What RPM do you cruise at?

ViperKSA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What RPM do you cruise at ? Those of you that prefer High Vs. Low RPM cruising please explain why you chose / prefer it ?

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically depends on what speed your talking about. Anything highway I basically just leave it in 6th.

Crazy1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive higher RPM's in the 3500 to 4000 range as much as I can focus on keeping it in this attack range at all times. It burns fuel fast, probably creates wear much quicker but you only live once and that's what these cars were meant for in my opinion.

In this range you can quickly dip into the clutch, give it a quick additonal blip of gas and basically hold on tight as you take off for flight tires screeching and all.

Even though my 99 ACR has a nice loud aftermarket exhaust I am enjoying my new 2006 First Edition Coupe with side exhaust as everytime I use this method of driving high rpms I scare the crap out of people riding anywhwere along either side of my car as the thing roars like a top fuel dragster. Well not quite but it is loud.

It also calls a lot of attention with other car enthusiasts who often give me thumbs up, nods and salivating gazing.

I have to mention a particular story around this kind of driving as well since we are on the subject. Earlier in the week there was a couple in a Honda Civic that just happened to be a bit ahead of me in the lane next to mine. I decided to hit it in this fashion (not to blow a Civic away but just because I cant control myself and love the power and sounds) Boy I could not stop laughing as the driver nearly pissed in his pants as he jumped one complete lane over and looked out his window in terror.

I am not the type to enjoy causing others pain but the car or more specifically the loud exhuast note just took him by suprise and spooked him.

I also should mention driving in these rpms with side exhuast is a hoot during deceleration as well. The sweet burbles, crackles and pops reminds me of 60's muscle cars and is like music to my ears.

By the way with all the extra attention you will be getting if you drive in higher RPMs you should also invest in a K40 front and rear radar detector as you will bring other attention you probably dont want as well, just ask my lawyer!

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2500-3000...then when I see someone approaching 3500 and get ready to punch it and get into the next one so they get a clear view of my tail lights :nana:

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Basically depends on what speed your talking about. Anything highway I basically just leave it in 6th.

It is easy enough to drop it down into 3rd or 4th when needed, and on the highway there are few times it is really necessart anyway.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should never be in 6th gear unless you are over a 100 mph. 80 mph in 4th gear gives you lots of punch. On long runs 5th will work. You want to get the engine at least at 2000 rpms, better at 2500 rpms. Otherwise you get carbon build up on thr threads of the spark plugs and they are very hard to remove. I had "Yelloh's" car in my shop and it took over an hour to remove his plugs due to carbon build up as he ran around in 6th on the highway.
hopes this helps

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 24000 miles on my car, changed the plugs at 22,500 and they looked flawless. No carbon.
Not disagreeing with anyone, just my personal experience.

I don't pull hills in 6th, just flat or downhill sections at steady speeds. I shift to 5th or 4th to climb a hill, even slight ones.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just telling you what we found on Yelloh's car. We have lousy fuel around here in Connecticut. Why does one want to drive a street legal race car around in 5th and 6th anyway? You loose all that great tire burning acceration while going down the highway! I know it saves gas, but that is not what we buy vipers for. I am not disagreeing with anyone here, but having raced I want all the power availble all the time.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I generally cruise (that was the defining word in the question) around 2000 rpm. I almost never use 6th. The exception is on along trip at a steady pace where accels are not expected.

In normal driving I shift at around 4000 to maybe 4500 for the 1-2 shift and maybe around 3500 to 4000 for 2-3. Plenty of torque available so no need to run up the rpms. I mean I can tip in and break the tires loose in 3rd at 80 mph or so, so why waste the gas and stress the engine needlessly. And if you really need it the power is only a shift away.

Never had a carbon build up on any car - that would not define my driving style.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should never be in 6th gear unless you are over a 100 mph. 80 mph in 4th gear gives you lots of punch. On long runs 5th will work. You want to get the engine at least at 2000 rpms, better at 2500 rpms. Otherwise you get carbon build up on thr threads of the spark plugs and they are very hard to remove. I had "Yelloh's" car in my shop and it took over an hour to remove his plugs due to carbon build up as he ran around in 6th on the highway.
hopes this helps

I disagree. I've driven over 55,000 miles in our Viper, routinely using 6th gear at even 60-65 with the stock rear end. First plug change at 23,000 was no problem. I've had a 3:45 rear end since 30,000 miles and use 6th all the time. Second plug change at 44,000--no problem. Just pulled the plugs out 3 weeks ago after the Roe install with 11,000 miles on them--again no problem. No freeways within 150 miles of here--mostly 2 lane. All 55 MPH speed limit.

I definitely don't feel the urge to be 'at the ready' all the time. A simple down shift takes care of business 99% of the time.

Never had a carbon build up on any car - that would not define my driving style.

Nor mine..........Nice wheels Ron

Steve

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best cruising is with 3:55 rear and 6th gear.

With 3:07 I tend to run in 6th down hill and flat, and down shift to 5th on even small uphills.

Speaking about 70 mph cruise.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6th has to be the most boring gear ever...I'll buy a caddy when I want to "cruise" on the highway ;)

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use all 6 gears and cruise around at 1500rpms. I'm no fan of how the Viper V10 sounds when rpms are higher and unloaded.

Sort of UPS truck sounding . . .
Sort of "kid-making-motor-boat-sounds" ish . . .

I dont know, but I like it better luggin around until its time to go WOT.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
102,000 miles and I go into 6th all the time. I also change my plugs and wires every 20,000.

Entire drivetrain is original, even the clutch. And I ran a 12.05 last year.

You guys that wanna putz along "at the ready" at 4,000 rpm all the time, go ahead.

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
anyone noticed problems with the 1-4 skip shift thing the car has. when u do the 1-4 shift the cars rpm starts at 500 to 1000. if anything this should be bad for the engine, and if so why would dodge have this feature on the car?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone noticed problems with the 1-4 skip shift thing the car has. when u do the 1-4 shift the cars rpm starts at 500 to 1000. if anything this should be bad for the engine, and if so why would dodge have this feature on the car?

It is my understanding it was put in to meet government regulations. I don't know what the problem is people have with it. It is not difficult to "fool" the skip shift and go into second. It's not like Viper owners have to do it all day and if shifting is such a bother then they bought the wrong car.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi ray, youngviper"

There is a device that will get rid of the 1St to 4th shift. I do not feel that having a car lug down to such a low rpm during the 1-4 shift is good for the car or the engine. You may see this Skip Shift part at the web site below and also by clicking on my picture link under my name at the left. Please call me if you need more information.
Robbie

http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

Robbie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4