What's the problem at TMS?

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s the problem at TMS?

Congrats to Bobby Archer on his win yesterday at TMS. Bob Woodhouse was on his tail most of the race and made for some good spectating. My question is why so many crashes? Is there something about the set up in the infield at TMS or was it the weather? :confused: :usa:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: What\'s the problem at TMS?

Sounds like the win is still up in the air a bit, for a rules infraction ( kinda similar to Kenseth going over the line at pit entrance ), but one of the McCanns flipped and we had others back into tire walls during practice and in the race. Woodhouse messed up his rear end ( just a tiny bit ) ,backing into the tires during qualifying, and rumor was Archer had an altercation after the race. There is too much speculation going on, so we need so one to drop the definitive number of damaged Serpents. The track was damp in spots and that part of Tejas saw rain for days. Most feel the damp and cold track was the precursor to all the damage.

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I heard Henry Cone and Rob Foster both flipped their cars!

That is correct, Henry flipped his white GTS and Foster his comp coupe. Nobody hurt that I saw. Henry went on to drive his comp coupe in a later race. :usa:

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Will this be the track the VOI will be at for activities. Probably won't let you run the banking though. Dang that is a lot of messed up cars. I guess that is what you get when you run 5/6ths of the Nascar track!!!

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Will this be the track the VOI will be at for activities. Probably won't let you run the banking though. Dang that is a lot of messed up cars. I guess that is what you get when you run 5/6ths of the Nascar track!!!

All of the accidents I saw happened in the infield well away from the banking. :usa:

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Henry doesnt own a comp coupe...you must be talking about Rob.

I heard Henry was OK, fyi.

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Henry doesnt own a comp coupe...you must be talking about Rob.

I heard Henry was OK, fyi.

Whoever was in the Orange General Lee, my bad, I thought it was Henry.

OT Challenge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Both major wrecks were in the same general area (the infield esses). Foster wrecked because he tried to go two wide where cars can't go two wide. Simple as that. TMS is arguably one of the more safe facilities because there is only one corner where you can really hit anything and the rest of the remainder of the track you are right foot down around the oval.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shelby3,

There is a thread titled TMS Photos, by Pictureman. He is a friend of mine that was there. He said in an e-mail he sent me with a pic of Woodhouse that he thought 3 cars flipped. He said he took over 1,000 photos. He might even have a flip on film.

I'm a Blue White fan, he said he thought one of the flips was a Blue White GTS.

I wasn't there so I'm only third hand here. He's easy to contact via his web site www.tgfoto.com maybe you can get him to post some pics of the flips if he has any.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Ryck
I had to go back and check my email I sent. I only knew of the white one that rolled onto it's top. I didn't know the green one rolled over to. In the wrong spot again. The blue 39 one was just sliding through the grass that I got a picture of it. How many miles does your 97 blue/white have on it now?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guess NASA & SCCA arent' so bad afterall. Congrats to all Viper Days participants and Champions.

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shelby3,

There is a thread titled TMS Photos, by Pictureman. He is a friend of mine that was there. He said in an e-mail he sent me with a pic of Woodhouse that he thought 3 cars flipped. He said he took over 1,000 photos. He might even have a flip on film.

I'm a Blue White fan, he said he thought one of the flips was a Blue White GTS.

I wasn't there so I'm only third hand here. He's easy to contact via his web site www.tgfoto.com maybe you can get him to post some pics of the flips if he has any.

No Blue/White flipped that I'm aware of. There was a Blue/White there that sounded totally bad a$$ on the straights, much meaner than anything else there. :headbang: :usa:

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I re-read Tims e-mail to me.

It said...

"One guy ended up on his top on the road course part. They had several spinouts during the race. There were 3 blue ones racing together, a couple hundred feet apart so I went to shoot a picture for Ryck of the 3 of them lined up and about the time I took it the middle one went shooting across the grass."

:eek: My Bad.....I just thought the way it was worded that the "one guy" "on his top" meant one of the Blue and Whites he referenced. :eek:

Sorry Tim...I Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, the way I have you put "extra" things in your photographs. :D Wink...Wink...

I'm up to a whopping 207 miles on the GTS. Look at the very end of the thread titled "looking to buy lowest mile best condition 97 Blue White GTS" I got mail today from the dealership. They sent me the Sports section of the local news paper and there is a photo and a paragraph about me and the GTS! Slow news day in town if they put ME in there. I had a guy post the photo from the news paper.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don McDaniel owns the General Lee.
Sounds like the North Carolina crew had some tough times down there...

Hope everybody is OK!

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The General Lee is a really cool looking bright orange Viper that looks like the General Lee from Dukes of Hazard. I can send you a picture of it if you want.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The General Lee is a really cool looking bright orange Viper that looks like the General Lee from Dukes of Hazard. I can send you a picture of it if you want.

post one here, I love the general lee

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does someone have a web host I can send it to. I have to download my whole web site to put a picture on it.

Ed Robertson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Long
First let me say that the weather did not help. Friday cold and rain most of the day, only cars on track were street cars or trucks trying to dry the track. Saturday was again cold and on-off rain. The Vipers did get on the track for part of the day on a wet track. Most run groups got 3 sessions in before the rain came back. Race was canceled. Sunday again cold day with on-off sprinkles. The track had moistier espacily on the infield plus it was cold.
The first race qualifing group had alot of spins, but nothing major. The second group had a different track as it started to sprinkle. About 8 min. into the session Henry Cone in his 98 GTS lost it coming out of a sweeping curve, slid across the infield, hit a tire wall and then flipped. Henry stated that all safty equipment worked as it should and he was fine. He attened a drivers meeting shortly there after. He also stated that the car will run again.
The race started on a moist cold track. There were several spins but nothing major until Mike McCann and Rob Foster in their Comp. Coupe had contact. They were side by side going through the S's. Rob got a little of track which through him into Mike's car. At that point they both spun, but Rob hit a tire wall and flipped. Again with the safety equipment, Rob had no injuries and walked away. Rob's car will also run again.Both flips happened on the infield at the S's which puts you closest to the tire wall and concrete barrier.
After the race the track dried out so there were some good track times.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't you guys carry rain tires? Are you guys driving on Hoosier DOT tires in the rain? Does not make for a good combination. Viper Days is not always going to have the "Sun Gods" on their side. "I feel your pain" to all the carnaged Vipers. Cold weather is no fun to race.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here it is
4151_copy-thumb.jpg

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thats just beautiful...

If you remember the show this car was in thay basicly burned rubber every chance they got, and got in poliece chases going to get groceries.. Thats my kind of show.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

41513_jpeg.jpg

These guys were flying around the banked TMS track. They were more fun to watch then the last Winston Cup race I went to. Does anyone know why they don't open the gates up to spectators/general public?

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

41513_jpeg.jpg

These guys were flying around the banked TMS track. They were more fun to watch then the last Winston Cup race I went to. Does anyone know why they don't open the gates up to spectators/general public?

Insurance is unreal when you get into the spectator side of things.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4