Which car to buy? new '08 or '06 w/ Paxton

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drove my brother's '08 Z06 this past Sunday and am now leaning back towards a Viper. The car was nice but gets no attention like my Vipers did.

Now the hard part, I can buy a NEW '08 coupe in venom red w/ white stripes (MSRP roughly $92,000) - my buy price is $81,500 - car has under 20 miles on it - I am a big Va Tech fan so the paint scheme is growing on me even though I have never been big on the stripe cars

my other viable option is an '06 First Edition blue / white coupe with under 2,000 miles and the Paxton, 3.33's, upgraded exhaust, upgraded Doug Levin ("DLM") tensioner and upgraded DLM heat exchanger - all work was done by Doug and he said car is perfect - price is roughly $69,000 +/- (car is a one-owner with all doc's)

I would like a car to drive maybe once per week to work and drive some in cooler weather at drag strip

a difference of just $12,500 between the two makes for a difficult decision - a 750 HP car is just too cool - but a new 600 HP car with warranty and many Gen 4 factory upgrades (motor, trans, etc.) also has appeal

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your interested i have a 08 Venom Red Roadter (67 total miles thats for sale for 79,000.00 .See Vca Classiyeds )Thanks Joe.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS The car has 5 spokes but does not have stripes .Please feel free to call me at (732)977-7244.

OP
OP
D

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your interested i have a 08 Venom Red Roadter (67 total miles thats for sale for 79,000.00 .See Vca Classiyeds )Thanks Joe.

Thanks but just bought the wife a new '08 Mustang GT convertible - I am just looking at coupes for me

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was in your situation also,i didnt know if i should add a blower to my 06 or get the 08,well im glad i got the 08,imo get the 08 and thats seems like a fair price also.you can always add the belanger system and gain 75 approx hp like others have exprienced.eitheir way you will be a winner,best of luck.

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imo I would go with the 08 it always makes me wonder why someone would
spend the money to do mods then sell it after two years and 2000 miles. Also
the 08 has many upgrades, however if you are looking at having it for a
long time I think the First edition's will be worth something in the
long run. Good Luck!

OP
OP
D

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Imo I would go with the 08 it always makes me wonder why someone would
spend the money to do mods then sell it after two years and 2000 miles. Also
the 08 has many upgrades, however if you are looking at having it for a
long time I think the First edition's will be worth something in the
long run. Good Luck!

I usually only keep my cars for 1 to 2 years so I would probably lose less money on the '06 (I assume)

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No brainer..take the 06'.... No matter how good of a deal you get on a 2008. Its always going to be worth less, the day after you buy it. Where as an FE 2006 has already taken a huge depreciation hit, and is a 1 of 200 car to boot..

OP
OP
D

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No brainer..take the 06'.... No matter how good of a deal you get on a 2008. Its always going to be worth less, the day after you buy it. Where as an FE 2006 has already taken a huge depreciation hit, and is a 1 of 200 car to boot..

I am a cheap accountant so I definitely appreciate that the '06 has already fallen quite a bit and this one has very nice upgrades and low mileage - leaning towards the '06 right now

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its pretty stupid to buy a viper then supercharge it and sell it with only 2000 miles on it. Buy the supercharged car with 150 horsepower more, for less money, and lose less money on depreciation.

Last edited:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was in the same position.. I was torn between a "like new" 2006, and a "brand new" 2008.. I could have had either one.. Chose the 2006 Simply because there was no color combo that excited me, the way the VOI9 did... The FE or VCA 2006 would be my 2nd choice for sure. Call me whatever you want, but 500,600 horse.. It really doesn't matter to me. They are both fast cars. Andwith the blower, Im sure it will run way harder than a stock 2008..

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the 2008 Viper,I have a Black Coupe and love it.No Issues at all.D D is a C6 Z06,very nice,but not a Viper.You will like the improvements on the 2008.

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Money wise...the 06 with mods is a MUCH better choice. :drive:

But then again, logic does not usually apply to a Viper purchase. Stop thinking about it and get what makes you happy!:2tu::headbang::2tu:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid that $69K price for my '06 FE and it was bone stock. I'd loved to have gotten the Paxton and exhaust included in that price. The blue/white Viper is still the most popular look, thanks to the 1996 model.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go with the 06 and add the new 08 hood. :2tu:

THEN CALL ME IN 1-2 YEARS WHEN YOUR READY TO SELL.:D

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a tough decision - find the opportunity to drive both before making the final decision. Pay attention to your first instincts when driving without overanalyzing afterwards.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No doubt....the 06 with the S/C and upgrades.....will be faster than the 08, and if you put on Eibachs the handling will be the same or better......no brianer as-far-as I'm concerned.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having had many vettes and z06 although not C6 - no comparison to a Viper ... Vipers are rare and their performances is pure and raw.
Having had an 06 SRT10 supercharged and now an 08 - get 08 (better mileage, dual cam, lots of improvements ... there really is no comparison sorry) and belangers when you get a chance.
Having Venom Red with White - that is the best combo for venom red and it is gorgeous gets more looks than our previous vipers including our black one. It is a cranberry candy apple red that changes in the different shades of light - and the white highlights it nicely. You'll never regret it or turn back imho!

btw: read this Wimps (& Z06s) Step Aside: Driving the 2009 Dodge Viper ACR | Car News Blog at Motor Trend

and you truly get ~92-95% or more with your 08 especially if you change your gears. It is time to live and not regret!

Last edited:

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
08.....belanger and motons all the way...plus u'll avoid the headaches of the paxton
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...18-groaning-moaning-noise-idle-any-ideas.html

Heck, the '08's have a lot of new car problems also! :rolleyes:

Paxton rocks. Power on tap, and even with 3.55's, I can still get just over 20mpg on the highway! '08's are AWESOME...but for the price difference and extra power over the '08 (without having to spend more on the '08), you can't go wrong. :headbang:

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive:

Coming from experience, I would really quiz the guy who is selling the car so soon after all of the upgrades? I know first hand after supercharging, that there a lot of heat and drivability issues, not to mention smog and warranty issues. That is why I built a brand new N/A motor, with 600hp, instead of the 700 hundred I had with the S/C. If the guy's story pans out, then it is definitely cheaper to go with his mods, rather than buying the 08, if you are the type that is inclined to do mods. Then again, I noticed with 700 hp, it was not always easy to hook up with the tires, and my 600 hp car seems more fun to drive. Check out my car in the classifieds.

ViperClub Classifieds - STUNNING Sapphire Blue RT/10 - REDUCED! - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask Doug Levin at what mileage the car received the Paxton and other upgrades. You can't go wrong with DLM having done the install. Regarding the low mileage, do not read into to that very much....I only have 2,300 which means some of us have other cars to put miles on......I can tell that with the mods you discribe he spend upwards of 20G on them.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer bone stock vehicles as to modified ones. Depending on what you are looking for in a car is how a decision should be made. Advantages to a new car are Warranty, History and peace of mind. With a used car you get the depreciation value right away and the car has been broken in and most of the bugs worked out.

Good luck with your decision.

Bruce

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had an 06, have an 08 now. The 08 is like an entirely different car, much better in many ways. There's a reason we call it Gen 4. And besides the re flash problem on very early cars there are no problems with the 08.
Put Belangers on the 08 and you will be at 670 horsepower with no supercharger issues.
And I think the 08 will depreciate much less than the 06. The 06's were discounted significantly to the dealer becuse they were not moving because of an overbuild situation. The 08 is sold out and they are not being discounted all that much and they have limited production again, no overbuilding.
If you're getting a decent deal on an 08 I would jump at it.

OP
OP
D

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had an 06, have an 08 now. The 08 is like an entirely different car, much better in many ways. There's a reason we call it Gen 4. And besides the re flash problem on very early cars there are no problems with the 08.
Put Belangers on the 08 and you will be at 670 horsepower with no supercharger issues.
And I think the 08 will depreciate much less than the 06. The 06's were discounted significantly to the dealer becuse they were not moving because of an overbuild situation. The 08 is sold out and they are not being discounted all that much and they have limited production again, no overbuilding.
If you're getting a decent deal on an 08 I would jump at it.

I have been surprised that dealers are already discounting MSRP between $8,000 and $11,000 on '08's - I assume it is a sign of the economy with dealers needing to keep their floorplan interest down at all costs - great time to be a buyer with no trade-in !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4