Which gears at 550rwhp??

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.55s combined with taller drag radials will reduce your effective ratio down into the 3.33-3.45 range depending which DR you use.

OP
OP
L

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the NITTO DR's now. 335/30 ZR18. I currently have 3.55's and I'm thinking about going back to stock for a longer pull in each gear, especially 4th.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really depends on your combo. Are you blown or N/A, your shift points etc. I'm N/A at 585 RWHP and going through the traps at approx. 130mph @ 6000rpm. My next tire will be taller to effectively reduce my my numerical ratio. I'm just looking for a couple of miles per hour through the traps, all else I think it's perfect at this given level.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A quiick check shows Landman's got a Heffner Novi s/c set at about 6 psi , and he's gone [email protected] on the Nittos.

He doesn't want 3.55s, that's for sure.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Roe and about 550HP/620TQ. 8lbs pulley on GEN1.

I had 3.55's, totally worthless and went back to stock gears. Blew the rear end last week and went with the stock again...

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 129.75rpm you're going thru the traps at 5938rpm; actually faster and more rpms than that because of the way your speed is measured. So you're kind maxed out rpm-wise.

At the same speed:

3.45s = 5770rpm

3.33s = 5570rpm

3.07s = 5135 rpm

OP
OP
L

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely going back to stock. I currently hit the traps waiting to hit my rev limiter in 4th.
And FE 065, your search was right on.

The Great One

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Roe and about 550HP/620TQ. 8lbs pulley on GEN1.

I had 3.55's, totally worthless and went back to stock gears. Blew the rear end last week and went with the stock again...

Care to explain a little further about the 3.55s? Is it true that the power drastically falls off once you hit fourth gear?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Care to explain a little further about the 3.55s? Is it true that the power drastically falls off once you hit fourth gear?

Not in my application, fourth pulls harder than any other gear if you can believe that. It's about the complete package, no one gear is perfect for all applications. I'm maxed out in 4th but that's also why the car runs as hard as it does, it's the perfect set up at my given power level with my combo. I can certainly see how the combo may not be optimized for a roots style blower at the same relative power levels.

The Great One

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not in my application, fourth pulls harder than any other gear if you can believe that. It's about the complete package, no one gear is perfect for all applications. I'm maxed out in 4th but that's also why the car runs as hard as it does, it's the perfect set up at my given power level with my combo. I can certainly see how the combo may not be optimized for a roots style blower at the same relative power levels.

What work do you have done to your car?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car slowed down with 355s. Had to shift into another gear just before the finish line with the lower gears and 307s were faster.

Ted

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car slowed down with 355s. Had to shift into another gear just before the finish line with the lower gears and 307s were faster.
Ted

Same problem. My car pulled good 1-4, but on highway rolls I had to throw in 5th and that slowed the car down from its original gears. I tested this against 4 other Vipers (including Ed's wife) and got spanked every time.
Basically IF you stay under 100MPH or inside city limits, 3.55's arent that bad, over 100 the game is over. Regarding 6th becoming usable, yes, but the car cannot pull with that gear well, so it's not much different than stocker.... I know ther are may who love the gears, for me that was my worst spent $1000, I sold the gears only 1 month after installing them. I am VERY happy with stock gears. The TQ what these cars make fits quite well the stock gears. 3.55's you will be forced to throw gears in fast. And dont get me wrong, I like throwing gears in fast....

00VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely going back to stock. I currently hit the traps waiting to hit my rev limiter in 4th.
And FE 065, your search was right on.

I have a set of stock gears for you....just need to swap me your 3.55s. Maybe if you would actually drive you car up to see me we could swap the rears!:drive:

OP
OP
L

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're funny. I have stock gears on their on their way now. I figured with your new addition the gears would be the last thing on your mind. I will have a set of 3.55's sitting around! I'm changing the whole rear, so call me if we need to talk.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With 3.45s my old nat asperated gts ran 11.2 at 132mph on stock pilots.The car with 3.55 ran the same 11.2 but at 130mph.