Whining sound??

D

dano

Well, it was a nice weekend in Denver for a change so I had to get the '97 GTS out to play.

I put about 150 miles on the car this weekend and this evening when I ran up to the store (any excuse to drive) there was a high-pitched whining sound.

The whine seems to be coming from the passenger side in about the middle of the car. Does not increase with rpms and the radio is off. Car is not running any differently than usual. It is not super loud but noticeable.

I did wash the car at a car wash...low pressure...which isn't the first time and that was this morning before driving around most of the day.

What could this be? :confused:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< The whine seems to be coming from the passenger side in about the middle of the car. Does not increase with rpms and the radio is off. Car is not running any differently than usual. It is not super loud but noticeable. >>

<< What could this be? >>

its called a WIFE. tell her to get out and walk. :D

OP
OP
D

dano

she hates that I love the gts. I can deal with her constant whining...but if the GTS whining...this is serious stuff..

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< The whine seems to be coming from the passenger side in about the middle of the car. Does not increase with rpms and the radio is off. Car is not running any differently than usual. It is not super loud but noticeable. >>

Good advice. Except then said wife files for divorce and takes his Viper and most everything else :buttkick:

OP
OP
D

dano

Tranny sounds?Mine has some whine.Always did. Bruce

Big deal?...anything I should do? Would it whine when parked and not in gear?...it does..

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd give Chuck Tator a call and describe it to him. He is always happy to help a fellow Viper enthusiast.

Out of the blue whines are not good. Could be something very simple...could be something bad. Some of these cars have been known to whine since the day they rolled off the assembly line but a whine that has suddenly surfaced should be considered a problem.

Have you popped your hood and listend to it or walked around the car to identify the exact location? If it does this at idle, you should be able to narrow down the exact suspect area of origin. Sorry for the little help. It is very hard to isolate sounds on these cars. Typically I would be inclinded to lean towards some type of transmission or differential whine, but the sound is not RPM dependent. Could be an exhaust leak or a loose belt.

Is the car stock? What year? Mileage?

OP
OP
D

dano

ok...got out the drop light and isolated where the sound is coming from. It is about even with the rear end (definitely not under the hood). I'm confused...is anything moving in the tranny or rear when parked and at idle? I wouldn't think so....hmmm.

Oh...'97 GTS, 12,200 miles. Rear end gears were switched by original owner for 355's. I did have the rear end cover seal replaced a couple of months back due to a very slow drip. There are no fluid drips anywhere in my garage and I check every time I back out. Other than that...smooth tubes are the only other mod.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok...got out the drop light and isolated where the sound is coming from. It is about even with the rear end (definitely not under the hood). I'm confused...is anything moving in the tranny or rear when parked and at idle? I wouldn't think so....hmmm.

Oh...'97 GTS, 12,200 miles. Rear end gears were switched by original owner for 355's. I did have the rear end cover seal replaced a couple of months back due to a very slow drip. There are no fluid drips anywhere in my garage and I check every time I back out. Other than that...smooth tubes are the only other mod.

Fuel pump ? With the car not running, turn the switch to the on position (without cranking) and the pump will run for a few seconds. See if it is louder than normal.

OP
OP
D

dano

Fuel pump ? With the car not running, turn the switch to the on position (without cranking) and the pump will run for a few seconds. See if it is louder than normal.

Tried this...I don't hear anything...pump...or whine..

OP
OP
D

dano

I'd give Chuck Tator a call and describe it to him. He is always happy to help a fellow Viper enthusiast.

Out of the blue whines are not good. Could be something very simple...could be something bad. Some of these cars have been known to whine since the day they rolled off the assembly line but a whine that has suddenly surfaced should be considered a problem.

Have you popped your hood and listend to it or walked around the car to identify the exact location? If it does this at idle, you should be able to narrow down the exact suspect area of origin. Sorry for the little help. It is very hard to isolate sounds on these cars. Typically I would be inclinded to lean towards some type of transmission or differential whine, but the sound is not RPM dependent. Could be an exhaust leak or a loose belt.

Great advice. I called Chuck and what a super guy. Even though it is Monday morning and I'm sure he is busy he was very nice and helpful. He thinks it is more than likely the fuel pump.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great advice. I called Chuck and what a super guy. Even though it is Monday morning and I'm sure he is busy he was very nice and helpful. He thinks it is more than likely the fuel pump.
I'm not trying to out guess Chuck but you said the sound didn't change with rpm. Should there be some change in the sound if it is fuel pump related.

OP
OP
D

dano

Well...after worrying last night...getting advice from Chuck Tator...pricing the fuel pump ($550 with none in the US currently) and getting a labor quote to replace pump ($370)....the car stopped it's whining : ) on it's own.....hmmmmm.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, AviP, that is normal.

Dano....odd. FYI...you might want to look into buying a used pump from a Viper parts reseller or an owner who has replaced their pump with a high flow unit..Im sure you can source one fairly easily.

Be cautious and keep your ears and eyes open.

OP
OP
D

dano

Yeah, AviP, that is normal.

Dano....odd. FYI...you might want to look into buying a used pump from a Viper parts reseller or an owner who has replaced their pump with a high flow unit..Im sure you can source one fairly easily.

Be cautious and keep your ears and eyes open.

Thanks...I am beyond anal with this car. The car is such a dream to own that I hate getting even a bit of splash on the wheel wells without immediately cleaning. I listen carefully and check for any fluid drips each time I leave the garage.

No wonder my wife hates it so much...oh...I guess telling her that if it comes between her and the Viper....I have the number for U-Haul to pack her things doesn't help. :shocked:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Dan,
It was nice talking with you today! :cool: I was thinking after reading the whine went away, a little bit of frozen water in the pump may make the noise and then go away when it melts? Just a thought? If it's gone, don't worry about it.

OP
OP
D

dano

Thanks Chuck. I appreciated your time and help.

Not sure about frozen water as I had been driving the car off and on all day and car was warm. However, I did use a pressure washer at the car was to spray the inside of the wheel wells earlier in the day....hmmm..

OP
OP
D

dano

Sorry I thought you meant when the car was driving not just standing still! Bruce

No problem...started her again tonight...no whine...

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have found out this particular problem can mostly be cured with an aftermarket cup holder, but not completely! ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte