What's your thoughts on garage queens?

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s your thoughts on garage queens?

I love garage queens, I just bought one!!!! It had 4K miles. After changing all the fluids, I started to put miles on it. Now, it has gotten too hot to drive it much. So just detail it, get a comfortable chair, and a COLD Miller Lite and gaze upon it. LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!! Your money, your car. Just be happy, there is not enough of that out there.

Doc :headbang:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, when we first got out first '96, it was the ULTIMATE garage queen. It was treated like art - in the air conditioned garage - only coming out for car shows and to get washed.

We wouldn't even leave it anywhere. Here's some good mocking fodder for the next time you all see Henry. He used to wipe his feet with a towel before putting them in the car.

Then, we decided to drive the car to Vegas for the 1999 VOI. We had to hurry up and get the break in miles on it. We drove to Vegas - washing and covering the car almost every evening, and throwing a coat of wax on it in Flagstaff AZ before rolling into Vegas. We then stayed for the one day Viper Days event. He went off track, and got it dirty. We washed it before leaving it with Reliable for the ride home.

Over the winter, he decided that he wanted to do more Viper Days events, so we bought a second Viper (ostensibly my car) as the original 1996 was too perfect to track. Then, I decided to run some Viper Days events and we readied both cars.

They were still kinda garage queens - we didn't do anything with them but clean them, go to Viper Days and car shows. And even though we were tracking them, we had elevated them to such a status, that it was a major event just to take them out - clean this, check that, can't park it anywhere. It was tiresome. I drove the car out to work to pick him up one night and instead of being glad to see me - he was pissed becasue it was getting dark and the car would get bugs on it (oh - the horror....) It was like their "pristine-ness" was more important that our enjoyment.

Gradually, they became cars. Cars to be driven. They would still be clean, inside and out, but they could go to the store or out to dinner. They started to become FUN again. We DROVE them - we autocrossed them, we tracked them, we ran some errands in them.

For a while, my 1996 was my DD. It was great - although I still didn't run excessive errands like go to the mall, etc. And then, with my SRT - I did anything and everything with that car.

Bottom line - I've had WAY more fun driving these cars than I had polishing them, prepping them, worrying about them and keeping them in some sort of auto-coccoon.

We said just the other day how glad we were that we got out of the "treat the car like a piece of art" phase and started having some fun - because we are having so much fun and have met so many great folks - it would have been a shame to miss all that just because we wanted to keep the cars pristine.

If that's what you enjoy - then enjoy it - but for us - reformed polishers - I can't imagine going back to having them own us instead of the other way around!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There are so many of these cars, a decade old or even half that,
with very low miles,
that I'm thinking that there are lots of folks who really don't want to drive them very much.

I think they like the idea of having a Viper a whole lot more than they like driving their Viper.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I am a reformed garage car "queen". I used to show other mopars other than the Viper. They were queens. If anyhing was within 5 feet, I would panic. It was show only, Mopar and World of Wheels. YES, even the underside was waxed/polished. OVER IT!. Cars are 100x more fun to drive and enjoy! IMO(after reforming). I understand try to keep an ultra low miles car unmolested, but my car is a "reniassance" model and needs driven/used.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I never understood keeping your car nice for the next guy. Why not enjoy it while you have it.

-lou

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do whatever makes you feel happy, its your car. ME... i'm driving the heck out of mine, because thats what makes me happy and thats why I bought it. But i'll still keep it very clean inside and out.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think they like the idea of having a Viper a whole lot more than they like driving their Viper.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Joe.
I know a guy with a viper who takes it out once a week for two hours to an informal car show gathering and goes NUTS if some one even gets close to it to look at it, like they might actually brush his car with their clothes. I have seen him yell at some kids because they were standing near it. He thinks it's a freaking Enzo, not a 45K Dodge. Good lord, these are not that rare or exteremely valuable cars. The make lousy investments, ask the guy who bought a new Blue/White in '97 and put it away in storage. Almost ten years later he can proudly sell it for 15-20K less than he paid, and he got to store it for 8 years. Go figure.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They need to sell them to those of us who actually will drive them... :)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys are crazy to drive these cars. They should be kept in a bubble and only driven a couple times a year. I hate putting miles on such a wonderful machine. Shame on all of you.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score

After purchasing a Viper...it's easy to make every other vehicle I own a garage queen. Every chance I get, I take the Viper out. It's good for the soul! :2tu:

I agree.....Its real hard to walk by the snake to jump in the Road Runner....
Cheers,

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I got my SRT in September, I waxed it every week, drove it on evenings and weekends, and simply enjoyed the fact that I finally broke down and got my Viper. The weather was so nice this spring in Houston that I began driving the Viper more and more, even leaving the top down in the garage, ready at a moment's impulse to take her (Veronica) for a spin. Although I enjoy my 2500HD Duramax for my DD and need it for pulling my other toys to the ranch or to the gulf, the love affair with Veronica had begun, and I found myself using the Viper key in the morning as well as the evening. Am I worried about putting miles on her?? No way. Just like with a new romance, let me count the ways!! Drive her I do, although she still gleems with wax and dust is not allowed to collect. That is my way. For those that enjoy looking at their Viper more that driving - to each his own - they paid for it to have it their way.

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and I found myself using the Viper key in the morning as well as the evening. Am I worried about putting miles on her?? No way. Just like with a new romance, let me count the ways!! Drive her I do, although she still gleems with wax and dust is not allowed to collect. That is my way. For those that enjoy looking at their Viper more that driving - to each his own - they paid for it to have it their way.
Nice. This needs to go into a book of "Great Poems"!

If it fits on or in a Viper, I probably can't afford it.
so true lol!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and I found myself using the Viper key in the morning as well as the evening.
This guys so in love with his car, I shudder to think what he's doing with that key.....ewwwwwwwwwwww :2tu:

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gosh, thanks 93 CobraR. Maybe I'll develop a new career!! LOL

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, ViperJon, just got a call from Velocity, and they are ready to stick that key into an 800 HP ignition!!! The Paxton, high flow cats, and Corsa track are on!!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, ViperJon, just got a call from Velocity, and they are ready to stick that key into an 800 HP ignition!!! The Paxton, high flow cats, and Corsa track are on!!

Yeah baby!!!!!

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim, that is awesome!!! Talk about a beast. Hope to see you in DFW this weekend!

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ryan, looks like I may be in DFW on Saturday to pick up my newly awakened beast!! The Quaife diff. and 3.55 gears will be installed tomorrow, which are the last items on the list. Can you say excited??? That's me. If event timing (dyno, etc) allows, I will give you a call to meet your lunch crew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang