Which replacement unit to play MP3s in my 01 RT/10?

Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a _SIMPLE_ plug and play replacement unit for the stock FM/CD player I have in my 01 RT/10.

I am told there's issues with connectors: my understanding is that there is a proprietary DIN connector between the head unit and the amp in the trunk.

So in my quest for a _SIMPLE_ (I emphasize it again in case folks feel compelled to suggest a "tear it all apart and rebuild a fabulous audio system for just a couple of grands" solution :) replacement for a the stock unit, should I be looking at units that provide the same DIN output?

If so, which one are they? I went to many stores, couldn't find any: they all seem to come with the RCA outputs.

I'm not looking for better audio quality. I know the stock quality *****, but in a RT/10, with headers and Borla... there's no point in investing in great stereo quality IMHO. All I want is to carry less CDs around (it's not like I have tons of space to spare ;-)

Pointers/Help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

-- Greg

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well it looks like Im the first one to reply so Ill give you the bad news. There no such thing as a "simple" stereo upgrade for the Viper. The wiring is not stock Dodge nor is it the usual Alpine. There is no adapter you can buy that will plug into the 8-pin DIN connector. Nor will the "universal" Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Eagle adapter at Autozone/Pepboys, etc work. I have called Crutchfield, Al & Eds, and other stereo places. Im in the middle of this right now, which is why my AVIC-N1 is still sitting in my closet.

Im not a stero expert but, from my searching this site, the *other* Viper site and Googleing my brains out I have come up with two options:

1. The factory DIN wires are labeled, both on the OEM stereo and the factory amp. You can splice and connect the new stero wiring (Not recommened unless you KNOW what youre doing. Which incidentally, I dont)

2. Spring for a few more bucks and get new speakers. Run new RCA cables from the new head unit to the speakers and bypass the factory amp, or replace the amp. This will sound a LOT better than any other option, especially if you get a new amp.

I am going with option #2, as I am fortunate enough to have a friend who is familiar with Vipers and stereos (THANKS RYAN!). Im planning on leaving the stock wires in place in the off chance I end up selling and want to keep my new AVIC-N1.

Ill make sure to post pics and install info when mine is done. Good luck. Youre gonna need it. ;)

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got an Alpine at Circuit City, and they did a FREE install. It was like $239 plus tax. It works great and also is XM ready. I think they do free install on anything over a hundred bucks.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Refresh my memory... how many speakers are there in a gen2 RT/10? Pair for the doors (6.5s? and tweets, but they aren't component speakers) and a sub somewhere... is that it?

If you absolutely want to keep the original harness intact, then you'll need to make a fields harness to adapt the new connector to the viper harness side. You can pull the wires and pins from a junk car harness (any car) and solder them to the HU harness side. Then just slide the pins into the female side of the viper connector. I've got several harnesses from other cars that I can pull 8 pins from, but I need to know if they're the small type or large type. Get me a pic of the harness side ;)

When you use the new HU, you will loose your factory amp. Most HU's have pre-outs in RCA form, but stockers don't.

Now I know you don't want to spend a ton of money or anything..but I'd go ahead an upgrade the entire system. You don't have to be an audiophile or anything, but just about any speaker will be better than stock. Find a good HU you like. I've got 2 MP3 players left if you are interested. I ended up putting the aiwa in my supra, and a pionner unit in my wifes Jeep. You can drop a pair of pioneer 6.5's in the door for ~60$, they're rated at 35w rms (but since they're driven by the HU, it's only pushing out 20w rms at best). I've got 4 of them in my supra, I like them. I'm not into sound competitions or anything, so I don't go overboard on the stereo setup. They were cheap and available locally.

Now, your amp is going to need replacing, since you can no longer drive it. Power Acustik makes some nice 2-channel amps for not a lot of money, they have crossovers built in. The amp I used was a A520-2HP model. Bridge it, 300w rms to fee your sub. Replace that single sub in the console with something a little nicer. IIRC, it's a 10" sub. Audiobahn 10" sub with 300w rms would sound great.

So, here's what I would do on the cheap for a total upgrade:

Aiwa MP3 head unit ~120$
Your choice of 3-way 6.5's ~70$
Tweeters (if you want them) ~50$
Power Acoustik (A520-2HP) amp ~80$
Audiobahn (AW1051T) 10" sub ~80$

400 bucks for a *huge* gain in sound. May not be the highest end system around, but it would be better than stock. Not bad, I bet you could hear it over the exhaust ;)

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had to make a DIN-to-RCA converter when I put an Pioneer AVIC-N1 CD/DVD/MP3/Navigation system in my '00 RT/10. I can verify that it would seem that the #@*&!@#$& connector is a proprietary Alpine connector, as I was unable to find a matching connector as a stand-alone part. Sooooo... I bought a Alpine extension cable from a local car audio shop for $20 (not packaged, but I didn't care, all I was looking for was that DIN connector), and after about 2 hours of wiring and soldering very *tiny* wires, made a DIN-to-RCA converter. Worked first try.

And, the factory amp and speakers sound a lot better with a different head unit. I've not seen the need to swap them out.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just a suggestion (and you may know this already), but why don't you get a MP3/cd player transmitter (cheap!) and you can just take your portable device into your Viper, tune to the appropriate FM signal, and have your current stereo do the job?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You will need a new amp if you are still using the stock amps.
Explain, please. I swapped out the head unit (and didn't touch the rest of the system) and gained a significant improvement in sound quality, with the original stock amp.

OP
OP
G

Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a suggestion (and you may know this already), but why don't you get a MP3/cd player transmitter (cheap!) and you can just take your portable device into your Viper, tune to the appropriate FM signal, and have your current stereo do the job?

Yes, good idea, thanks! I'm considering this as an option as well... although the poor iPod may end up running out of battery real quick, and I'm already using the battery plug for a radar detector...

Some folks have recommended against this though - they are concerned about poor quality sound (i.e. unwanted noise).

Anybody got this setup? How well does it work?

-- Greg

OP
OP
G

Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Refresh my memory... how many speakers are there in a gen2 RT/10? Pair for the doors (6.5s? and tweets, but they aren't component speakers) and a sub somewhere... is that it?

Yeah 2 on each door + central sub (between the two seats).

If you absolutely want to keep the original harness intact, then you'll need to make a fields harness to adapt the new connector to the viper harness side. You can pull the wires and pins from a junk car harness (any car) and solder them to the HU harness side. Then just slide the pins into the female side of the viper connector. I've got several harnesses from other cars that I can pull 8 pins from, but I need to know if they're the small type or large type. Get me a pic of the harness side ;)

OK! Thanks!
Here's a link to 2 pictures. I hope they're useful.

http://www.smartbear.org:8080/~dorso/private/viper_audio/IMG_3467_small.JPG
http://www.smartbear.org:8080/~dorso/private/viper_audio/IMG_3468_small.JPG

Sorry for the poor quality... this was yesterday night... past midnight in a poorly lit garage. :(

When you use the new HU, you will loose your factory amp. Most HU's have pre-outs in RCA form, but stockers don't.

I'm not sure I understand this. If I have a RCA2DIN adapter, can't I hook up the new HU to the existing harness that will route the RCA pre-amp outputs to my existing amp?
Don't I just need to check the output voltage level on the HU to make sure it's fine with the amp's expected input? (which I don't know what it is btw)

Now I know you don't want to spend a ton of money or anything..but I'd go ahead an upgrade the entire system. You don't have to be an audiophile or anything, but just about any speaker will be better than stock. Find a good HU you like. I've got 2 MP3 players left if you are interested. I ended up putting the aiwa in my supra, and a pionner unit in my wifes Jeep. You can drop a pair of pioneer 6.5's in the door for ~60$, they're rated at 35w rms (but since they're driven by the HU, it's only pushing out 20w rms at best). I've got 4 of them in my supra, I like them. I'm not into sound competitions or anything, so I don't go overboard on the stereo setup. They were cheap and available locally.

Now, your amp is going to need replacing, since you can no longer drive it. Power Acustik makes some nice 2-channel amps for not a lot of money, they have crossovers built in. The amp I used was a A520-2HP model. Bridge it, 300w rms to fee your sub. Replace that single sub in the console with something a little nicer. IIRC, it's a 10" sub. Audiobahn 10" sub with 300w rms would sound great.

So, here's what I would do on the cheap for a total upgrade:

Aiwa MP3 head unit ~120$
Your choice of 3-way 6.5's ~70$
Tweeters (if you want them) ~50$
Power Acoustik (A520-2HP) amp ~80$
Audiobahn (AW1051T) 10" sub ~80$

400 bucks for a *huge* gain in sound. May not be the highest end system around, but it would be better than stock. Not bad, I bet you could hear it over the exhaust ;)

OK, yes this is a slightly more radical approach to what I was planning, but I'll keep it in mind! I guess I can try small steps at a time: new HU... if it doesn't sound good enough, then new amp or new speakers or both...

-- Greg

jibran

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anaconda,

what did they use for harness whne you replaced stock alpine with a new one?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang