What makes the Gen5 worth $100K?

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the Gen V is a beautiful car, it appears the Gen V performance #'s don't seem that impressive for a car three years out of production with a new improved version.

Really? beating the ACR Laguna time on Corsas and with 1000 lbs less downforce isn't impressive?

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and anothr factor is that CAAP is a facility dedicated to Viper production and nothing else... You're paying for the light bills on that big place!

Reaction score
WOW! It is so great to read a thread this positive about the new Viper. I have a new SRT and after 3 track days I can tell you from experience it is a great car. BTW, I have two Porsches in my garage: a 4.0 and a 991 CS.

OP
OP

99sh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of modifications are you looking at to suit your driving style?

I'm big on aero, best shocks money can buy and a good set of R comps. I'm personally not favorable to any electronics as in traction control and electronic dampening. Give me a basic car that does the job well, providing confidence inspiring feedback. A nice smooth gear box, manual vs auto-manual is fine by me.

As a first time future potential buyer I wanted to hear out the community on what makes this car worth its value. The only reason I'm comparing against the corvette is that I see them performing up to par against the vipers.

I have yet to drive one and have only visually seen them at various shows. I can see that a couple of posters here are emotional on the car. Go easy on the new guy, I'm only here to learn and hope to experience what you all already have :drive:

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Policy Limits:3181902 said:
Porsche sold out with production of cayenne & panamera.
They "sell out" every single one, not a bad business plan. The Cayenne and Panamera give Porsche a financial freedom they never could have achieved with just producing 911 and Boxsters. We bought a 2010 Panamera Turbo with tons of options, truly a fine machine. My wife drives it most of the time, she sets the suspension low and drives it well! Its not for everyone, but the sales numbers do not lie.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm big on aero, best shocks money can buy and a good set of R comps. I'm personally not favorable to any electronics as in traction control and electronic dampening. Give me a basic car that does the job well, providing confidence inspiring feedback. A nice smooth gear box, manual vs auto-manual is fine by me.

As a first time future potential buyer I wanted to hear out the community on what makes this car worth its value. The only reason I'm comparing against the corvette is that I see them performing up to par against the vipers.

I have yet to drive one and have only visually seen them at various shows. I can see that a couple of posters here are emotional on the car. Go easy on the new guy, I'm only here to learn and hope to experience what you all already have :drive:

The C6 Z06 is a highly competent track car. The SRT Vipers are even better. You probably want to get a base SRT Viper with the track pack for the lighter wheels. I don't think any third party wheel is going to come close to the SRT wheel unless they are a true racing wheel, but then you'd likely replace the hubs and get a magnesium wheel for big $$$. You also get rotors from StopTech. You should be able to upgrade the base SRT Viper's shocks to Motons/MCS/Penskes or whatever your favourite brand is.
http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2013/0...wheels-mean-stronger-confidence-at-speed.html

Other than the shocks, the 2014 TA is probably the closest to what you want. It has the thicker brembo rotors for more heat capacity around the track, and includes all the Carbon aero tweaks for an extra 275 lbs of downforce at 150mph. The only thing you may not like is that the TA package has a 2 mode adjustable suspension (Bilstein). Not sure what ripping that out would do to the rest of the electronics in the car. Estimated price is between 115-125k.
http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2013/03/track-slayer-srt-viper-time-attack-is-built-to-dominate.html

You could also consider the 2008-2010 Gen IV ACR models, which have only ABS as an electronic nanny. It can save you quite a bit of money, depending on which ACR you pick. They are all fast, and minor tweaks (exhaust, pcm, ported intake, maybe more) will make them equal on the track with the Gen Vs. Or if you don't care about being street legal, get a 2010 ACR-X. ACRs make about 1000 lbs of downforce at 150mph.
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/665407-7-15-Ring-Time-in-ACR-by-VCA-Member

They "sell out" every single one, not a bad business plan. The Cayenne and Panamera give Porsche a financial freedom they never could have achieved with just producing 911 and Boxsters. We bought a 2010 Panamera Turbo with tons of options, truly a fine machine. My wife drives it most of the time, she sets the suspension low and drives it well! Its not for everyone, but the sales numbers do not lie.

