Which dealerships (specifically) are quoting $500 over invoice

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) Which dealerships (specifically) are quoting $500 over invoice?

I hear many people saying that a reputable dealership is offering them $500 over invoice, but I cant find out which dealerships. Who?

2.) How (specifically) should the contract be worded?

Several posts say to be careful because the terminology used to define MSRP, invoice, sticker, & window sticker can cause for cert. holders to get screwed. Makes sense, so what's the best way to protect our ASSets? How should it be worded? Are there DC contracts made for this, do we get a purchase receipt, get a letter from the dealership? What?

Thanks!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Make sure the contract is worded so that a two year old could understand it!

Make sure there is no ambiguous info, and clearly define any reference to "dealer cost", "invoice", or "MSRP".

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful with the $500 price. There are many dealers quoting that price, and ultimately will never deliver. If you are in it to save rather than get, then be prepared for any unfortunate consequences.

Dolph Williams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered my cars from my local Dodge store!!!!!!
They are just right down the street, they gave me a great price that we both can live with, I KNOW these guys and I KNOW that when my cars come in that I will receive the deal we discussed, if I have ANY problem, they WILL take care of it because I personally know all the guys back in the service area, I KNOW they will deliver what they say, they are Ruston Chrysler/Dodge, they are my home town Dodge boys and they aren't half way across the country from me!!!!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you have a good solid relationship with the dealer there should be no problem. It is those dealers that are NOW targeting how they could get certs through their dealerships. They give you the supposed discount, order the car, car comes in, and dealer says, "BTW there is a price adjustment". This HAS happened before, so again buyer beware. If saving money is your motivation don't be surprised if a scenario like this pops up.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Joe is saying, is this...

Let's say the dealer writes up a deal for "Sticker price". The car comes in, you go to get it, and there is a window sticker that has a line item called "Market adjustment" with a $20,000 price tag on it. The dealer points to the contract, says "sorry, this is the sticker price" and there you go. He tells you that you can either take it or leave it.

So, if they say "MSRP", make SURE that means MSRP from Dodge. If it says "$X over invoice", make sure invoice is defined (is it the price published on sites like carpoint.com? Is it what the dealer has in his books as invoice? is it the # that Dodge actually bills the dealer? Does it include holdback? Storage fees? Marketing fees? etc, etc, etc.

If you are not going with a dealer that is well known, and trusted, make sure you get all of this CLEARLY spelled out, or take your business elsewhere. I strongly support Steve on this matter - support the dealers who support the VCA and who have been there for us in the past. If you DO have a relationship with a trusted local dealer, then by all means go with them.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks Mike!

You're right on the money! Remember, the dealer will not be able to order an SRT-10.... and when YOURS arrives, there will probably be a flock of impulse buyers following the Reliable truck. Offers could possibly be flying of incredible profit - and the word "profit" is where some unscrupulous dealers may try to "flex" their creative muscles.

Stick with the dealers that you know, and trust! They are the ones that will surely realize that your long term business, and the goodwill generated will outlive, and outperform any spontaneous greed factor influences.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to illustrate Joe's point, and as sort of an aside...

In 1998 when I was looking for a GTS, everyone said "WOODHOUSE!" I called and talked to Bob Woodhouse. He flat out told me he could NOT get me a silver GTS, because all his allocation was sold, and pointed me in the direction of a few dealers that COULD get me one.

He called me on the way to deliver Steve Wayne's silver GTS to let me know it was a BEAUTIFUL color, and if I did indeed want silver, that he'd advise me to hold out to get a silver car (knowing he could not provide said car).

Looking at Prowlers in the first year for my girlfriend, I again called Woodhouse and he said he was selling them for MSRP, when local guys wanted up to $50k over MSRP.

And here we are, in 2002. I am buying another Viper. I did not even CONSIDER going with anyone else, and I know I will have ZERO problems with Woodhouse.

So, dealers not screwing people over DOES pay off. Woodhouse is, I believe, #1 in the USA right now, and with all due respect to the mediocre state of Nebraska
smile.gif
, it ain't cause of their location - it's because of service, before and after the sale.

Enough blabbering
smile.gif

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered mine from Northglenn Dodge in Denver for $500 over invoice.They have a great tech there and they are very reliable. Dave Fitzgerald the owner is a upright guy. The manager is TJ and will bust his butt to help you.

Reaction score
There are several dealers in N. CA. who will write up a good deal. The N.CA. VCA has contacted some local dealers and some dealers have contacted us to solicit orders from certificate holders.
Maurice confirmed the deals and a message (e-mail) was sent to all members, if we had their e-mail address. The dealer that has the best service dept is getting a lot of business and his deal is not the lowest. But because of his service he is getting orders, in the double digits as of last Friday. Service is very important and I feel that we should support dealers who have supported the VCA and Viper owners.

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a particular dealer offers 500 over invoice and most people go there, then doesnt that mean a longer wait to get the car? I am not sure how this works but can any particular dealer order as many cars as they have certificates for? So, theoretically if every certificate went through Woodhouse then every production 2003 would get delivered to Woodhouse OR does it become a waiting list and once the allocation is filled then certificate holders wait for Woodhouse's next allocation? Does this make sense?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any Dodge dealer can order a SRT/10 with the certificate. The issue you need to be aware of is that once the car is delivered to the dealer, it becomes the DEALERS property. At that point, it is up to the dealer to then sell it to you at the agreed price. The warning is to NOT make this a price issue, but rather a Dealer issue. Go with a dealer that will sell you the car at the agreed upon price. There are many here right on this site, and plenty of trustworthy ones all over the place. But if a dealer, that has never in the past, starts to give out a low ball price to get you in the door, you have to question his motivation. Is he doing it so you order the car from him, only then to turn around and sell it at a premium to someone else? This WILL happen. The only control you have is to purchase from a dealer you can trust.

Currently, there are dealer advertising the sale of 2003 Viper's at a premium price. I am not at liberty to disclose who they are, but some of these dealers are the ones offering this ridiculously low pricing.

You have been warned.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question, If by chance a cert holder decided to cancel out on the deal before the car is built (at the time of price announcement for instance) does the dealer still receive the car? If the dealer would not get the car after cancellation it would seem to be an excellent time to make sure you have the final price in writing. That would be in numbers and not using something debatable like "invoice."

Thoughts?

Ron

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard, I have seen many Vipers delivered, and the best BY FAR, is from that dealer that told you about the extra work they put into getting the paint perfect. Have you ever seen one of their Viper's delivered? I wouldn't bash it until you see it.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can put me down as a big believer in Woodhouse too! I had originally ordered a car from them, then changed my mind several months later. They refunded my deposit with no questions asked. They are totally straight. Bill Pemberton is the best. Ask for him when you call. I wish they were in Florida and I'd never buy anywhere else.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have dealt with Woodhouse for a long time also and have ALWAYS been serviced honestly and with the utmost respect. Do to their excellent service we have ordered our GT40's from them. The distance is well worth the buying experience they offer.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a matter of HEARING it but rather SEEING it.

The point of this post is about dealers, and the one you are going with has been a long time supporter of the VCA, and it's great that you are getting your Viper from them. I have purchased cars from both of these dealers, and would have no problem buying from either one of them again. I guess my point is that you might want to do the same before you put one above the other.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard, please do NOT change your dealership. I have never told you to do so. The guys you are buying from have been one of the premier Viper dealers I have spoken of many times. They do a great job, as do many other "Viper Friendly" dealers. I comments are for those that are going to dealers that all of a sudden would like to participate in the new Viper offering. It is THOSE dealerships that I have concerns with. I do not want to see CLUB members get taken advantage of, and if it is going to happen, you can look right at this new "cheap" group as the most likely candidates.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To illustrate Steves point, how many of you certificate holders have dealers coming out of the woodwork sending you mailers?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte