whats the biggest OD muffler i can fit in the side sills?

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a 97 GTS and will be converting to side exit exhaust and wanted to know how big of a pipe i can fit in there. all my my piping will be custom made and i want to stick the biggest muffler i can in there. how big of an OD you think will fit? will 6" fit? or even 7?

thanks in advance

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just took a couple 6.125 inch OD Dynomax bullet mufflers out of my '01 GTS that were more or less in the resonator position after trying them for 50 miles total. (they're for sale btw)

The passenger side sill went over them without a whimper, the driver's side was a tad tighter - but it went together fine, and the sheetmetal screws underneath did not pop out, so...

Ten years ago, I had Dynomax SS mufflers under the sills on my '94 Viper that were just over 6 inch OD..

I wouldn't bet on 7 inch OD mufflers fitting under the sills.. I'd say 6.25 inch OD or less - max.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok thanks a lot, i will look for something in the 6"od range. my problem is getting the biggest pipe in there with some sort of muffling agent. the biggest i found so far are 4" in and outs with an OD of 6" for gas powered cars. there is a 5" in and out with an OD of 7" which i was hoping to get, but i guess thats out of the question now.

i wonder what a muffler made for diesel trucks that is 30" long 5" inlet 5" outlet pipe with an OD of 6" would sound like...

oh and so you dont think im crazy, its for a high hp twin turbo application. im just reaching for possibilities.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bullets I took out were 5 inch in and out, 6.125 inch OD btw.

Dynomax has welded mufflers in 3", 3.5" and 4" ID with 6" OD ..

Check Summit

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ooo thanks a lot, i will check into them. how much are you selling them by the way? i will take them into consideration when i finalize my decision, and what type of application did you use them for?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ooo thanks a lot, i will check into them. how much are you selling them by the way? i will take them into consideration when i finalize my decision, and what type of application did you use them for?

They were $63 each new. Open to reasonable offers.

I had them on an experimental OE header/OE catback (minus resonators) n/a application..

:D

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32