What is this worth as a collectible?

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a freind that owns the very first Viper built in 1996 when they made the change to the Gen II car, serial number 1. Its in red with the yellow wheels. It only has 630 miles on it too. We where just thinking as a collector car it might have more value.

thanks

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We're talking about the "Ketchup/Mustard" viper. Not sure of the years Dodge made these but if its a 96 then it is a Gen 1.5 and if it is a 97 then it is a Gen 2. Only the GTS in 96 was a Gen 2. Hard to believe that Dodge released this car. I tend to believe that someone here on VCA (the guy that was asking what viper to add to his growing stable of vipers) has a 96 GTS that is serial number 3 so he would have a better idea on the value than us common folk.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was under the impresion that Viper VIN don't run in order. So 1 could have been the last? Someone who knows more about this please comment.

OP
OP
M

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its the ketchup mustard car and it is definetley the first one produced in 96. Its the 415hp car with rear exit exhaust not side exhaust.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a Gen I. And it should be an RT correct? Gen IIs have the 450hp engine. And the RT GenIIs began with the 97 model. 96 was the year when the RT moved from side to rear exhaust, higher hp engine (415hp), OBDII and shared something (don't remember) with the new GTS. So as Gerald says, Gen 1.5.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I believe it had some shared suspension components, the newer Michellin Pilot sports, unique paint schemes and was the ONLY year to have plexi slider windows versus the zip 'er up clear vinyl ones.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a Gen I car. According to the Viper Buyers Guide it should be one of the more collectible Vipers. It rated a 4 out of 5 stars for collectible Vipers. Of course, all the '96 "special editions" were rated that. If you have the first I would think it would be worth more. I looked into buying the Blue/white '96 version, but went with a faster '99 GTS. The one I bought is actually rated lower for collectibiilty. There's plenty of info in the Viper Buyer's Guide. It's like $15 on Amazon. Check it out. Pretty good.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its the ketchup mustard car and it is definetley the first one produced in 96. Its the 415hp car with rear exit exhaust not side exhaust.
Vipers were not produced in VIN order, so its hard to know whether it was really the first one off the production line. Irreguardless, VIN 1 will still be collectable to *someone*, whether it was really the first one off the line or not.

Yes, all 1996 RTs were transition cars; Gen 1 engine, Gen II suspension, Gen 1 body (hood and doors, especially - no louvers in the hood, no door handles), Gen II exhaust (rear exit), only year with the plexi slider side curtains ("windows" to you non-roadster people). By virtue of the different exhaust, it was rated at 415 hp over the pre-'96 400 hp. Only came in three color combinations: the red with yellow wheels "McViper", the black with silver dagger stripe (comes to a point before the front facia) with silver-painted wheels, and the white with blue stripe (also comes to a point before the facia) and with white-painted wheels. All had special interior colors, also (e.g. white/blue car had blue steering cover and brake handle, etc).

(2nd half of '96 was the first production of the GTS coupes, no Roadsters).

As far as worth, the red/yellow cars have still not quite caught on, VIN #1 or not. Depending on mileage, I'd guess between high 40's for zero miles on down. I bet it *will* go up in value, though, despite the paint combo - so I'd sit on it if I were you.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
From my understanding there where only two series built in sequential order accroding to VIN - the 92s and the GT2s. There rest were assigned a VIN after being built and placed for shipment. Most likely the actual first built 96 RT was shipped abroad just like the very last one.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that Dodge built a bunch of these RT's and then arbitrarily thru serial #1 on just any RT. Even if they did, I'm assuming this car would carry at least a $10k premium over any comparable car due to its unique serial #. You take this to Barrett Jackson and you may see quite a bit more than a $10k premium. JMHO.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is always hard to say what a price of a car will do. Most of the time even owners of "collectible" cars are surprised at what they sell for at a place like Barret Jackson. But to know for sure what a car will do down the line? Tuff call. I for one am hoping for GEN I price increases. Limited production, the owners who heavily mod their cars, the ones which have been rebuilt or put to rest should all help to contribute..... All you can do is sit back and wait. I bought my car thinking of a lot of mods then stopped with my current mods thinking it could hurt the car if I go to far. Thinking of a late 90s or early 00 that has already been moded or a rebuilt title.

