What is normal Valve train noise?

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my 06 Viper for a bit. It runs strong..but the Valvetrain is very loud. I thought it to be normal, but definitely if i heard this out of my truck I'd be looking for a problem.
I saw some old threads saying cars run smooth and there is no excessive noise.

I wish I knew what noise is excessive or not. Oil pressure is good. Oil and water temps run good even after driving for an hour. The car runs like a champ even to redline. Hmm.
Any advice?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Have you got any mods on your car? The open nature of the hood vents add to the noise some I think. I put a cam in my car and had to swap to hardened pushrods and different springs and mine was really loud as well. Certainly more than stock, but even before sitting at a stoplight with the top down it had that characteristic sewing machine sound. Some of that ticking noise is potentially injectors as well. They are electro mechanical devices and have a similar tick noise when operating, and with 10 of them you certainly have more to listen to vs a more typical passenger car engine. The Viper also doesn't really have much for engine noise shielding like a lot of modern cars. You have the hood pad, but no engine cover like most other modern vehicles, so easier to let the noise out for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VaderViper

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good deal. I assume the car is stock from all I could tell. I'm still digging into the car as I bought it from a dealer and not an owner. It's nice when you can get info from a previous owner.