Wheel options......need help

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been seriously bitten by the drag racing bug! As some of you may remember from my previous posts I usually head out to the strip with my friends and their modified TT supra's. It is usually a pretty close race between us untill last night! One of my friends got a new set of nitto DR's and his times dropped by .5 seconds! He absolutely smoked/embarrased me last night by a margin of .9 seconds
frown.gif
I really want to get a set of DR's, but I dont want to go with the 275/40/17 mounted on a 10" viper front wheel. Nitto makes a size 315/35/17 and my question is does anyone know of a wheel available to fit our cars that will work with this tire size? Maybe a 17x12? If there is not one readily available I was also thinking of having Mr. Purner make me a set. Money is an issue in the purchase for me at this time. Any thoughts/comments would be welcomed. Thanks!

Brian
2000 GTS

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's commonly known on this board..... if you want to go FAST at the drag strip, go with Purner's "slicks & skinnies"!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3.15 Nitto's fit perfect on the Viper's front wheels. I'm running them on mine, Tom Welch also runs them. I talked to john Purner prior to purchasing them. He had no problem with the setup. He did think bias-ply slicks were a better option.

Discount tire (on-line) had 180 of them in stock when I bought mine about a month ago. They cost about $180 each. They ship out of an Ohio warehouse. They definitely affect the handling performance, on the other hand, they do improve your straight line traction.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another interesting option would be to have Purner make you a set of 17x11.5" rear wheels, onto which you could mount the 315 drag radials. You'd then be able to go to the strip just by swapping rear wheels, and you'd have the optimal-sized rears for the larger DRs.

racewheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are some used 17x12's i'm getting on trade in that were used as fronts for road racing, these would be fine as rears to run 315 drag radials on, and if/when you find the drag radials don have enought grip, or you want to try you hand at the road course they are a proven package there also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte