What year Viper should I buy?

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I wanted a Gen 1ish RT'S 93-96. (Really I still do because when you think of Viper that's the car you think of) But there seems to be so many headaches with them. Headgakets etc. Then it's finding one that isn't a pile of crap. If I'm going to spend $30k on a car I feel it should look like it. I've seen too many that were ragged out and not very many that were great. Problem is I don't have a job i can travel all over the place to check Vipers out. After I wasted 8 hours one day going to look at a bad car, I've been hasitent to go more then a hour to look at anything & have put the whole "Viper buying" on hold.
So then thought I could move up to maybe a Gen 2. Spend alittle more money and maybe less problems. After watching a few sell on ebay, I was watching the Srt's. For really not much more you can have a nice one of those. Bottom line what is going to give me more bang for my buck & less headaches? I'm not looking to mod or etc, a stock car is just fine with me. I'm just looking for some direction. Thanks this has been my dream car and my only goal in life, but I need a Viper before my kid is born or I'm never going to be able to get it.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust the forum. Find a car that one of the guys on here have up for sale and you may not even have to go look at it. I didn't and boy do I love her. She came modded and I've done a little more in the year I've had it as well. You'll eventually give in to the madness. Go GEN II.

:usa:

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Amen, find a car for sale by a VCA member. You know that the car is owned by someone who has been through the process which you find yourself today. If you can stomach the extra cash get a Gen III. The car is a lot easier to live with especially if it is your first Viper.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both, and remember all too well the issues you are facing.

Both cars are an absolute pleasure to own. There is of course a big debate on the look of the Gen I/II vs the Gen III. You have to decide that for yourself.

As far as quality goes. You can find it in all gens. The Gen I head gasket is an easy one. Just try to buy a car with it already done. I had mine done while under warranty just in case, and I am sure other have as well.

If money may be an issue with a new born coming, I'm confident you can find a quality Gen I/I.5/II from a member.

Any color preference? RT, GTS, convertible?

BTW, Members have traditionally stepped up to the plate to help out of towners inspect cars. So don't be shy in asking for advise or help.

Cheers

Sapphire RT/Tn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First step - get a VIPER BUYERS GUIDE. This will help you figure out which VIPER is best for you. You will learn a ton from this book. good luck.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Needs to be a RT or a Convertible.
9.9 times out of 10 the owner of the RT-10s have no idea if the gaskets have been changed.(At least the cars I've looked after) Car needs to be close to perfect on the outside. Really like red, also cheap as possible!;)
Not "all" VCA members cars are nice or know everything about it. Two of the worst cars I saw were VCA members. Not putting anyone down but anyone can join a site. I hope you understand what I'm getting at. Yes I would like to get the car from a private owner that has taken care of there car and has all records, etc. Am i being alittle pickey yes, this is my dream car & alot of money for me to spend. If I was looking for a $2,000 car wouldn't care as long as it ran long enough to get me home.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what members cars you've been considering (not important), but if you find a car that you like from any active member, there will be dozens of his/her region's members that will be familiar with the car and the owner. I'd be surprised if the VCA owner cars with which you've been disappointed were not advertised as exactly what they are, i.e., our members are generally honest and know that they'd look pretty foolish after 1 post here from a prospective buyer asking for advice.

Take your time and speak with our listed owners. Then ask around about his/her Viper, especially in the local regional forum. As mentioned, you may pay a small premium for a Viper that's been perfectly maintained, but you won't get burned.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of folks who post here regularly that can/have helped dozens of people purchase a Viper...the key is to ask for help BEFORE you get too worked up over a given car. VCA members are a tight group, and generally go the extra mile to help a new owner achieve his/her dream without bad outcomes. Given the history of Viper accidents, be suspect from the get-go. Make someone PROVE to you that it's a straight car (if that's what you want). VCA member's knowledge about a given car, inspection by one or more VCA members, inspection at a Dodge dealer by a Certified Viper Tech combined with Dodge's history on the car coupled with Carfax are all stepping stones to the pathway to happiness. NOTE: if you do buy a Viper from a Dodge Dealer...it may indeed be able to be covered by a Used Car Warranty that you can purchase at he time of sale...if you so wish.

Take your time...look around...ask for help!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Needs to be a RT or a Convertible.
9.9 times out of 10 the owner of the RT-10s have no idea if the gaskets have been changed.(At least the cars I've looked after) Car needs to be close to perfect on the outside. Really like red, also cheap as possible!;)
Not "all" VCA members cars are nice or know everything about it. Two of the worst cars I saw were VCA members. Not putting anyone down but anyone can join a site. I hope you understand what I'm getting at. Yes I would like to get the car from a private owner that has taken care of there car and has all records, etc. Am i being alittle pickey yes, this is my dream car & alot of money for me to spend. If I was looking for a $2,000 car wouldn't care as long as it ran long enough to get me home.

Seems to me that you have a very realistic handle on your Viper Quest. But DO spend $25 on a Viper Buyers Guide! And your price range equates to a Gen 1. A NICE G1 can be found if you are patient. There is something "dedicated" about plunking down 30-large on a car with NO Windows, No real top, no door handles, no driver comforts or driver aids,,,,,,, You "Feel" your ownership differently in a Gen 1 ! I bet most Gen 1 owners remember this unique bond toward their G1.

It would be a simple matter for a SITE MEMBER to inspect a neighboring car for you, esp if you offer them a donation for their favorite charity or a tank of gas.....that Site member might also be a VCA Member! [ I too have seen some thrashed Vipers owned by VCA members.]

P.S. "Anyone can join a site" is the HUGE MEMBERSHIP VOID the VCA experiences, with many newbees thinking they have joined the VCA, just because they joined this site !

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2000 GEN 2 GTS and paid $40,000, It was a Club members car and was realy well looked after. I had a couple of VCA members go and look at the car for me and they gave me the thumbs up. I also got a Carfax search done on the car and paid for the Buy back Guarntee. I think I got the Bargin of the year!

I cant tell you how pleased I am with the car. I did not see the car untill it arrived in the United Kingdom! However the car is Fab :2tu:

Looking at some of the adverts in the classifieds, personally I find some of the prices slightly high! Gen 1 and 2 cars seem to be holding there price but the later cars prices seem to be sliding? We see overhere daily in the news of the credit crunch hitting you guys, with jobs and property being at serious risk.
Do you think this will affect Viper prices, with current owners having to sell up? :dunno::(

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owned all 4 generations feel free to give me a call at 732-977-7244 (Joe )if you want any help or have a particular question on one generation or another.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Main thing is to take your time. I studied on it for several years before I was ready financially. Changed my mind several times on color and year, stripes or not. Started out thinking 97 B/w, got the buyers guide and talked to various owners who explained to me what they liked and didn't like about this model and that. Decided what kind of driving I'd be doing, etc. Each year is slightly or even significantly different from others. All these factors come into play. You're in no rush, or atleast you shouldn't be. Ask around some more, there's alot of imput to be had. Good luck.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Get Viper Buyers Guide
2) Study said book!:D
3) Study it again only this time thinking about what car best suits you!:nono::D
4) Go looking for a car in your narrowed down search. Once you have a certain year and color decided on, it becomes much easier.
5) When you find a car, ask the boards and local president to that area about the car. They will know how the previous owner (even if he was in the VCA) treated the car.
6) Get car and do big smokey burnouts!:drive:;)

Robert

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Answer to question: None. Hold onto your money until the economic clouds clear.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cunfusious does have a very good point. :notworthy: With the way the economy is right now, it would be wise to hold onto that maney right now. Never know what the next while will bring....:hmmm:

Granted if that means not getting one because of children, do it now or you will :buttkick: later.

My .03 cents (<- Inflation :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That's part of the reason a year later I still don't have a Viper. This is probably the best response I've recevied. If wasn't for the kid on the way I'd still be dragging my feet. But it's been a year & a half search on and off and it's about time to do it.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking at some of the adverts in the classifieds, personally I find some of the prices slightly high! Gen 1 and 2 cars seem to be holding there price but the later cars prices seem to be sliding? We see overhere daily in the news of the credit crunch hitting you guys, with jobs and property being at serious risk.
Do you think this will affect Viper prices, with current owners having to sell up? :dunno::(

I agree with you. I've been watching cars on ebay selling all over the place in the past year. Gen 1 seem to sell in the $25,000-$32,000 range on adv. Gen 2's $32-$40,000 Noticed alot of SRT10's selling in the $40,000-$50,000 range. Normally the prices are alot higher on here, but that is going to be typical with any forum.
I was hoping to find a diamond in the rough, someone that needs to sell bad and has a great car.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure what members cars you've been considering (not important), .

I wasn't putting anyone down, it just happened I be unlucky on a certain car(s). I did have a great memember that was a hour from me that met up with me to show me his car. Things to look for etc. I'm a top poster on a Motorcycle forum and I understand the greatness of how tight a forum can be. We travel all over the place to meet people, hang out, ride, & help people out. So if anyone is looking for a Roadstar Warrior;)

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cunfusious does have a very good point. :notworthy: With the way the economy is right now, it would be wise to hold onto that maney right now. Never know what the next while will bring....:hmmm:

Granted if that means not getting one because of children, do it now or you will :buttkick: later.

My .03 cents (<- Inflation :rolleyes:)

The moeny I will be useing was put away just for this, so I'm not taking out of someday to day money. If that was the case this would not be a thought. But it is the kid thing coming that your 100% right it WILL NOT HAPPEN ONCE IT POPS OUT.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We all have our own tastes and preferences. Buy the one you like best.

I know that, but was really just looking for what year seems to be the "best". if I can have a 04 for about the same price as a 93. Just wondering if I would be stupid not to jump on it. But a 04 might be the pinto of Vipers. Hate to make that mistake. All my reaserch has been on 92-96 Vipers. I have the moeny to by the car, but not to be dumping another $2000 every week into it too. What put me off on the early gens what all the problems. I had a guy give me a spread sheet on al the stuff he had did to his car. Seeing that he had over $50,000 in his 94, and he was selling it for what he paid for it 3 years before that (low 30's)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to rain on your parade, and feel free to ignore me 100%, but with the shaky economy AND you have a kid on the way, I'm not sure if this is the best time for you to buy a Viper. I don't have any kids, which helps me to continue to afford mine :) A friend of mine was planning on buying a Viper in early 09'. He found out a couple weeks ago that he has TWINS on the way. No more Viper for him for a while. I know you really want one and remember your search several months ago, but I just dunno with you having a kid on the way and the economy not promising anyone a job tomorrow. Diapers aren't cheap. Your new baby will make you a lot happier than any car. But, then again, I see your point of buying it now before the kid arrives. Just be sure spending the $$ on a Viper doesn't get in the way of spoiling the heck out of him/her :) Just food for thought.

As for Gen 1 issues...I bought mine at 51k, now has 86k on it. So far my problems include:

Leaky oil cooler line. Can't remember price, but $100 or less I think.

Bushing in the clutch pedal going out. Not gone, just "going" at this point. Tator said to replace everything will be about $200 in parts.

Previous owner repairs: head gaskets were replaced under warranty, replaced clutch, and maybe some other little stuff, but thats all the major stuff that sticks in my mind. All in all, I'm as happy as I could be with my Viper :) Good luck with your search!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think there will ever be a better time to buy one, a lot for sale people need money bargains to be had. This is a great time if you have the money to spend. Obviously if you are extending yourself thats a different issue.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think there will ever be a better time to buy one, a lot for sale people need money bargains to be had. This is a great time if you have the money to spend. Obviously if you are extending yourself thats a different issue.

I'm agreeing with you on the deals. :2tu:

Not extending myself. I'm the last person in the world to do that. I've wanted a 60" tv for 3 years now, guess who stills enjoys tv on his 32" tube tv & drives a ****** car to work. I'm one of the few I guess that is not up to my neck in debt. Not sure I'm even to my ankles.:D Anyways, i know crap happens etc, but that is why I'm looking for a Viper that seems to have the least amount of headaches so I don't have to "extend" myself. The money i will be using is something I didn't have before, and am still just fine if i didn't come across it.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to rain on your parade, and feel free to ignore me 100%, but with the shaky economy AND you have a kid on the way, I'm not sure if this is the best time for you to buy a Viper. A friend of mine was planning on buying a Viper in early 09'. He found out a couple weeks ago that he has TWINS on the way. No more Viper for him for a while. I know you really want one and remember your search several months ago, but I just dunno with you having a kid on the way and the economy not promising anyone a job tomorrow. Diapers aren't cheap. Your new baby will make you a lot happier than any car. But, then again, I see your point of buying it now before the kid arrives. Just be sure spending the $$ on a Viper doesn't get in the way of spoiling the heck out of him/her :) Just food for thought.

Thank god not twins!!!! but my point is still the same and you made it again. Your buddie will not be getting a Viper now because of kids. Trust me I'm the kind of guy that studies both sides of the story many times way before I come up with a plan, and when it comes to money 99.9% of the time I error on keeping it in the bank. This is the only thing I've wanted in life. I don't want to be that guy that looked back and said Damn wish I would have done that when I had the chance. Life is very short, trust me I've learned this in the past year, sometimes you need to live in the moment. Don't think the kid will have any problem getting spoiled (First grandkid & probably the only one for quite a few years)

Sapphire RT/Tn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Life is way too short not to do it, if you have the means. It's not like you're throwing your money away, you can always sell the viper if you had to.

GEN II is the way to go. ORIGINAL VIPER looks, 450hp, A/C, Power windows, door locks, stereo/CD.

Just my $.02