As for the 96, I say keep it, but I also say that to all cars :) Maybe it was the Viper in Vegas Vacation? Who knows.....

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 1996 RT/10 actually has the Gen2 hood made from SMC instead of RTM, and the inner hood is from the GTS, and has the openings to facilitate louvres.

Cal

PHILIP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a 96 Black RT 10 in lynwood WA with 68 miles for $100 K, it was a dealers own car.

Surprisingly his advert said something about "best prices", I guess it dependes what side of the fence you view the sale from.

Philip

OP
OP
M

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update:

The Car is Serial Number TV100001.

He has a couple sources that have varified its existance as the 1st car in 96.

One of his source's is a guy from Parts Rack, John Brops (?spelling) who collects info on Viper production records. He varified it was job 1 in 1996.

I was also told this car was suppossed to have ferrari style decals on the front fenders with a snake emblem instead of the horse. I dont remember the story exactly but some VP from Ferrari and a VP from Dodge got to talking about it and Ferrari said they would sue if they let these cars go into production with said decals on the fenders. Pretty interesting story.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw a 96 Black RT 10 in lynwood WA with 68 miles for $100 K, it was a dealers own car. Philip
Either that dealer needs to quit bogarting that joint or the car is simply not for sale as $100k for that car is just plain stupid.

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That story about suing over fender decals seems impossible. I mean, yeah, if it was a Ferrari logo, but a Sneaky Pete that was simply in the same spot as the badges are on some Ferrari's - they couldn't possibly sue, or even threaten to.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ketchup and Mustard cars seem to be either a love/hate thing. I love them. As for Gen I's, love that side exhaust as well. Every time I see one, I'm jealous.

If Dodge would have just made a side piped, forged internals, power windowed, louvered and NACA duct hooded, ABS'ed RT/10... well, you'd have yourself something there! :headbang: :usa: :headbang: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought Dakota Viper (owner of the 96 GTS serial #3) would be showing up here. This serial #1 car definitely has a value above all other 96 RT's, the only question is how much value? And I'm thinking Dakota knows more about the value than probably anyone else on this board but he's doing the right thing and just observing for now.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Ronald Mc Donald.
Mine is VIN 51.
They only made 86 with the sneaky pete (see my avatar)
I love it but the wheels are a real b**** to keep clean.

I beleive the last RT made went to Australia and was converted to RHD by Viperformance in Melbourne.
I have seen these guys conversions, really first class.

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would the 97gts Red/Gold Shelby/viper be worth? It was the only GTS Shelby/viper made. It was built by and Fitzgerald Motorsports with Carrol Shelby's collaboration.

OP
OP
M

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ketchup and Mustard cars seem to be either a love/hate thing. I love them. As for Gen I's, love that side exhaust as well. Every time I see one, I'm jealous.

If Dodge would have just made a side piped, forged internals, power windowed, louvered and NACA duct hooded, ABS'ed RT/10... well, you'd have yourself something there! :headbang: :usa: :headbang: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Your right about the love/hate with this car. I like it but personally wouldnt have gone with that color combo (because I like Black to much) but it is outrageous when you see it on the street.

OP
OP
M

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention..

This car was used by Dodge for Promtions and was featured in a Calendar. John Gastman from Roanoke had tried bidding on this car as well since it was only available direct from the factory. Ron Wesley, former OH Viper Club President won the bidding and took possession through his company Select Leasing in Cuyahoga Falls OH. Wesley sold Vipers out of this business. (they closed the doors sometime a few years ago) This is where I bought my 99 Black/Connoley RT/10. Mine had been used as a promotional vehicle as well and had 140 miles on the Odometer when I bought it.
Ron sold the 96 to my freind Bill with around 260 miles on it.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it'll be another lifetime till these cars turn into a means for the wealthy to move their money around. They're just too current. We just have to suffer and enjoy them for what they were built for unfortunately. The non-clone Hemi'Cuda can get shuffled around from paint booths in a trailer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4