What's the rarest Viper collectable?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on how you define collectable.

A Viper that has 5 factory on it could be considered a collectable....

SO I am going to guess here that you mean non car? And by rare as in fewest produced or costing the most? :dunno:

OP
OP
J

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It depends on how you define collectable.

A Viper that has 5 factory on it could be considered a collectable....

SO I am going to guess here that you mean non car? And by rare as in fewest produced or costing the most? :dunno:

Right, not a car, something that is next to impossible to find, i.e. low production #'s, the value is relevant.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prototype cupholder that was never authorized for production.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Viper Buyer's Guide (by Maurice Q. Liang) page 157...

"Perhaps the most interesting hard-to-find part is not even an official part. It's the infamous 'Green Doohickey' found under the hood. As the frame was being painted, workers simply installed a small green protective screw cap on the grounding post, used for battery charging and jump starting. This cap stopped the protective electrostatic paint from coating this post. Assembly craftsmen at the Viper plant simply left this piece on the post for 6 years of Viper production. It had no part number, no internal cost factor-but every 1992 to 1996 Viper RT/10 had one! However, many dealers and owners discarded the Doohickey when they discovered it had no function. But with no part number, it's impossible to replace."

You must be registered for see images

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are probably some Fly 1/32 Viper Slot cars that are pretty rare... I think there was a white with green stripes GTS that is highly collectible.

GTSDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Viper Buyer's Guide (by Maurice Q. Liang) page 157...

"Perhaps the most interesting hard-to-find part is not even an official part. It's the infamous 'Green Doohickey' found under the hood. As the frame was being painted, workers simply installed a small green protective screw cap on the grounding post, used for battery charging and jump starting. This cap stopped the protective electrostatic paint from coating this post. Assembly craftsmen at the Viper plant simply left this piece on the post for 6 years of Viper production. It had no part number, no internal cost factor-but every 1992 to 1996 Viper RT/10 had one! However, many dealers and owners discarded the Doohickey when they discovered it had no function. But with no part number, it's impossible to replace."

You must be registered for see images

That's the one... :2tu:

Still got the one from my old RT, as have a couple of the guys over here in the UK, I know Baz has still got his too... Didn't realise how rare they were until I asked what it was after I bought the car.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rarest ... one that is unloved by its owner - haven't seen a single one yet! :drive:

Dont know. Saw one here in Ontario that is not a member of the VCA and it had 60K miles on it and the hing was beat! Owner said it was just another car! :omg: I could have cried at how tough it was! :(

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The unauthorized Viper models created after the prototype in 1989 and before launch in 1992. Matchbox created two car versions and the rarest is a doll with the MatchBox MB15 Sunburner (Viper prototype)inside.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About twelve years ago, I remember people posting about a single RT/10 that was built with the smoothie hood during the first year that they had the "GTS style" hood on them. Apparently someone at the factory had one of the previous year's hoods, and the car made it all the way out of the factory, through QA, to the dealer, through dealer prep and into the hands of the owner without anyone catching the mistake. I remember him posting about it thinking it was weird that his car had the old style hood on it. That hood would probably be the rarest thing in the world to try to replace with a "production date correct" part.

GTSDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About twelve years ago, I remember people posting about a single RT/10 that was built with the smoothie hood during the first year that they had the "GTS style" hood on them. Apparently someone at the factory had one of the previous year's hoods, and the car made it all the way out of the factory, through QA, to the dealer, through dealer prep and into the hands of the owner without anyone catching the mistake. I remember him posting about it thinking it was weird that his car had the old style hood on it. That hood would probably be the rarest thing in the world to try to replace with a "production date correct" part.

I don't know this story, but RT/10's were produced in both 1996 & 1997 years with smooth hoods whilst the GTS had the vents...

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I was offered a few 1/12 Coupes. I was told they were prototypes. As you guys know the Anson/JRL 1/12s that we know of are all RT10s. I never saw them 'cause (stupid me!)...I passed on them.....
I'm still trying to get my hands on one/any.

OP
OP
J

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A few years ago I was offered a few 1/12 Coupes. I was told they were prototypes. As you guys know the Anson/JRL 1/12s that we know of are all RT10s. I never saw them 'cause (stupid me!)...I passed on them.....
I'm still trying to get my hands on one/any.

Who made those?

vipernut

Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure (if memoery serves) that they were purported to be prototypes from ANSON/JRL....but as I said....I never did know for sure!

vipernut

Venom Member
Reaction score
The E2 is a great fairly rare car....but it's not like some of the other one offs .and .prototypes that there are only a handful of.
Lots of us have the E2.....!!
In that (E2) category I'd put the Mattel Birthday Viper..Xmas Viper...and Mt Laurel Viper..all with their amazing packaging!!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's one on ebay now with a starting bid of $699...

I have a few Fly Vipers along with over 100 various other cars and a 40' 4 lane track... Fly makes some great cars but their Viper body just doesn't capture the sleek look of a real GTS IMO...

Right ?

The E2 is a great fairly rare car....but it's not like some of the other one offs .and .prototypes that there are only a handful of.
Lots of us have the E2.....!!
In that (E2) category I'd put the Mattel Birthday Viper..Xmas Viper...and Mt Laurel Viper..all with their amazing packaging!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude