What transmission oil/fluid for a 98 GTS?

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know what the sticker on the side of the transmission says, but I have had numerous other cars with this same transmission and have never ran that particular fluid in them. So on that note I was wondering what you guys were running in yours? I replaced the engine mounts (woodhouse), transmission mount and crossmember(Daves Big Brakes) and installed my SVS short throw shifter (SVS obviously) today and I figured while I under there I would change the transmission oil/fluid and the rear end gear oil as well. So any tips or thoughts on what you guys are running in yours?

I would also like to say thanks to Chuck Tator for shipping me 4 new engine mount nuts lightning quick so I could get this done. I tried my local Dodge dealer and they looked at me like I was crazy, and then they tried to sell me a new viper. I asked them why should I buy a new one from you when you can't locate 4 simple nuts for the one I already own. Guy just shrugged his shoulders and walked off.:D

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
YOUR Viper's factory fill of tranny fluid was likely MOPAR's Dexron III...often upgraded (for Neutral Gear Rattle) to MOPAR's Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85.

Keep in mind, that Dexron III is no longer available at most Dodge dealerships...BUT, as noted in a recent issue of Viper Magazine, MOPAR's ATF+4 is listed as a substitute for the Dexron III.

There were reportedly problems in some of the Viper Racing League's Comp Coupes that had switched over to Redline (not sure of which product)...as told to me by the provider of track-side service...and, interestingly, said problems diaappeared with switching the Comp Coupes back to the MOPAR's Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85 (which was the factory fill from 1999 thru 2006...also called Castrol Syntorq).

Over and out.

OP
OP
L

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going with the Amsoil ATF and calling a day. Spoke with a few very reputable tuners and tranny rebuilders and got the green light on it. I guess I will find out tomorrow if there are any ill effects. I doubt it though, I used to run it in a few other cars with the T56. One of which had the viper spec T-56 with great success.

SHELBYVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going with the Amsoil ATF and calling a day. Spoke with a few very reputable tuners and tranny rebuilders and got the green light on it. I guess I will find out tomorrow if there are any ill effects. I doubt it though, I used to run it in a few other cars with the T56. One of which had the viper spec T-56 with great success.

I switched over to Amsoil in my 97. I was tired of having the shifter rattle return after only a few hundred miles with the oem lube changes. I have over 3K miles now on the Amsoil lube with no rattle issues and the trans shifts like butter as well.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on the AMSOIL, but NOT the ATF. The proper oil (recommended by AMS) is the SYNTHETIC MANUAL TRANSMISSION & TRANSAXLE GEAR LUBE-75/90W due to the high heat application of the Viper (unlike other cars with the T56). They warranty this product too.

Last edited:

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Amsoil severe gear in the gear vendor that is in my Ram.
This stuff stinks!! I can smell it after running the truck, no I dont have leaks and I am not burning any oil. It is a very strong 90 weight kind of smell. I dont know if you would have the same problem with the Viper but I would avoid this oil, I would hate to have the smell of it around my car.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys, you should consider running the castrol syntorq. dodge part number 4874459
i have tried everything from redline to royal purple. we get the best shifts from this stuff. i talked AT LENGTH with John Donatto, who owns Donatto engineering, and he is the foremost authority on the Viper transmissions. he is also and engineer for chrysler, and he worked-and works on the Hemi drag-pack Challenger program, (he has big dadfy Garlitt's challenger there now)
he builds MANY, MANY tremecs for big name tuners and factory race teams as well, and he says they have tried avery thing on the market and have found the best results with the castrol. you cant buy it at any parts store. it can be found thru GM dealers under part #12346190. its used in the new Vettes too.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Amsoil severe gear in the gear vendor that is in my Ram.
This stuff stinks!! I can smell it after running the truck, no I dont have leaks and I am not burning any oil. It is a very strong 90 weight kind of smell. I dont know if you would have the same problem with the Viper but I would avoid this oil, I would hate to have the smell of it around my car.

Never heard of such a thing...not that it couldn't be. I've been running the Amsoil severe gear since it came out in two SC Vipers, one of them gets to the track. No smell whatsoever....no matter how hard it's run or hot the outside temp is. As a matter of fact, I've been using all the Amsoil stuff for 33 years and never had a smell yet. All lubes, no matter what they are have their own smell when you pop the cap off the bottle.

Your truck may have other issues 'co-mingling' with the lube.

Steve

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of such a thing...not that it couldn't be. I've been running the Amsoil severe gear since it came out in two SC Vipers, one of them gets to the track. No smell whatsoever....no matter how hard it's run or hot the outside temp is. As a matter of fact, I've been using all the Amsoil stuff for 33 years and never had a smell yet. All lubes, no matter what they are have their own smell when you pop the cap off the bottle.

Your truck may have other issues 'co-mingling' with the lube.

Steve
I thought I had a problem as well but, my gear vendor is brand new, there is no leaking of any kind, and the oils all look great??? Maybe the gear vendor vents better than most gear boxes?
It is a very strong smell, and it smells just like if you were smelling the Amsoil in the bottle??

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I had a problem as well but, my gear vendor is brand new, there is no leaking of any kind, and the oils all look great??? Maybe the gear vendor vents better than most gear boxes?
It is a very strong smell, and it smells just like if you were smelling the Amsoil in the bottle??

I guess if venting is the cause....you could pick your flavor for gear lube to see if you can find one more suited to your olfactory senses ;)

I always use oil analysis when I change the trans/diff fluid every 30K/3yrs. You might want to take a sample and have it tested to verify everything is OK.

Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian R