What's with this -- a V-8 Coupe??

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s with this -- a V-8 Coupe??

Here's what Autoweek just announced:

6594Firepower_SV.jpg

The Chrysler Firepower (Chrysler does not own the name and will need a new one prior to Detroit) is a Viper-based Corvette fighter.

6594Firepower1.jpg

Show Starters: Chrysler offers first look at two 2005 Detroit show concepts
MAC MORRISON
Posted Date: 11/16/04

"The concept, for now dubbed Firepower (Chrysler does not own the name and will need a new one prior to Detroit), is based on the V10 Viper’s architecture but uses the 6.1-liter, 425 hp, 420-lb-ft Hemi V8 that will see first light in the forthcoming 300C SRT-8. Again, officials say there are no production plans, but envision the car occupying the space between the Crossfire and (in theory) the ME412 in Chrysler’s performance portfolio.

Though the car is Viper-based - and Creed referenced Chevrolet’s Corvette as a key competitor (again, in theory) - the designers envision "Firepower" as more grand tourer than outright sports car; hence the softened suspension and five-speed automatic transmission. Brakes are 14-inch Brembos at all four corners, and the huge rubber measures 275/35 R19 up front, 335/30 R20 in back. Engineers estimate the car is capable of bolting from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds or less, and a 185 mph top speed.

6594Firepower_RR_iso.jpg

Whether the car ever meets a production line, Chrysler has produced a concept that would fill an obvious hole in its product lineup. Executives will keep careful watch on public reaction at Detroit in January."

See, I told you the designers could do a better looking coupe than the VOI SRT Coupe. Now, let's see if they can do a good VIPER coupe! :laugh:

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s with this -- a V-8 Coupe??

Maybe that is actually the new SRT Coupe, and they are testing the water, like they tested the waters in Dallas.

I like that better than what I saw in Dallas.

DR VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Cool ....
It looks like Vanquish in the front with the crossfire lines on the side and around the back!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe that is actually the new SRT Coupe, and they are testing the water, like they tested the waters in Dallas.
And maybe they are making it a V8 too. :(

OP
OP
H

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks AviP for getting the pictures up. I couldn't figure out why mine wouldn't post -- discovered that they were just too small for the normal procedure. :p

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why is it so popular to cut the asses off of cars these days? Looks like the Bizzaro version of the new coupe. :confused: :usa:

You must be registered for see images

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This concept is already out:

You must be registered for see images

6594Firepower_SV.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're right, Fiorano, except that Ford's GR-1 has a ten cylinder engine, not an eight like Chrysler just announced!

6594GR1_top.jpg

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It's hard to tell by the above photos, but how does the door open? Looks like they left the door off the photos to give it more of a stealth appearance.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why would it cost less than a Viper?
How much would DC save by making a "Viper based" car without the V10?

And if it's Viper based, how many are they going to make? Are they going to have a high volume production line to make welded up frames?

It looks great from the side, ok from the front and like crap from the rear.
And,
by the time it comes to market, it wont look as good from any of those angles.

They either will not build it or it will not be what they say.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like it....It looks better than the GR-1 though they do look similar in profile only...If it is to go head to head with the Vette it would have to be targeted to the reg Vette and not Z06 version I would imagine....hope they build it :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang