What is the best way to acheive 600 RWHP with a Viper ?

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Gang ,
I currently own a Supercharged Convertable C5 ..It puts down 630 RWHP and 540 RWTQ.

I'm considering selling it and purchasing a 2000-2001 RT/10. I'm not a big fan of N2O , but I love being Blown :laugh:

So I would like to get an SC installed on my RT but I don't want to sacrifice the car's reliability.

What do you suggest as the best path to take to acheive a reliable 600 RWHP Viper ??

Thanks for your input ! This looks like a great Forum ;)

Cheers

Jeff

OP
OP
Y

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much boost do you think a Stock Viper can handle?? I know on a C5 you don't want to push over 5 PSI unless you have forged internals.

Cheers

Jeff

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then dont buy a 2000-2001. 1999 and earlier models have forged pistons, and can take a few more punds of boost than the cast pos... I mean pis-tons.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, if you do purchase a 2000 or up cast piston car call Doug Levin Motorsports. DLM has a lot of cast piston cars that make close to 700 rear wheel horsepower without doing other mods :) . It may cost you more but when you add up the cost of all the other mods you need to make that much power your already there with the cost for the supercharger system alone.

Cheers,
Chuck

OP
OP
Y

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would Dodge go from Forged Pistons to Cast ?? I would think that a forged set up would be more reliable.

Thanks !

Jeff

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I doubt the Cast Pistons are any less reliable than the Forged Pistons on a stock car. Remember that a stock viper comes with ~400rwhp not 600rwhp. DC did not design the V10 for SCing.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600 RWHP for a blower car is cheap and relatively easy to do. You could also consider going with a heads and cam package... There area few heads and cam cars running around with 600 at the wheels but most good combinations will yeild 560/560. Not bad for N/A.

Just another thought.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both DC and DLM know what they are doing. The cast pistons are not like the old ones of yesteryear - they are high tech hyperuetectic and will easily handle 1000hp provided you don't detonate... but trust me - if you detonate bad at those power levels - no forged piston will handle it either! I can show you bits of al forged pistons as proof... :)

Detonation is your enemy, not which year V10 you get. The secret is in good tuning, and if you want to tune it fine - you'll need a good knock sensor, otherwise run boost retard and tune it for the worst conditions you'll drive it in hard. or buy a DLM/Heffner type kit that comes tuned and installed - they've done that homework for you.

Anyone who would run an older V10 just to get forged pistons when they could run the later engine is going backwards IMHO.... no flame intended if anyone did that.... but I wouldn't.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both DC and DLM know what they are doing. The cast pistons are not like the old ones of yesteryear - they are high tech hyperuetectic and will easily handle 1000hp provided you don't detonate... but trust me - if you detonate bad at those power levels - no forged piston will handle it either! I can show you bits of al forged pistons as proof... :)

Detonation is your enemy, not which year V10 you get. The secret is in good tuning, and if you want to tune it fine - you'll need a good knock sensor, otherwise run boost retard and tune it for the worst conditions you'll drive it in hard. or buy a DLM/Heffner type kit that comes tuned and installed - they've done that homework for you.

Anyone who would run an older V10 just to get forged pistons when they could run the later engine is going backwards IMHO.... no flame intended if anyone did that.... but I wouldn't.
Good points made here.D.C went to these pistons as they are lighter and make a much better ring/cyl seal than forged,and no they are not the cast pistons of old,they are very underated.That being said, forged will handle higher levels of boost better.Just dont under rate the importance of tunning as it is the key or the grenade

OP
OP
Y

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both DC and DLM know what they are doing.

Who is DC ? I'm familiar with DLM... What is DC's URL ?

I'm not opposed to going with a nice H/C set up..I wasn't aware that you could hit the High 500's with just Heads and Cam on a Viper..This may be another excellent option.

Thanks Guys !

Cheers

Jeff

P.S Any tuners in Southern Cali that you reccomend ??

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who is DC ? I'm familiar with DLM... What is DC's URL ?
I'm not opposed to going with a nice H/C set up..I wasn't aware that you could hit the High 500's with just Heads and Cam on a Viper..This may be another excellent option.
Thanks Guys !
Cheers
Jeff

P.S Any tuners in Southern Cali that you reccomend ??

Daniel Cragin in Los Angeles, CA is a highly respected tuner. You can read a lot about him on this forum. Just do a search.
You must be registered for see images

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC = Dick? ... Daniel? never thought about that :) I thought I meant Daimler Chrysler who own Dodge and chose the high tech piston ;) but glad to hear there is DC in CA.

Of course as well as a DC in CA, I can CU in PA, ...now where's my pill box... i just gotta file a BT on the AP, then run a pap smear on the CU. 10/4 :)

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew what you meant Torquemonster. I'm just mess'in with the Newbie.... This comedy stuff is tuff....

P.S. - Dick Chalong is really a famous **** star.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
out of curiousity which heads/cam packages out there produce close to 600rwhp reliably?

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With our LETHAL 650 package, we are knocking on the door. Keep in mind the cam we use is MILD and passes the sniffer in CA. Certainly we could get higher power levels if emissions is not an issue for you.

We use our own combination of hardware and pressures:valves, springs, retainers, so your engine will last!

Another thing we do is FOCUS ON POWER AND TORQUE across the rpm band!! (Not just peak numbers for bragging rights) Look at the dyno below. You'll notice the amount of power and torque we make at 2500-4500rpms. This is an important range we shoot for.

http://www.apexmotorsports.com/viper/650dyno_bg.gif

We also offer in-house tuning on our dynojet.
Good luck in your quest!
-Wayne

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
emissions is not a problem for me, but tuning is since I am across the nation in Ny :( Anyway I can get my hands on your package for someone else to install for me? I have Chuck Tator in my back yard and he is willing to do the work, Pleaaaaaaaaase :)

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moundir -

You can also look into RSI and dare I say Henn.essey Performance. (especially if you are doing the install yourself) That is what I did! They both use similar combinations of parts.

Anyway, I am a big fan of N/A power.

Regards,

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin, how much hp did your Hen heads/cam put out without the spray? I would love to see 580+ rwhp from heads/cam and bolt ons :D If not, I will just wait and supercharge the [******] :p

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moundir-
We can certainly work something out for a local installation for you. We have tried over a dozen, custom camshaft profiles to optimize power and torque with our heads. If smog is not an issue, then we can certainly make you happy!! A more aggressive cam will diminish low end drivability, but you will be rewarded with top end power! Check your e-mail and give me a call.

-Wayne

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHEN we Gonna see some of these LETHAL Packages in action on the Drag Strip?

How about the V-10 Nationals???????????

All the Big boys are coming!

No Flame intended

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yo,

We can send you a set of heads with 2.10 intake valves(an industry first), milled to increase compression to your desire, ultimate port and polish, that will flow over 300 CFM at usable cam lifts, with a cam to match that when combined with a decent exhaust system, will put you where you want to be.

So, raise up off the wallet and the keyboard and give us a call. BTW, Chuck Tator has installed our cylinder heads on local customer Vipers in your area in the recent past.

For more information about our products and our industry leading performance guarantees, check out our website at the link below.

Tom

"Proof is in the Pudding" and now you can afford to have some!

OP
OP
Y

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne , I see that APEX is in California..I'm impressed with the #'s on the Lethal 750 Pkg.

If you don't mind me asking what size cam do you install to hit those numbers?? Do you do SC installations also ?

The thought of putting down 650 RWHP with a NA motor is very appealing..I'm sure that it would be a much more reliable set up vs an SC.

Cheers

Jeff

Tommy K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeff,
I've always been a fan of your MMS vert...very sharp car!! You're gonna love the Vipers. BTW, these motors are sooo different. Even if you build an N/A Viper to 550-600 rwhp, the TQ is gonna be way extreme as compared to your C5! Won't need those 4.10's, that's for sure! Then your just a small/reliable shot away from 800+rwtq. Later and good luck on your buy.

OP
OP
Y

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tommy ,
thanks for the Compliment :) !~
Are you a member at the Vette forum ??

I love my C5 , but I'm ready for a change.

I'm on the hunt for a 2000/2001 RT.

:cool:

Cheers

Jeff

Tommy K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeff, anytime. Give Todd at www.NaplesMotorsports.com a call. I've bought 2 Vipers from him, and they're both low mile gems. Has 2 dealerships, the other is in Mass. Good luck on your hunt. Be prepared to be a rockstar! Later

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne,

Once I get my VEC1 from Sean Roe and installed, I am planning on having you guys dyno tune my car.

-Dean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang