Which exhaust system is best?

Jack

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This has probably been discussed to death, but I couldn't find much in the archives, and I'm a new owner. I want to leave the stock manifolds intact - just change out the muffler or system, looking for better sound but not enough to go deaf on a 600 mile trip. I had Corsas on my Vette and wasn't crazy about the sound. I've heard good comments about B&B, and Belanger seems to be a popular choice. With Borlas, quality seemed to be a problem, at least for the Corvette systems. Thanks for any comments.

Jack Janney
'97 RT-10

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both TNT and Hennessey offer excellent exhaust options. Both sound great and make power. Sound is a matter of taste, though. IMHO, my car still too quiet and it has TNT headers, exhaust (muffler delete) and Sean Roe high flow cats. Prashant Patel has the Hennessey products like mine except deleted cats and it sound wonderful.
Good luck.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call JonB at Parts Rack. He has heard them all and sells most of them...

I love my Borla cat back system. Perfect fit. Very high quality.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're going for good sound consider the Corsa.Listen to it at their web site.Sounds better in person.Quiet at cruise.Love my 3" system.Think its the best I have heard on a Viper. Bruce

boosttoy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also am in the market to replace cat back at the present time.I have a 97 gts.Has anyone ever had the resonators and rear muffler cut out and replaced with straight stainless?How did it sound? Was it to loud ect?Seems like a inexpensive way to get a little more power and sound untill i figure out which system i want.Bad idea or good idea?All input appreciated.I found a guy with a new 3 inch corsa for 1049.00 that he decided not to use.
Would this be my best choice for the money?
Thanks, Frank

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BWoodbury:
Call JonB at Parts Rack. He has heard them all and sells most of them... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank........ My AOL today means America OFF line, as I cannot send mail today!

So, I could not send you some comparative info as BW kindly suggested. I hope you will call me to discuss the + /- of each, and your performance and sound goals, and any planned mods.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BOOSTTOY,

I tried the cut/paste technique on my exhaust to save a few bucks, and ended up spending way more than I thought. Everything I tried with the stock setup (Removal of cats/mufflers/etc...), just sounded louder, not better - actually worse. The only way I could describe the sound would be a Honda Civic with a loud muffler - I hated it!! I finally decided to shell out the bucks for a Corsa system, and love it!!! Not to loud, not to soft. Much quiter at cruising speeds, and reduced resonance in the interior (almost nonexistent). I also have a set of High Flow cats from Sean Roe. I paid $750 for a used system (1 month old) from Jon B. at Parts Rack - 2.5 inch. From my understanding, the 3 inch sounds very simular - a little deeper and a little louder. For just over a grand, I would say get the 3' system and don't look back. Also, if you don't have access to a lift, do yourself a favor and let a professional perform the job. A supposedly 2-4 hour installation took all weekend for me and my jackstands!! It is not as easy as you think (it never is), unless you have a lift, torch, reciprocating saw, etc...

P.S. - Corsa's website does a good job of depicting the sound. To me, it has a very exotic sound when on throttle, but a deep muscular sound at idle. You can barely hear the exhaust on the stock system when idling - which always p*ssed me off. Good Luck!!!

P.S.S. - If you delete the cats, expect the sound to change. My system actually sounded much better with the cats on. Don't know why???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc