What is the best header, exhaust, etc......

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this has probably been answered before, but I need help in deciding which headers, exhaust, high-flow cat set up to go with. I have a '98 GTS that I will be using on the street most of the time, but would like to start getting it on the track for 1/4 miles also. The engine is stock now. I am not sure how far I will go with mods., but I plan on more mods. next summer. I would like to avoid problems with heat etc. from the headers.
I know many of you have different setups. Can you tell me what your setup, along with HP gains, problems and cost etc.! Any great deals out there?
Thanks
Casey

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casey,

I'm in the same boat as you. Currently, I am considering the following combo: Mopar Borla exhaust, TNT headers (yes, I know they are ridiculously expensive) and high flow cats (either from Sean Roes or Jon B. who advertised a rather expensive set a few weeks ago. According to him, they produced the highest flow rate he has ever seen. I think the cost was around $780 a set).

I have also heard good things about the Corsa exhaust.

I'm basically interested in what will produce the greatest bhp gain with nice sound (I am not a freak about the sound, however would like something deeper and a little meaner sounding. Yet, without being ridiculously LOUD).

Any advice for me and Casey?

Thanks,

-Will

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the archives; tons of info from the very recent past.

Obtain assurance that exhaust mods will not precipitate a check engine light, lest you wind up (like many others) seeking resolution to a whole different problem (a fix does not currently exist).

Perform a customary search, seek references, competitive pricing, features, benefits, etc. Develop criteria, stack up the vendors, rank each accordingly.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had both the Borla/Mopar and Corsa on my 2000GTS.

For me/my ears the Borla was too noisy with a bad droning noise at cruise rpm.

I love my Corsa,very nice deep noise at idle and under acceleration but very quiet when you cruise.

You should try to get a ride in Vipers with both systems to decide which one is "better" for you.

I am in Monterey/Salinas if you want to try the Corsa.

Luc.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the check engine light, here is my current understanding:

* In general, you will get the check light if you change headers on a '00+ car. It can often take 1000+ miles to show up.

Exceptions:
* You will not get the check light if you use a MOPAR ECU.
* You will not get the check light if you use CDI headers and install the O2 sensor in the upper position; however, this approach only provides O2 readings from one cylinder rather than the whole bank.
* If you have a '01 car, you will not get the check light from headers if you have TSB 11-18-01 applied to your car.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good news for those that like both sound and performance, Corsa is within a week of announcing the availability of their system in a 3" size. They plan to have sound bytes and dyno sheets on their web site. Look for the news here.... hmmm, I guess the news is already here
smile.gif

If you do a search of the UBB for "exhaust" and "headers" you'll have plenty of posts to read.

The new server handles searches pretty well compared to the old one.

Reaction score
Will, Stop by the "Happy Days Diner", on Union near Curtner in Campbell, around 6 PM. You will be able to hear and see Vipers with different mods. We are expecting cars with CDI, TNT and Balenger headers. "Exhaust note" is subjective so it may be very worth while to hear different set-ups before you buy. I hope Ben can join us.

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion
smile.gif

I've been looking around for the best option myself with a bang for the buck eyeball along an ear for the most exotic sound;

The choice for this kid's next buy is Belanger Headers, Hi Flow cats and B&B exhaust hands down--Looks nice, has a low pitched ominous growl down low to an absolutely intoxicating exotic whail when wound up.. LOVE IT!!!!!!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some of you might now, I'm in the market and can't decide on what header / cat back to go with when I get my supercharger done by Doug.
I've repeatably read that the Bellanger are gauranteed to make 50HP once installed (or was that RWHP?). I looked on the page above on Ben Treynor's page and saw that over stock w/ Bellanger Cat back and headers, his car made 16 additional RWHP.. ????

is that correct? I also noticed that removing cats gave another 7 HP? Why is that number so low from what I've been reading that Bellanger header / cat back combo will make?

Thanks
Gerald

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"The Best" depend on you!

Where/how do you drive?

Prioritize your HP quest vs sound/tone priority..
(exotic Ferrari-like or Cobra-like?)

Install or heat concerns?

Plan a lot of motor mods or a few?

Planning to change cats?

Will a possible / occasional check-light make you crazy or correctly concerned? {your 98 likley immune}

Is budget a factor? HP and the BE$T costs the Mo$t.

Tally up the plus+minus, divide by HP, add 25% of budget, and VOILA! Or call me !

Reaction score
We install the Belanger headers, our 3" high-flow cats, and the 2.5" Corsa cat-back. The Belangers really do fit and perform well (we get between 25-35hp, depending ont the year), and the Corsa has the nicest sound (in my opinion) with none of the nasty resonance that some systems give. We dynoed our 3" cats at about a 10rwhp gain on Ben's car (no nitrous).
I'll let you all know how the 3" Corsa cat-back installs and sounds as soon as we install one, which should be shortly after they're released!

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hi Bill,
Some shops already have the 3" Corsa. Let us know........

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill/APEX Motorsports:
I'll let you all know how the 3" Corsa cat-back installs and sounds as soon as we install one, which should be shortly after they're released!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth