers may only have 450-500 rwt..but they come on just a bit past 2500 rpm's...You leave a stop sighn at what????1500 rpm's or so...Meaning that while your barely doing 10 mph the car is around 2500 rpm's..So even though you have the intention of slowly rolling on to the gas to merge or leave that red light or stop sighn..To your gen 2 your at 2500 rpm's and it's delivering that 450 rwt....Meaning it will EASILY roast the tires weather you want to or not and put you into a spin...

As a matter of fact I was just talking to a friend of mine today...He sold me his supercharged/nos nsx and then went and bought a 2004 SRT10..Sure enough he wrecked it on the freeway when he gave a lil gas and spun the car into the medium :dunno:

Ive wrecked two..He wrecked that one and my other friend bought his wrecked....That low end tourque is VIOLANT...Go to Wrecked Exotic Cars - Pictures of Expensive Car Crashes and Wrecks and see what cars are their....

I am following you.... take a look at my A6 C6 maggie dyno graph. Nearly 540 rwtq at 3500 rpm. It went 11.0 at 128 mph leaving off idle. I drove a bolt on GTS... It isn't as violent as you are describing. I've had big cube stroked vettes, so the low end torque that you are talking about was similar to what I've had in the past. If you are comparing bone stock vettes or a stock C6 Z06, that is a different story - those cars are "slow" in my eyes.

Nevermind.... you are right. It is probably too much for me....:rolleyes:

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on my 8th (9th?) Viper. Most were Gen II's, and two Gen III's. I think the GTS looks best. I've had one Roe supercharged, and one Paxton. 830rwhp on the faster Paxton.

Both of my Gen III coupes were stock. Which would I choose?

Hands down, I'd choose the SRT coupe. You can't compare the two on the track (road course that is). Twister is right about the Gen II braking. They'll lock up eventually on you. Having ABS helps though. Gen III brakes are a HUGE improvement. The clincher for me is that a Gen III can have a Maxcare warranty added to it (as long as it's less than 4 years old). For me, having that warranty is great piece of mind.

P.S. - Austin, please excuse my sentence fragments, I'm in a rush :)

Thanks for your input! I am definately keeping my eyes open for both a GTS or Gen III coupe.

Just some insight on my plans, I was looking at owning a GTS first for a couple of years and then moving to another car (Gen III)....that has typically been my track record over the last 8 years. I get tired of car quickly.:crazy2:

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't read all of this, but am I reading this right? 06 Coupes are going for low 40's even in the 30's?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! I am definately keeping my eyes open for both a GTS or Gen III coupe.

Just some insight on my plans, I was looking at owning a GTS first for a couple of years and then moving to another car (Gen III)....that has typically been my track record over the last 8 years. I get tired of car quickly.:crazy2:

No problem. At the end of the day, both the Gen II and Gen III have their advantages and disadvantages. Depends on what you want. Gen II is more "raw" I think, which some consider a positive. The SRT grew on me, I didn't like it at first.

Both are great cars. You have to just buy which car "feels" right for you at the time. Sounds like you and I are alike... we switch cars a lot. Everytime I sell my Viper to get something else (non-Viper), I always come back to the brand. I don't think there's another car out there that comes close in terms of performance and price (and I'm saying that as a former owner of almost every exotic out there, not just as a Viper enthusiast).

I have a feeling you'll get a Gen II, drive it for a while, and then you'll get a Gen III. If you get a Gen III first, you'll probably get a Gen II eventually. If I had more garage space, I wouldn't mind owning both simultaneously.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang