Where/How to mount the IPOD Integration Control Box

cerino2000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I should have my RB1 today and I already received the integration kit. When I took the kit out I discovered that it has a fair sized control box. Where are you guys putting it at? I know the idea is to run the lines out to the glove box but where are you actually putting the control box and how are you mounting it?

Thanks!

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supposedly you can mount it under the radio in the dash, but I had trouble with that. So I just ran the wires into the glovebox and set the controller in there (since I don't use the glovebox for anything else). So now I have the controller and dedicated iPod Nano in there so I never have to open it again. Works pretty well!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for a clean install i mounted the controler above the glove box on the upper right side. I attached it to the large wiring harness with the supplied velcro and wire ties for insurance. I had to cut a small corner off the corner of the glove box so it closed properly but you whould never know by looking at it. I am sure however if you test close the box before mounting it up there, I am sure you can get it to close without cutting the rear of the glove box.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I mounted mine in the same place that Nadar talked about. Unfortunately, there really is no one place for it. Someone also mentioned that they found a spot in the passenger side footwell. It is very cool to control the Ipod from the radio. It does take a moment to "sync up" at first, so be patient the first time you turn it on.

604SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ended up mounting mine in the passenger side footwell, there's a flat metal tubing there and mounted mine withe some relly strong double sided tape. Hard to get inthere to take a pic otherwise I would.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used velcro and mounted it in the glove box. I mounted it vertically against the back side in the glovebox and the wire harness goes out the top and into the center dash.

This way, it is easily accessible in case I have to replace it.

Good luck with you rinstall. The product works really well.

OP
OP
C

cerino2000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hats off to you guys that were able to mount it anywhere other than the glovebox!!! I am used to tight spaces on cars but man there is no room!!

I did a couple of things at the same time. I put the RP1 NAV in, added the IPOD Interface, and hardwired in a sirius receiver, not the factory one, but a handheld. Here's a couple of pics:

Here is the where I wound up putting my IPOD interface. Seemed simple enough, after look elsewhere, to use the velcro and put it right in the glove box as shown below. Not pretty when open but how often is it open:

You must be registered for see images

Another chore was dealing with the NAV antenna and the sirius antennas. As others have mentioned, the signals will go through plastic and fiberglass. I know others have mentioned putting them on top of the center vents but I didn't really feel those rounded vents would give me a good contact patch since they are not flat. There is a square bar way back behind the vents that does have a flat surface. No way in hell to get a hand back there so I broke out the mechanical fingers and eased both the Sirius Antenna and the NAV antenna onto that bar. Double sided tape holds them well and the signals are great. One thing you do lose when putting your antennas under like that is a little bit of signal clarity depending on where your car is aiming. I am pretty sure that the satellite for Sirius is in western sky. Yesterday when heading east and under some overhead trees, the signal was lost for a few seconds and had to be re-acquired. In comparison, I drove my truck down the exact same stretch of road later and lost no signal at all. It's antenna is actually factory mounted high on the windshield.

Here is a pic of the antennas in place...as best I could get with the camera anyways:

Here's a better pic of just the NAV antenna. The Sirius antenna is to the left of it but the space is so cramped you just cant get it in the shot.

Lastly was my hardwired Sirius install. The whole point of all of this with the IPOD interface was so I could have that aux in jack and be able to play Sirius through a hardwired connection to the head unit. The factory pieces are very expensive and I felt the Ipod interface was a better route since I can also put anything else I like through that aux in jack. I am not a fan of Ipod but may have another portable MP3 player. Another goal I wanted was for everything to be hidden. For the sirius unit, I created a trim plate that fits rather well in the center console. I snaked all of the cables and wiring back there so all of the wiring is hidden and it actually looks pretty good. You do have to open the center console to change the channels but I don't really do that too often. It was a matter of compromise vs cost and this is what I came up with. I snaked a 6ft stereo wire from the center console up to the glove box. It is very difficult to find one with L style ends on it. I had one with standard straight ends as shown in the pic below. Had I had one with L shaped ends that wiring would have been even cleaner. For power I tapped into the power adaptor near the parking brake because it is switched on and off with the key. With this setup, the receiver comes on and off with the car vs me having to unplug it. At one end of the power is the taps into the supply near the parking brake. At the other end I attached a cigarette lighter style power supply and plugged the factory sirius box into it. All of the wiring tucks away hidden behind the trim plate I made.

Here is a pic of the sirius unit installed. A little brighter than in real life due to the flash but you get the point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302