Wheels / Tires 4 drifting ?'s

ceokris

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wheels / Tires 4 drifting ?\'s

'97 GTS

I'm searching for the best combination of tires/wheels on a budget for drifting. It's getting expensive going through 335's.

I hear the front rims will fit on the rears which is great. But, will the 1st gen front rim also fit on the rears of a 2nd gen? I know it'll look dumb or funny, but I'm going for functionality here. Well, not unless anyone has some spare rims they are willing to give up at a discount?

Thanks hugely in advance.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Wheels / Tires 4 drifting ?\'s

Going drifting in a Viper is like swallowing laxatives for a shixting contest.Do everyone a favor and crash the car into a bridge support or burn it.Write back when you decide to go racing.Drag,road,auto-X,pro or not.If we witnesed someone out in a Ferrai,Lambo,Rolls,Aston,P car MB or Viper drifting we would brand them as an A hole. GTS Bruce

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

17's fit on the rear of a stock gen2. yes.

OP
OP
C

ceokris

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Bruce cracks me up. BTW, I do all of the above already. I'm just getting bored and require to expand my horizons. I'd take the viper rally cross too, but there's a displacement limit (wouldn't that make you vomit). bummer.

You have to admit, burning rubber at 90mph sideways is far better than MOST viper owners I know which never break 65mph NOR take theirs on the track. Those granny drivers are the people you should be attacking.

I've already found some cheap rims I can beat up. Thanks for the input.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

drifting imo is advanced skid control. its yet another thing to add to a list of driver accomplishments and skills. GL with your events & smash some rice.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Going drifting in a Viper is like swallowing laxatives for a shixting contest.Do everyone a favor and crash the car into a bridge support or burn it.Write back when you decide to go racing.Drag,road,auto-X,pro or not.If we witnesed someone out in a Ferrai,Lambo,Rolls,Aston,P car MB or Viper drifting we would brand them as an A hole. GTS Bruce

Obviously you have no skid control and cant do it. Dont knock someone for having fun. It takes more control to drift then to auto-x.
Just as I drift/auto-x/drag and road course the Viper, I will do the same on my Gallardo when I get it. I know Ill break more parts then on a Viper,but who cares. Its a car, there meant for pleasure. Learn to drive and you may enjoy drifting.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nah.Last time I went to a skid control school I could produce more hang time than the instructors.I do it all winter long in my pu truck.Sport?Skill requirement?Far less than bowling.Like snow boarding VS skiing.Far less skill and talent required but sure its fun for a little while but mostly its more boring than golf.I'd rather drive my tractor and cut the lawn than play golf or go driftring.Yeah its a John Deer. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
C

ceokris

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Wheels / Tires 4 drifting A's

Just for anyone who cares. After going through a few combinations, I've found a setup that works extremely well:

1. Get a set of cheap 1st gen viper front rims.
2. Mount 245/45 R17's at about 50psi (make them stretch)

This keeps cost low, and still gives you fairly decent control.. Not to mention you can smoke em in 4 gears..

Hey, I never said the setup is attractive, but functions good especially on a budget.

BTW, I was the only domestic vehicle at this last event in Tucson.. I know some of you live locally, you should attend the next one. Only $75 to participate - far cheaper than a reckless driving ticket on the streets for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456