What Kind Of RWHP Are You Guys Getting On Dyno??

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What's up with these mustang dyno's?

I was told by a local here that has one that they are accurate which I don't really agree with. They say they will put road conditions on your car which I question, how do you do that? You can put a load on a car but who's to say that is actual road conditions?

The only thing I see the Mustang Dyno good for it tuning but not to extract HP numbers. Too many variables on the Mustang Dyno to be accurate.

Bill M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way they put a load on the car is like this. You have to enter the vehicle weight and the hp used at 50mph. The weight is used to calculate the road friction and the hp@50 is used to calculate wind resistance. With these numbers, the eddy current unit, a big electromagnet, loads up the car accordingly. This is why they are good for tuning, because they can closely simulate the way the car will drive on the street.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as tuning they must be great dyno's to tune with because after going to see Bill my car feels smoother,stronger and faster off the line and at 60 + rolls so it must be great for tuning.

To be honest i was (and still am) amazed at how much you actually can gain from a dyno tune like that its awesome.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe with the Mustang you can vary the load so that the engine can be held at constant speeds while ignition and fueling can be adjusted to optimum values at different steady state throttle openings and RPM's.

This would seem to be better for fine tuning road cars where you're not just looking for the maximum HP.

Brake or load dyno's however apparently have to be calibrated from time to time and so may suffer in accuracy depending upon the calibration.
They could in fact be calibrated to give you any number you want.

No calibration for inertial dyno's. They would therefore seem to give a more reproducible number for HP.

To set up my road car I'll take the Mustang.
For bragging rights I'll take the Dynojet.

I'm no tuner so those folks can chime in and correct me.