Which is the best way to explore America?

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm leaving on Tue to go from NYC to San Jose CA. Initially I was going to take I80 trough Chicago, Omaha, Salt Lake City that would be 2965 miles in my Viper.
Do you think that I81 south to I40 is a better route to see the country? I would stop in Nashville, Oklahoma City, Flagstaff and that would be 3187 miles.
Which one would you take and why?

Thanks! :usa:

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you truelly want to see the country stay off the interstates. Stick with the smaller highways. I've driven from Philly, PA to Dallas, TX and can't tell you squat about the country side. Once you're on the interstate every thing pretty much looks the same. Take smaller roads, stop in little towns and search out the hole in the wall restraunts that you'd normally avoid like the plage and eat there.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the Boston to Vegas as follows via the scenic route and visiting national parks along the way to VOI5 :-

Boston -> NYC -> Shenendoah -> Blue Ridge Parkway -> Smokies -> Nashville -> Memphis -> Dallas -> Carlsbad -> The Grand Circle in New Mexico/Arizona/Utah/Colorado (Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Arches, Mesa Verde, and many more) -> Death Valley -> Yosemite -> SF -> LA -> San Diego and finally Las Vegas to VOI 5.

6500 miles in 21 days and one heck of a memorable journey. The grand circle is beautiful. This was early April and there was still snow on the ground in some places hence the southerly route.

One day I plan to take a long trip covering all the parks in the lower 48. It will probably take 3 months and around 15000 miles.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given your time constraints I would suggest interstate most of the way with some side trips onto local roads to pick up interest. I agree with DarcShadow, the best way to see the country is off the beaten path.

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll warn ya, if you take the I-40 you will get REALLY tired of being in Tenn. Use to drive that route all the time going home to visit (MD to AR) and it ***** after a while. The northen route is much better IMO.

CAVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The I40 is a pretty boring drive from Texas to CA not much going on. If you take the northern route check out Harold Warps Pioneer village in Nebraska there will be signs everywhere for hundreds of miles it is a really cool place this guy collected everything from cars to china plates you will be amazed!

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way to see anywhere is with a local as your guide.

I suggest you blast along the interstate, meeting up with Viper faithful along the way. Spend a few hours really seeing their local area, then back on the interstate to your next visit.

You won't see the whole country this way, but you will get a good taste for parts of it, and it fits with your schedule.

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't see anything else, at least stop at the Grand Canyon if you haven't already seen it. Would make a beautiful backdrop to yer car for a great picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery