Which Exhaust System to Buy for my 02 Viper?

PJS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking in doing some modifications on my new 2002 RT/10 Viper

The usual popular first items:
K&N Filters
Smooth Tubes

And the exhaust system

The question is which system to buy>> Borla or Corsa and do the Cats need to be changed to the bigger 3 inch ones? Jon @ Parts Rack told me I should put the bigger Cats to improve performance and cut the heat down by 100 degrees for the stocks ones soon will cause my sill plates to fade in color from all the heat. Then I had another Viper buff tell me not to put bigger cats for the 01 & 02 Vipers need the back pressure to make there torque & horsepower. Now I am confused?

Any guys out there with 01 or 02 Vipers that have the exhaust done all ready? What is your take on this? Don't want to buy the wrong exhaust system.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Love my Viper and All the new friends I have made in the Viper world and of this website.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked my brother In law about this(Mech engineer that designs platforms to pump oil or gas or other stuff).He says as long as the engine doesn't run too lean that there is no detriment to having no back pressure other than a few more HP and Lb/FT.I have a Corsa 3" cat back.Nice sound but not enough for me.Currently installing CDI headers and going cat-less.Will install sims for rear 02 sensors.I don't have to pass a sniff test and decided not to waste any cash on cats.My car running without cats will make as much of an impact on the environment as a fart in a hurricane. Bruce

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yeah, I have 3" pipes and no cats with a straight thru design muffler and sean roe's Simms. My sound is deeper and a lot throatier!

The only one thing I don't like is when it's at WOT and you decelerate..it's a bit rapsy sounding..but other than that..I love it and it's loud like a Viper should be. next will be headers, but not sure which to buy. I heard TNT's were good and look nice too.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PJS,

I've got Belanger(Headers & Catbacks) and I love the performance and sound. Speak with JonB and ask him how he had mine done(opened up the stock cats..runs cooler and stays stock).

CStegall

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Concur with above. My car picked up 7 RWHP and 10 RWTQ when I went from stock cats to 3" high-flows. My personal vote is for the high-flows and Corsa if you want it loud when you accelerate and quiet when you cruise, and high-flows + Borla if you want it VERY LOUD ALL THE TIME SO HELP YOUR NEIGHBORS!

But that's just me.

FWIW, my DLM stage III car will have 3" high-flows and the Corsa exhaust.