When do you consider a purchase offer to be offensive?

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to be successful in my efforts to sell my 2001 ACR. I won't disclose the price of the sale, however as stated in the ad, it was in mint perfect condition, completley original, and babied with only 1,500 miles on it. It's a no-excuse car.

A VCA member e-mailed me asking if I would take $49,000. I decided the best course of action was not to respond at all. Would you consider this to be such an offensive offer that you would feel compelled to respond?

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you sold it for 55K or more then you were lucky. I think that everybody wants to get the best price. I would respond that the price would have to be higher. Who knows maybe he would have bought it.
It is not like he offered you 30K.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't take offense to it. Some people sell their car because they are in dire straights and need cash. It can't hurt to at least try to low ball somebody in hopes that they will bite because they need the cash now.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt be a snob about it. Give him a counter offer. Cant blame him for starting low. The car isnt worth a whole lot more than that.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No big deal, so don't worry about it. Maybe the one who offered you $49k could only afford that and was hoping you were the 1 in 100 that would sell it for that!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you think that you can ask us to come down on some guy for opening with $49k when you think we don't need to know for what price you sold your car?

The price you received for you car and the condition it was in, would be useful information for others in the market to buy or sell.
But would you help those folks? No, you won't. You probably think it's none of our business. Perhaps the guy who made the $49k offer thinks that his offer was none of our business.

You already sold the car and here you are telling us that one of the offers you received was offensive? What a load.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Frank,
What was your asking price?
I sometimes try to "lowball" people when buying something....If you dont ask you cant get it for a deal....
Then other times I am too embarrased to do a lowball offer...Then I kick myself when I find out it sold for cheap.
I wouldnt take offense.....Haggling is part of the deal.....
Cheers,

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the ad?
-----------------------------------------------------------
My personal car, it has been meticulously maintained in Arizona throughout its life and is in perfect mechanical condition. It has 1,500 original miles, most of which were driven on the interstate between Tucson and Phoenix. The car has never been bumped, bruised, or scraped. The car is solid yellow with no stripes and is protected with many coats of Zaino poilish/wax. The original MSRP on the car was $87,100. I have all of the original paperwork, including a photo journal of the car on the production assembly line. It also comes with the ACR shock absorber manual and special tool. An extended warranty can be purchased by the new owner any time up until August 2004. I realize the market is soft, so I will seriously consider any reasonable cash offer. No trades, please. You may contact me by e-mail or my cell phone at 520-906-6844.
------------------------------------------------------------

I think the comment... "I realize the market is soft, so I will consider any reasonable cash offer." ...led to what I consider to be a low ball offer. I would never respond to an ad without a price listed. I think asking a price and then saying "firm" would have saved you from this indignity.
Your exposure here as a comp coupe owner may have also led a buyer to think that you had more money than brains. Those of us who know you here know that could not be further from the truth. Unfortunately for the bidder those who really have it know what it's worth. Having said all that, I would have countered the guy just to see what he would do. If the guy knew you personally than I would take it as an insult, otherwise, business as usual.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it depends on when and how the offer was made.

If the offer occured right after you listed the car AND you stated the price was firm AND the buyer had never even seen the car, then you have a right to be upset. They were simply trying to take advantage of you. Shame on them.

If the offer occured after the car had been listed for some time AND you stated the price was negotiable AND the buyer had seen the car, then the buyer is right to consider a lower offer legitimate. That's supply and demand. Put it behind you.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
usually in my real estate dealings if somebody comes in w/ a very low ball offer i will generally counter w/ an offer of very minimal reduction. if asking 60k and they offer 49k i will counter at 59k and see where we go. it does take two to tango and you cant blame the guy for trying.