Where's the video of the '10 Nurburgring run???

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long did it take the first time Dodge got the record?? I have no idea. Did the same thing happen or did it take weeks before anybody had any numbers?

The 7:22 run by driver Tom Coronel was done on Aug. 18, 2008. Video was out on Aug. 28th, so a ten day span.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last ring video got ripped to shreads on the boards, as the driver kept bumping up against the rev limiter in 4th, instead of shifting to the ultra long 5th gear.

Dodge took note, and changed this gear in 10' to set things up for this better run. Also has gotten lots of feed back from Ralph's time in the car, as well as from the SRT engineers that have taken this latest model to track all over the place. Track record have been set at lots of these events with this latest ACR.

The latest prototype transmissions have gone even a step further, with shorter ratios in both 5th and 6th. Dodge's constant improvement efforts resulted in this latest ring triumph, and I would expect even more to come as the years go by.

P.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah whats the hurry???? The video will look the same as the last one... just a little shorter.

Now THAT is Funny !

[ We are VERY proud of our 'Ring and Laguna record decals, since 2008......many hundreds given away to share the passion, and provoke conversation around the Viper world. Labor of love, not profit.]

I like PHawkers idea THREE-PEAT: Be ready to swap the 7:12.1 Time-line for the G-5s in a bit.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think Chris said it very succinctly , as I can imagine with the new status of SRT and with Ralph in charge , it would have been more appropriate to confer with Ralph and do a big splash with the info. Since Ralph was running Targa Newfoundland some delay may have been caused by courtesy towards the boss. Common sense tells us that because it was leaked , all preplanned marketing and ideas had to be redone , so that alone could also have delayed the video. With the folks in charge now, I would expect this video to be a cut above and I am sure the anticipated wait will be worth it, IMHO.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My money is on the delay being caused by marketing geeks who are obsessing over things that no potential purchaser of a Viper cares about. How long can it take to edit seven minutes and twelve seconds of video in the case of the ACR and even less for the ACRX? Get the mean, lean version out already. If the geeks want something prettier which includes the background on the Ring effort, let them obsess all they want and release it later. JM2Cs.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no secrets at the 'Ring, it's monitored everyday by guys with cameras watching for exactly that.
Surely they didn't think a new run was going to be kept under wraps.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
There's no secrets at the 'Ring, it's monitored everyday by guys with cameras watching for exactly that.

Apparently so.

On another note, Tomball/Viper Exchange have a Dealer Special Edition car that actually means something to people. And not just Viper people. Kudos to them for leading the way.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guys with cameras rarely carry a stopwatch as there is no way to time a lap unless you have access to the start/finish lines - which they do not. Nor do they know which are factory cars making runs at the record, as most are practiced during "tourist" hours or club events. We suspect that one of the reasons there were "spy" photographers around this time because it was during the Frankfurt Auto Show - one of the largest in the world. Many of them were in Germany for the auto show and a few probably decided to wander over to Nürburg to check it out. Given that the Viper ACR held the top spot for almost three years, it would be a long time to camp out at the track hoping that you would see (but not time) another production car record attempt.

As mentioned previously there are live web cams at the track as it is, so knowing what is running is generally pretty easy. Getting the times down to the tenth (or 100th) of a second is something entirely different. No diss towards anybody - just pointing out how the track is set up. VIPER magazine will have a nice article about how all that works, when and where the "spy" photographers hang out (same place anybody can on any given day), and how the laps are timed. No worries, the video(s) will come out long before that. :D

And Bob, getting everything synchronized is part of the process - lest all the geeks disassemble the video and proclaim it "bad" because the timer started a tenth of a second late or the lateral G's/downforce graphics were off from the actual direction of the car. Now a plain ol' video would be a piece of cake - and be dismissed by the critics in a matter of seconds. Your patience will be paid off soon...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
While we're waiting, take a look at this funky old Ring video from 1962. No Armco barriers, just trees. The race car is obviously just doing casual laps for the camera car, so don't think it's dog *** slow, it's just a documentary. It had 645 hp way back in 1937. (gross hp rating, probably, but "still", ya know?) Der Fuerer was goose-stepping all over Poland when this car was dominating the racing scene. Despite the politics, it was an awesome machine, untouchable by it's peers. Kinda like Audi today, in Le Mans competition. Or Red Bull in F1, although that ownership is Austrian.

Graham Hill gives almost a turn-by-turn analysis of the track. While modern turn-by-turn guides are available elsewhere, I liked the "old-timey" perspective on line, and car control. Retro cool. They start out on the GP track, which is connected to the Nordshliefe for certain events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkZwGa50eqM

Last edited:

JnJ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great video Vic! Greatly enjoyed Graham Hills commentary.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome video find, thanks for posting. A bunch of power with crappy brakes and no meat on the pavement... drivers really took their lives in their own hands. Cool videography for 1962!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
i'm glad you guys enjoyed it.