Whats parts from Gen II can swap to Gen I cars?

Reaction score
I saw a good post about swapping Gen II headers for the Gen I cars and looked but didn't see any other posts.

What other parts are good swaps from other Gen cars to the original Gen I cars or in my case Gen I 1996 RT/10 (the half breed).:)

Thanks

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw the post. Been there done that. I can't say I saw any gains worth noting on that one. Here is what you'll find about installing those gen II headers (98 up). You can find them all day long for next to nothing but the flex pipe connecting part is what you will find is hard to come by. Most discard them along with the cat or cut them too far back when removing. Don't bother checking with the dealer for those connectors as they are sold with the factory cats at near $900 a side.

My favorite Gen II part for a Gen I is the cam (708). Too bad the price of GenI head gaskets are so far up there that it doesn't really make it worth the mod. Besides you also got to free up those TB's - Gen I's are wery restrictive. 56mm as compared to a GenII which is 62mm. If you saw them side by side you would understand. Other than that the motor themselves are very similar. Same bore,stroke Valve size (both I/E).

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes I would be interested also. I read somewhere that the 72mm actually were worse than better

If you're talking about a GenII going from 62mm (stock) to 72mm on a otherwise stock (internal) motor yes it would hurt. I was talking about a Gen I being brought up to ***** to a Gen II
and yes I had some good experience with it on my car.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In no way is it a bolt on. GenI's alternator sits between theTB's thus the reason for two cables. The GenII's alternator sits elsewhere and then they ran a connecting rod(link) between the two TB's thus getting rid of the use for two cables. What that means is you can't run GenII TB's because the alternator would interfer with the connecting rod. Check in my pics where as I've been doing the mod for years. I've done/sold over 20 sets. Not one complaint.

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why I was asking. I was thinking maybe it is possible to control the right Gen2 TB with the second cable instead of the connecting rod.

Interesting pictures in your gallery, thanks. So you are not using Gen2 TB, but machining Gen1 TB to Gen2 diameter, correct?

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why I was asking. I was thinking maybe it is possible to control the right Gen2 TB with the second cable instead of the connecting rod.

Interesting pictures in your gallery, thanks. So you are not using Gen2 TB, but machining Gen1 TB to Gen2 diameter, correct?

I never looked into modifying a GenII right side TB so you could use the other cable. My resources just made it easy to go ahead and modify my own.

With that said - No I'm not using a GenII TB nor did I ever attempt it. Yes I was running a GenI TB to a GenII diameter. I've been asked several times if I could modify a GenII any larger and that answer is no. There's not much room left over for improvement. 62mm is basically 2.440 in inches and stock smooth tubes are 2.5 inches so....... Not much room left for improvement.

I'm currently running 65mm Acufabs and those require modifications too. They require 3" hoses and a modified airbox to adapt to the 3" hoses. I sold my old TB's some time ago and I'm not sure I see that big of a difference for the money spent.(65mm Versus 62mm) Too late to go back now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960