What would you do?

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
may be a dumb question but if you don't trust the reliability why are you buying the car?????
shake.gif

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me clarify: I have full confidence otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. However, nothing is ever perfect.

Jason, thanks for the vote of confidence!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I flew to Boston and drove my Venom 500 back to Georgia. I could have driven to California no problem. If its your first Viper you will love every minute.

Hot Rod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove mine from Florida, with a stop in Penna. to see family, all the way to CT - about 1,200 miles with absolutely no problems. My teenage son accompanied me and loved every mile. We got lots of thumbs-up along the way.

The only worry with such a long trip is how secure the Viper is while you stop to sleep. My solution was a motel, room on groud level and the car parked right outside my door. If I had it to do over, I'd still drive it but get a car cover from Dodge before the trip.

Drive it!

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can check your gun. You just aren't allowed to carry it on the airplane.

I drove my 97 GTS to VOI. 1400 miles round trip, and the car now has 70K miles. No problems.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it.... once you get on the hyway you can just put it into
6th and let it idle all the way home... it should idle at around
80mph.

You should not need a gun in Texas and if you do bring it, it could
just get you into trouble. And yes you can just check the gun in
with your baggage. I used to carry a shot gun and it was allways
fun watching the other passengers when I had to **** the gun to
show the ticket agent that there wern't any shells in it. :)

NJVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car is a 2001, I would not be concerned about reliability.
Maybe not even stone chips or potential animal damage, but a Viper with a Venom package.....I would be more concerned about speeding tickets!!!
You may not have a choice if you need to carry a gun.
It's a natural feeling. I was paranoid.
My car was located just outside Charlotte, NC and driving it back to NJ was not even an option in my mind.
I used Intercity Lines about 2 months ago and they were superb. They treated my car like a Doctor would treat a new born baby.
Good luck whatever way you choose.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">Michael - take a friend and drive it. My wife and I did it when we bought ours. Our trip was only 800 miles home. We hopped a 6AM flight to go it it, left the dealership at about 10:00 AM, and picked my car up back at the airport at 10:00 (where my wife pushed me out of the Viper and took off for the last 40 minutes or so home from the airport. She could have at least waited for my car to start
laugh.gif
).

We took a leisurely drive home on western freeways (most posted 75mph) and pretty much stuck to the speed limits. We did not want to spend hours going through the paperwork of car from state X stopped in state Y with driver from state Z if we attracted attention of the law enforcement community.

It was fun and we got to know the snake as well. The mileage surprised me, 23.5 mpg best with 23 as an average.

Go for it and enjoy yourself. That's what Viper ownership is all about!

</FONT c>

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Phoenix and I own a Viper right now that is sitting in Houston TX. I arranged for trailer-transportation through Reliable Carriers however it looks like the time from pickup to delivery is unknown.

I now am contemplating flying into Houston and driving the car from Houston to Phoenix, about 1100 miles. The problem with this is I fear the great state of Texas;
death2.gif
a vehicle failure could leave me stranded on Interstate 10 in the middle of "no-mans-land" (i.e Ozona TX) - such makes me nervous. And because I need to fly to Houston, I cannot bring my gun. My worries with driving it is that it is not a stock Viper; its a 2001 with low miles & has the Venom package so I am not sure what the "typical" reliability is on this car driving long distances. The car is in excellent condition and no indication is present that I would not make it. But as they say, "Don't mess with Texas".

What would you do? Drive it? Wait "x" days and have it shipped?

Michael

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive that baby! I understand your concerns, but why have a car that you're afraid to drive?
yesnod.gif
If your car hasn't been abused and you know of no problems with the car then you should drive it. I've got about 10K miles on my GTS & 2K are track miles and I would have no concerns driving my baby cross country.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was faced with the same situation recently with an extremely low mileage GTS that I needed to drive about 300 miles to get it home. I decided to drive it home and I enjoyed every minute of it. Be prepared for gaulkers, everybody wants to get a closer look.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
DRIVE IT! I drove my VENOM 500 and 650R back and forth from Houston to Dallas twice immediately after both upgrade installations. Had no problems at all except for the one hour delays at the midway pit stops when my VENOM was flocked and I felt compelled to share the excitement with fellow enthusiasts. I took my 45 with me both times for personal safety as I'm a strong believer in not allowing my fate to be determined by scumballs I may come across. I'd airport check and bring along as a smart precaution. West Texas is vast and sparsely populated and has a lot of snakes other than your VENOM. The VENOM has bullet-proof ( no pun intended ) reliability. I've not had a single problem and have run 180+ several times. If you got Trey's car as speculated in the above posts you got a great car. Trey takes excellent care. Again, drive it and enjoy without worry of mechanical problems. Good luck trying to stay under triple digits! If you do drive it please post about what I'm sure will be a wonderful experience. Welcome to the VENOM brotherhood! BTW, if it is Trey's blue/silver beast stay off the NOS until you get to your home stomping grounds. You'll blow away anything you come across on the highway without it anyway!
BURNOUT.gif
eek.gif
yesnod.gif
seeya.gif

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would drive it. I recently did a 8600 mile coast-to-coast-to-coast trip on my Harley and on one stretch rode the interstate (mostly I-10) from Tucson to Waco (1001 miles) in 17 hours straight!

My biggest fear was lack of gas stations, but that was no problem and I-10 in west Texas is great for WOT runs! I never feared for my safety (but then again, I never do) and there were great people everywhere along the way.

Do it!!

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, drive it. I drove the San Antonio to San Diego drive and can attest to the pleasure. Even if there is a problem with the car, I am sure it will limp you home. I know you can pull 4 random plug wires off and still cruise 80 MPH. Enjoy the drive!

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I DROVE IT!

I flew into Houston Saturday morning and treked to Phoenix all day and nite. Left 2pm, got home to PHX @ 7am on Sunday. NO PROBLEMS! Thanks for the encouragment; it certainly makes me feel comfortable knowing that I don't have to deal with any 3rd party carriers now!

Whew!

Michael

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter L. DeCarlo:
Is it KING GTS viper?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes sir. Congrats on a great buy on a AWESOME GTS!!