What tires do you use on the street?

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What tires do the Supercharged and Twin Turbo Vipers use on the street?
I've been looking for a tire that will get me traction and stick to the road while cornering on street and track driving. I don't drive my Viper in rain or snow and I won't go to 21-22" wheels and tires to look cool but loose substantial handling.

Suspension is Moton Clubsport with 700 lb front and 900 lb rear. (I don't drink coffee while driving my Viper)
It will be a forced induction car pretty soon.

Front tires are easy. There are lots of alternatives. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, Yokohama Advan A048, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, Kumho Ecsta V700 or Pirelli P-Zero Corsa.

Rear tires are hard. There are couple alternatives here. 345/30 - 18 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, 335/30 - 20 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, 335/30 - 18 Kumho Ecsta V700 or 345/35 - 19 Bridgestone RE050A Scuderia (Enzo rear tires).

I've driven a Porsche with the PS2's and they performed very good. But I don't feel comfortable with going to a 20" wheel/tire... I was about to buy the Michelin Sport Cups just before I heard that they were very slippery when cold and at street/highway driving you never reach its optimum heat range. I don't know much about Ecsta V700 or RE050A Scuderia. And then there are those ballsy guys running BFG Drag Radials on the street...

What tires do the high horsepower guys here run on the street and at the track? What problems do you run into with those tires?

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone else on this site thinks I'm insane, but I like the stock runflats for the street (No, my car's not supercharged.) If they made a PS2 in stock sizes, I would buy them, but they don't. Until then, the stock tires have provided plenty of grip and handling for whatever driving I do on the public roads.

For the track, I love my Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. Once they heat up, they stick like glue. They wear really well for soft compound tires too. I'm still on my first set.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have the rear e barke conversion done so i can use the bfs drag reaials on my 700rwhp paxton srt. I bought the ultra light comp ssr rims in 18's just for the traction issues.

6400IMGP2334-med.JPG

race mode 18's

6400IMGP0351-med.JPG

street mode 19 and 20's

6400IMGP05081-med.JPG

vd..

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on your rim diameter. I would recommend the following:

18's - Kumho or BFG Drag Radials
19's - Pirelli 355's
20's - Michelin PS2 335's or Pirelli 345's

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have the rear e barke conversion done so i can use the bfs drag reaials on my 700rwhp paxton srt. I bought the ultra light comp ssr rims in 18's just for the traction issues.

6400IMGP2334-med.JPG

race mode 18's

6400IMGP0351-med.JPG

street mode 19 and 20's

6400IMGP05081-med.JPG

vd..

Obviously your race mode is Drag Race Mode. I used to have 345/30 BFG Drag Radials on my Z06 and they are half shaft breakers... Launch carefully and ride the clutch little bit. BFG Drag Radials have excellent traction on the drag strip but I wouldn't corner with those tires much.

Do you use Michelin PS2's for the rear tires on your street mode?

P.S : I dig your gauges :D

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It all depends on your rim diameter. I would recommend the following:

18's - Kumho or BFG Drag Radials
19's - Pirelli 355's
20's - Michelin PS2 335's or Pirelli 345's

Basically I will decide on the wheel according to the tire. I'm staying with 18's at the front but rear wheels depend on the tires.

I hate Pirelli P-Zero's except for the P-Zero Corsa's.
How is the traction and handling on the street and track with Kumho Ecsta V700's?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Pirelli 345's on the rear. I will try the ps2 after i wear these out.

vd..

If you go to a non runflat ditch the wheels they are wayyyy 2 heavy.

vd..

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've heard the Michelin Sport Cups have to be warmed up to start gripping. On the street, you never heat these tires to their optimum level. Heck, it even takes 1-2 laps to heat them up on the track. So, on the street, they are slippery... More slippery than the stock tires.

Yokohoma Advan A048 is a very nice streetable R compound tire but the biggest size they have is 315/30 - 18.

If you are going to drag your car, go with the BFG Drag Radials 345/30 - 18 and cross your fingers on hard launches not to break your half shafts.

I think I'm going to with the Michelin Pilot PS2's 305/30 - 19 on the front and 335/30 - 20 on the rear. I've heard these tires are very good for the street and worthy for the track.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard the Michelin Sport Cups have to be warmed up to start gripping. On the street, you never heat these tires to their optimum level. Heck, it even takes 1-2 laps to heat them up on the track. So, on the street, they are slippery... More slippery than the stock tires.

This is true. The Sport Cups are great for driving to and from the track, but I wouldn't use them as an every day driving tire.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"I've heard" " So, on the street, they are slippery... More slippery than the stock tires."

WRONG!

Well, unfortunately I don't have a chance to try all the tires on a SRT-10 both track and street and then decide which tire to buy. I wish I could do that. The only reference I have is what people using them have said about these tires.

For example, Kai SRT-10 uses the Sport Cups on the track, going to and coming from track and he says this statement is true for the street.

What is your experience with Sport Cups used on the street?

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Insom,

you can take my advice with a grain of salt if you wish :smirk: because we are devout KUMHO fans but the Ecsta V700 is a wonderful choice for street for the SRT10 Viper once you take care of the E-brake issue.

These tires are not only durable as hell but hold multiple track records all over the country in many many classes of road racing! Our team has personally set multiple race lap and qualifying records on KUMHO V700's! :headbang:

If you buy them full tread they are very durable on the street and you will actually see a decent life out of them depending on how you drive. The lateral grip is considerably better than "ANY" of the other tires you mention in your post.

Of course along with that grip advantage comes some possible disadvantages in durability against road hazards such as debris, sharp rocks etc. The Viper is a very heavy car in the rear and the rear axle around 1900lb which will do a good job of shoving debris through a soft tire... :shocked:

With that being said, we have driven our "Street Hot Rods" on KUMHO V700 both Ecsta & Victoracers exclusively for years with virtually no problems (flats etc.)

So if you just want ultimate cold or cool weather grip (both lateral & longitudinal) there really is no other choice...
:2tu:

sbw :usa:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I've heard" " So, on the street, they are slippery... More slippery than the stock tires."

WRONG!

That's my experience. Until they are warmed up, I get less grip with my Sport Cups than I do with my stock runflats. This conclusion results from driving both Sport Cups and runflats on the street and at the track. Perhaps you have had a different experience, but that's mine.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Insom,

you can take my advice with a grain of salt if you wish :smirk: because we are devout KUMHO fans but the Ecsta V700 is a wonderful choice for street for the SRT10 Viper once you take care of the E-brake issue.

Scotty: I assume you are running 305/30R18 up front and 335/30R18 in the rear?

p.s. Scotty: I see you are signed up for the time trials at 2nd Creek this week end. I look forward to seeing you there.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Insom,

These tires are not only durable as hell but hold multiple track records all over the country in many many classes of road racing! Our team has personally set multiple race lap and qualifying records on KUMHO V700's! :headbang:

If you buy them full tread they are very durable on the street and you will actually see a decent life out of them depending on how you drive. The lateral grip is considerably better than "ANY" of the other tires you mention in your post.

Of course along with that grip advantage comes some possible disadvantages in durability against road hazards such as debris, sharp rocks etc. The Viper is a very heavy car in the rear and the rear axle around 1900lb which will do a good job of shoving debris through a soft tire... :shocked:

With that being said, we have driven our "Street Hot Rods" on KUMHO V700 both Ecsta & Victoracers exclusively for years with virtually no problems (flats etc.)

So if you just want ultimate cold or cool weather grip (both lateral & longitudinal) there really is no other choice...

Did you write that review at Tirerack ? ;)
My concern with the Kumho V700's is they are W speed rated not Z or Y. That means these tires are rated for 168 mph top speed and I plan to hit speeds well over 168 mph.
I've already hit 180 mph in my 05 SRT-10 stock... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"What is your experience with Sport Cups used on the street?"

over 10k plus miles on sport cups. I agree with Kai SRT10 in that they do like heat. After a 15 min drive they grip better then my pilot sports ever did. I would never think of getting on the gas as much in a turn without cups.

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you write that review at Tirerack ? ;)
My concern with the Kumho V700's is they are W speed rated not Z or Y. That means these tires are rated for 168 mph top speed and I plan to hit speeds well over 168 mph.
I've already hit 180 mph in my 05 SRT-10 stock... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

DUDE! I can't tell you about those kind of numbers but I can tell you we've laid into them pretty ******* the track in turns at 150mph +

Not to be a wise guy but we keep our tripple digit activity to the track :smirk:

SO I couldn't tell you how they work at 180mph but if you can lay one of these bad boyz into an off camber downhill turn as hard as it will go at 150mph :2tu: I would think cruizing down the interstate at 180mph would not be a problem but I do not have personal experience at those speeds...

ymmv sbw :usa:

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quoteScotty: I assume you are running 305/30R18 up front and 335/30R18 in the rear?

p.s. Scotty: I see you are signed up for the time trials at 2nd Creek this week end. I look forward to seeing you there.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the 305 & 335 combo works well

We are signed up but it looks like family stuff will interupt getting cars there... Do you need a co-driver? :2tu:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the question a lot of people ask me is what is the best tire that is availble in the oem stock sizes that fit the oem wheels. has anyone compaired the michlin non runflats to the runflat tires?

edretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yokohoma Advan A048 is a very nice streetable R compound tire but the biggest size they have is 315/30 - 18.

If you are going to drag your car, go with the BFG Drag Radials 345/30 - 18 and cross your fingers on hard launches not to break your half shafts.

I think I'm going to with the Michelin Pilot PS2's 305/30 - 19 on the front and 335/30 - 20 on the rear. I've heard these tires are very good for the street and worthy for the track.

305/30 in the front?? I'll be surprised if that fits. Well it might fit but I bet it rubs. 275 looks nice, but don't go with the 335 ps2's in the rear as I posted in my other thread. I think I might be the first one to run this tire but believe me it looks silly.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will have to agree Kia, the run flats are not bad tires at all. I did not always feel that way. I run on them all the time and I have a supercharger. I have two other sets of wheels, HRE’s with Sport Cups and a set of Forgeline’s with slicks. I run the stock tires on the street and Sport Cups and slicks on the track.

It’s easy to want tires that grip like they have spikes, but even slicks can’t help when you drive poorly. It has taken me over a year to get the feel of the tires and power of the car. When I first installed the Paxton, I thought I needed stickier tires to hook up. I complained all the time about the run flats, so I went to Sport Cups and realized some improvement but not as much as I hoped. The better my driving skills got the better my tires gripped. Having a supercharger puts the car in the unlimited class where everyone runs slicks, so I thought I should run slick too. Again, I realized some improvement but not as much as I hoped. Again, the tires got much better, the better I got. Funny how the tires keep getting better.

It ain’t the tires, well some of it is, but mostly it’s your driving. I had to admit that I sucked, it was not the car or the tires but me. Those who track their cars and run fast laps, know how to drive the car properly and will know what I am talking about. It’s not the bow it’s the Indian. On the street, I can’t imagine getting to the speeds that you will need more grip that the stocks tires have. I don’t mean because I don’t push it or that I am some safety steward, but if you don’t have the ability to drive really fast on the street with run flats, and you think you need more grip, you’re going way beyond your ability, period. $3K in a driving school is worth $25K in performance upgrades.

To the point of the Cups being slicker than stocks when cold, here is my comparison. Each morning I back out of my driveway and roll onto the street, shift into first and easy on down the road. With stock run flats there is no spin, but with Cups the tires spin. I am not punching it, just easing it forward. I do it every morning the same way. So I must conclude, cold Cups are slicker than stock. The Cups stick more when warm, but I could not tell you how quickly they get warm on the street I have never tried to evaluate that. As to how long the Cups last, about 5K miles.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

305/30 in the front?? I'll be surprised if that fits. Well it might fit but I bet it rubs. 275 looks nice, but don't go with the 335 ps2's in the rear as I posted in my other thread. I think I might be the first one to run this tire but believe me it looks silly.

Look at the pictures below. 305/30 - 19's on the front and 335/30 - 20's on the rear seem to fiy nicely.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The H-Man runs 335/30 - 20 PS2's on his 1000 HP Viper SRT-10 and he hits the best slalom and hits over 200 mph at Road & Track test on the PS2's.

With the plans I have for my 2005 SRT-10, I will need all the traction I can get. I can pretty much run my Viper close to its limits but I'll hate to see my rear breaking loose 100+ mph.

Nothing sticky in 19's for the rear. I'll either go with the 18's and some R compound tires or 20's and PS2's.

Has anybody used Toyo RA-1's on the rear of a Viper SRT-10? They have a 335/30 - 18 size.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Insomniac,

Good question. I have asked this before. It's nice that a number of others have explored tire options. Some of the guys here track their cars as I do. I also drag the car and occasionally drive aggressively on the street. The only tire I can think of that could do all three well is the Kumho Ecsta V-700. We can't tarnish the Viper's image by loosing to some new Z-06 Corvette, Porshe GT, Ford GT or Ferrai F-430, can we?

I have tried several tires on the front / rear of my car. The following is my 02 cents. All of this is on warm tires, i.e. driven on warm days for 30 minutes or more with 3.07 gears. FYI, I tried the 3.55's but went back to 3.07s due to extreme difficulty with traction.

I can tell you that stock run flats don't do well on the street under power. They break loose the easiest and in first and second under throttle. No need to dump the clutch, at any speed.

Next, I tried PS non-run flats. They are about 10% better than stock, at best. They break loose under acceleration as well.

PS2's are somewhat better, maybe 5%. They still break loose under acceleration.

PS Cups need to get warmed up a bit, but I still find them better than run flats or regular Pilot Sports, even when cold. They still break loose under acceleration, at about 35 mph in first gear and again at about 75 - 80 in second on cool days.

Nitto drag radials work pretty well for the street with low pressure, about 24 PSI. These don't break loose until about 52 - 54 mph. They ride really well at that PSI. Very comfortable for street crusing. To get them to handle slight twisties, air them up to 32 and they're OK. My current set has about 10,000 miles on them are are still doing OK.

I bought a set of Kumho Ecsta V-700's and will try them on the rear in a week or two. I can't find a set of 285's for the front anywhere and would like to have all 4 tires of the same brand and type. Maybe Scotty could help. I have a friend running them with a 550 rwhp GTS and he really likes them. Not sure what 750 rwhp will do to them, yet.

I'll be trying a set of BFG Drag radials soon. Word is that they don't wear or last very long, about 1500 miles

I also have a set of Hoosiers in the garage, awaiting their new Forgelines. These should help out on track days.

As you might guess, I have a few sets of wheels and tires. I did the ebrake relo and prefer to run 18's. 18's seem to offer the best selection of tires with the most serious traction.

One of the guys above eluded to driving being important....and it is more so on the track. Going in a straight line on the street, you will want a stickier tire. You may have to give up some "handling" to get that.

Good luck,

Dan

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I can see Kumho, and nobuddy else for that matter ezcept M. PS, does not make a 347/30-19 for the stock rear wheels. They do make a 275/35-18 front.What is the best street tire for road rave handling that fits the stock wheels?