Which brake spanners to buy?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, need some advice, Im putting all the pieces in place to change out my OEM brake lines. I have ordered the hard line adaptors from Mark at Ipsco and am going to use new stainless steel brake lines to the caliper.

Now the brake line nuts seem to be stuck fast and also the bleed ******* in the caliper! I dont want to round off the nuts using a normal open ended spanner, so what do you guys recommend? Am I right in thinking the nuts are imperial 3/8ths? I want to make sure I get a good quality spanner
Thanks Mark.

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Spanner is English for wrench. Not sure of size but buy the best quality available, it will save you a headache in the long run.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark

There are wrenches (spanners) out there called "tubing" wrenches. What there are is a box end wrench that has a slot cut into the wrench end just big enough to allow the tube to pass through. Even with with the small slot it still allows for more wrench contact with the nut than a regular open end wrench would.

In the past when I have had problems with stubborn nuts and bleed screws, I have used a penetrating oil and a heat source to loosen things up.

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, Yes I meant Wrenches, So I need to get Flare or Tubing wrenches correct? I have looked around on the UK websites and been to a couple of automotive stores in the UK today but all they have are Metric sets? Is that correct or do I need Imperial sizes?

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get both at Sears. Cheap too. You could order them over the internet if no Sears in the UK. Check under Craftsman tools.

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woohoo, sorted :) OK got the caliper off the car, mounted it in a Vice as per the workshop manual. The bleed ******* require a 7/16 ring wrench :) The bridging hard line at the base of the caliper requires a 10mm wrench. The nuts on the end of the hard lines to the union of the flexible rubber lines is 3/8ths I Managed to get them all undone today :1up:

Im going to put on the car a self bleeding Brake fluid recycle system as used in NASCAR The system Snake oyl sells. I will take some pics as I assemble it on the car :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21