Where do I get brake deflectors?

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In preparation for my first track event, I want to pick up some brake air deflectors. I have seen people post here that they paid very low (and very high) amounts for these things. Can anyone recommend where to get them inexpensively?
Also, I'll need some advice about installing them. Cable ties? I am planning to put them on both front and rear based on a post I saw from Bill Pemberton.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered some from Dilusi with billit aluminum brackets. Nice setup and inexpensive. I can pm you more info.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are talking bout the Porsche ducts I got them from Bill. I would also recommend changing the fluid to Brakeman.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I can't recommend those deflectors. Maybe it has to do with driving style, some folks do well with them. I think GTSDean uses them and he's fast. I think I get more air with some $7 air inlet ducts from Discount Auto, Pep Boys, etc.

OP
OP
C

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I have written Sean, but Chuck, can you be more specific about what you're talking about? Like what the parts are, where you would attach them, etc.? Whatever I put on there will have to be removable for street use, since my understanding is that these things have lower ground clearance than the front fascia.
Diablo -- I use Motul 600. Do you think Brakeman is better and if so, why?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, have you tracked yet? For your first event hi-temp brake fluid would probably be all you need. But if your going to do a few events each year then I would add two piece rotors, steel braided lines and some kind of duct work.

The ducts I use are 3 1/4 Air Inlet Hoses that can be gotten anywhere for about $7. Just pick a logical path to route them from the lower front to the center of the rotor. I use plastic ties to hold them. Go off-road and you're gonna tear them up but at $7 it's no great loss.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chuck,

I will respectfully disagree, as the Porsche Deflectors ( which Woodhouse designed years ago ) work great for beginning drivers. The next step , which
involves cutting into the radiator frame supports and putting in duct work, is usually not necessary until one begins to go pretty fast! I don't recommend
large expenditures to anyone until they determine their level of involvement. Upgrading to a high temp fluid is very important,and we have had
phenomenal luck with BrakeMan's new Xtreme 6 ( which is close to the equivalent of SRF but a ton less, price wise ). We have Porsche Deflectors in
stock, just ask Nancy Shanno ( Viper Access. Mgr. ) for the VCA discount - 1-800-889-1893.

OP
OP
C

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tracked before in my (former) Z06 Corvette, but this will be the first time out in the Viper. I do not anticipate going super-fast; this is a Porsche Club Driver's Education event on the new Barber Track in Alabama, so I think most people will be taking it easy on an unfamiliar track.
I strongly suspect that putting in Motul (or the new Brakeman stuff) would be sufficient, especially since I plan to bleed the brakes between day 1 and day 2 of the event. Nevertheless, the Porsche deflectors are cheap (as are Chuck's hoses), and if they add to the safety factor, I want to use them.
Bill -- I think I saw a post from you a while back that people with ABS were using deflectors on both front and rear wheels because the ABS cars develop more heat in the rear wheels -- do you still recommend this?
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

I will respectfully disagree, as the Porsche Deflectors

No problem Bill. I agree that many people use them with good results. It just didn't happen for me. However the deflectors pictured are nothing like the ones I had.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't fart around on any thing but the Cone cooling kit. Just had that installed on my Viper and it has cut the brake wear down at least half. Maybe even more. If I just use two less sets of front pads this year it has paid for itself already. Call Jon B at Partsrack as I believe he has the kits to sell.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill convinced me to buy some deflectors for the rear when I purchased my 02 GTS. When I went to install them, it appeared to me they would do little good. The lower, rear link is at quite an angle, positioning the air deflector to catch air coming off the exhaust pipe (where it exits the side sill). So, I did not install the rear deflectors. I did install the fronts, by simply cable tieing them to the lower control arm. My car is otherwise stock.

I have since ran Sears Point (@1.5 hours total run time) with stock pads and stock fluids. No problems.

I upgraded to Motul 600 and ran Thunderhill (@2 hours total run time), still with stock pads. No problems.