White smoke on startup 94 RT10 in NZ

Nzviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, my 94 RT-10 has started to bellow white smoke on startup. It only appears to happen on vacuum and will go away once I apply some accelerator. It is not overheating (so far) and there is no coolant mixed in with the oil. It goes away after 30 seconds and drives fine once it stops smoking. I noticed two coolant puddles on either side of the block inline with the front wheels this morning after I drove it yesterday. Could it be the early signs of a blown head gasket? I've read the gen 1 vipers were prone to it. If anyone has suggestions or has experienced a similar thing please let me know. Most mechanics are reluctant to work on the viper in nz because it's not a car they're familiar with!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hello, nzviper...it's been a while.
Sorry for your troubles, but I would suggest that you seize this opportunity to go through your Viper and replace your head gaskets, oil pan gasket, timing chain cover gasket (yes, Gen I's DO occasionally blow out), and all of the other smaller gaskets plus T-stat along the way...and, then enjoy a great car.

if you do decide to go ahead with this, I would strongly recommend that you contact Dan Lesser at Viper Speciality for all of the updated gaskets. Dan is the guy that got Cometic to bring back the tri-metallic head gaskets a about one fourth the retail price charged by Mopar. He also can give you and/or your mechanic all of the Viper specific tips to make the job
both successful and easier.

Best of lick !!

vortec04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like the head gaskets to me. I literally had the exact same scenario happen to me in my 94. Figured the white smoke was just condensation getting evaporated though, until i saw the little green puddles under the motor. Like Steve-Indy said, you might as well change all the gaskets while you're at it. Change to a 170 thermostat at the same time. Hell if i was to do it over again i'd have the heads sent out for porting and probably change to the 708 cam as well. Obviously depends on budget though.

OP
OP
N

Nzviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Steve and vortec, thank you both for your input. I thought I was on the right track. I'll take your advice and call Viper Speciality today and get the preventative maintenance done at the same time. I may do the cam and exhaust :) at this stage it's completely stock