As a purist, I always hated the idea of the Cayenne, but fully HALF of Porsche's annual sales are of that bulky SUV alone. Although Porsche is not independent today (management's big gamble to eat up VW backfired), the Cayenne would have been the vehicle that would have kept Porsche's doors open had they decided to stay where they were. The traditional sports car is a dying breed, sadly. I am wondering if the Corvette C7 numbers will even come close to the C6's production numbers, especially with the economy the way it is today (I think the C7 looks fine btw, rear tail lights included *puts on Flame Retardant jumpsuit*).

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Porsche 911/991 GT3 will have the PDK 7 speed (150K) DCT like the Turbo cars. They will be insane fast with this trans.The new Turbo S (200K)will have a bump of 30 Hp.So,thats a 10.50s car stock.The TurboS now run 10.60/70s stock...They can be ordered now with late 2013 arrival as 14 models.The Gen.5s will not hang with these cars as they are now...

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Porsche 911/991 GT3 will have the PDK 7 speed (150K) DCT like the Turbo cars. They will be insane fast with this trans.The new Turbo S (200K)will have a bump of 30 Hp.So,thats a 10.50s car stock.The TurboS now run 10.60/70s stock...They can be ordered now with late 2013 arrival as 14 models.The Gen.5s will not hang with these cars as they are now...

If you want a 1/4 mile car... get the NHRA-spec Challenger Drag Pack... wayy better drag car than either the Viper or any porsche.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Arax,

Reading between the lines, I think what you are asking is, "I want a track worthy street car with a high level of technology for the price, is the Viper that car." If I'm right and that is your main question, the answer is "no". FWIW, the GT3 is probably not the right car either. I've owned two, and they are great cars, but ...

Bottom line, the prices of the Viper and GT3 are justified by the experience you get when driving them. You might say the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, and the price is only worth it if they stir your soul...

I've been lurking these forums as I've gained some interest in the Gen5 viper. Being a track ******, performance is high on my priorities and place the Viper and Corvettes as the cars to beat. I'm somewhat surprised at the price tag SRT has set, and figured the bulk of the cost attributes to the development efforts throughout the years. To be honest, for the money there are more technologically 'advanced' cars out there compared to the raw & bare-bone viper. Look at the corvettes for example (C6 or C7); you can get a pretty stout setup off the showroom floor and beat almost anything out there for under $70k. At the $100k+ price tag I can't help but compare it against the new Porsche GT3. Just looking at the laundry list that the GT3 has to offer I would feel my money is well spent.

So...what makes the Gen5 hold a $100k price tag?

-Arax

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you want a 1/4 mile car... get the NHRA-spec Challenger Drag Pack... wayy better drag car than either the Viper or any porsche.

I just saw one of those for the first time this past weekend. Very cool. A 9 second car from the factory. Crazy!

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dude, that was a serious curve ball... You want a high tech car, but without electronic dampening or traction control? That's going to be a tall order... The only car that comes to mind is the Ariel Atom 500... It also fits the bill in terms of aero and R-compound tires, but it doesn't come cheap.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh wait, you also want confidence inspiring feedback. Never mind. The Ariel Atom probably won't fit the bill either. Short wheelbase, very light weight, crazy power, no traction control... That's not likely to inspire much confidence. It's a car for lunatics. Anyone know where I can buy one? :crazy2:

Last edited:

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I beg to disagree. The turbo porshe may do better "stock" and even provide some better numbers if you are able to dial up the boost on the turbos with an EBC, but there's a limit to how high you can crank that boost before you're either out of CFM on the turbo or running into detonation on pump gas.

The 640 HP put out by the viper's V10 is "modest", and likely has the headroom to gain at least another 100-150 HP from bolt-on mods while maintaining its reliability.

Porshes also have the problem of looking like a shoe from the side and a bug-eyed beetle from the front.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porshes also have the problem of looking like a shoe from the side and a bug-eyed beetle from the front.

As opposed to Gen 2 and Gen 5 Vipers which have never been compared to a shoe.
Oh wait...

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As opposed to Gen 2 and Gen 5 Vipers which have never been compared to a shoe.
Oh wait...

When I see a porshe from the side, the very first thought that comes into my mind is "a shoe with wheels", especially the boxter. Not so with the viper. If it does bear resemblance to a shoe, it's a nice-looking shoe.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that if you purchased a Gen III off the showroom floor in 2003-2004, you probably shelled out $80-$85K. Ten years later and you can purchase a vastly improved Viper for roughly $15K more than what it cost you back in 2003. Job well done Chrysler/SRT.

Yep... and 2003 dollars and 2013 dollars are not the same money.

OP
OP

99sh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ariel Atoms aren't particularly impressive, at least the ones I've seen on the track. I was considering a Formula Mazda (or the like), but would really like a street/track duty vehicle.

As of now, looks like the GenV TA version with a change in suspension would fit the bill. I'll probably wait for aftermarket aero for the same price as the SRT kit.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ariel Atoms aren't particularly impressive, at least the ones I've seen on the track. I was considering a Formula Mazda (or the like), but would really like a street/track duty vehicle.

As of now, looks like the GenV TA version with a change in suspension would fit the bill. I'll probably wait for aftermarket aero for the same price as the SRT kit.

If you want serious aero, wait until the ACR/GTS-R comes out (hopefully for 2015 MY). 99.9% positive it will be a more efficient and effective setup than ANY aftermarket aero kit.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I see a porshe from the side, the very first thought that comes into my mind is "a shoe with wheels", especially the boxter. Not so with the viper. If it does bear resemblance to a shoe, it's a nice-looking shoe.

Search the word "clownshoe" and report back.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You should buy the 2014 TA, leave the suspension as is, then sell the TA in 2015-2016 for the Viper GTS-R/ACR when it comes out. :drive:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thought on MSRP

2009 GTR = 70k+
2009 GTR price increase = 77k+
2010 GTR = 81k+
2011 GTR = 84k+
2012 GTR = 90k+
2013 GTR = 97k+
2014 GTR = 100k+

2008 SRT Coupe = 85k+
2009 SRT Coupe = 90k+
2010 SRT Coupe = 90k+
2013 SRT Coupe = 97k+

Once again, kudos SRT!

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you haven't heard of a Viper being compared to a clown shoe, you really do know nothing about the history of the vehicle.

Disgruntled porshe owners trying to bring the viper down to their level. Like I said, the clown shoe similarities are a stretch. I'm not seeing it.

To me the side profile of the viper looks like a **** chick with long hair wearing a baseball cap with the visor backwards.

They already had an SRT wagon didn't they? The magnum or whatever it was. My point is that you will not see a viper-styled SUV, a viper styled sedan/grocery getter or a viperesque mini roadster like porshe has. The other SRT vehicles don't look like cheaper "wannabe" vipers; they all have their own distinct looks and that's good.

AJ usmc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh yea, I forgot about the mag. and yes I agree. I just remembered the viperwagon concepts and so I put em' up.
ps: oh, and sorry I got the name wrong, I wasn't paying attention.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disgruntled porshe owners trying to bring the viper down to their level. Like I said, the clown shoe similarities are a stretch. I'm not seeing it.

Nothing whatsoever to do with Porsche or Porsche owners.
Most commonly used by, but not limited to, Corvette owners to describe Vipers in an attempt to justify their 1 of 50,000 purchase.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing whatsoever to do with Porsche or Porsche owners.
Most commonly used by, but not limited to, Corvette owners to describe Vipers in an attempt to justify their 1 of 50,000 purchase.

I think a Corvette has the same lack of exclusivity issue that you get with a Porsche - the high end $120K+ model looks a lot like the $40K base models so they need to tout their car's production number or simply resort to making jokes so they can tamp down that buyers' remorse. Doesn't bother me one way or the other and I'm sure it makes for some funny conversations/threads when they get riled up.