Who has a stock GTS with nitrous?

VIPER006

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey AlvaSpeed,
The fuel inlet of the nozzle has a 22 jet in it for the 150 shot along with the N20 41 jet. My nitrous tech told me we can go with a 20 jet and it would lean it out. Of course, I am fortunate that there are plenty of dynos here; so I can change the pill and check it right away. You should PM me with your e-mail and I can keep you posted. I'll do the same. Later.

VIPER006

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes please explain the coughing and farting. Or is it an old man thing. You know lack of control of ******.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, if you are calling bull on any of my posts please be specific and tell me what you do not believe. I, or Westcoast will happily provide dyno print outs or whatever you want. I e-mailed you a few hours ago so we can do this in public or in private.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
Tom is one of the most well known and respected tuners here in the Viper community and guess what?! He is the NOS God. He has probably forgotten more info than others will ever know. He is your best source of information on anything NOS related. Also, look at the V-10 National standings and see who is at the top :2tu:

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cough and eventual fart, is from LAUGHING!!

When you guys really figure out what you have, we can have a discussion. NX brand kits using NOS brand Solenoids?

Remember, I have been using, selling and installing nitrous kits for about 20 years. I know all of the systems all of the applications and limitations of the different sprayers and jets, flow rates, feed line restrictions, maximizers, progressive controllers...etc.

Without giving proprietary information, I will state that unless you are using the NX SG-2 Dual Stage Nozzle with their high flow Solenoid, #6 Feed Line and High Flow bottle valve, you will not make 300 rwhp on your Vipers(even using the above items you probably will not achieve 300 RWHP). The THROTTLE BODY SPRAYER TYPE systems are limited by jet size, flow rate and nozzle restrictions. This is the reason why HIGH horsepower systems utilize the "Direct Port" method of injection. Now you have 10 Injectors instead of 2 which gives a better multiplyer of horsepower.

Personally, I do not use the direct port style system on Vipers due to safety and longevity reasons, but they are your best bet for maximum power.

In any event, good luck to all of you, keep the a/f RICH on your applications.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, I have great respect for you as a driver and a Viper pioneer. Most of what I know about dragging my car is from your video. I am still a poor driver on the strip and would love 1/4 of your skill.

Tom, at no time have I claimed to use a Nos part on a NX system. Call up NX and give them the part #15300.

Yes the car has acheived a 300 rhp gain with the #4 line, with the single stage kit and the stock CGAV9 bottle valve.
All gains have been proven on Westcoast's dyno.

They are now working on a bigger shot for me, single stage, #6 line, dual bottle. They will post the dyno results.
All this is on 91 pump gas, no propane.

I don't work for Westcoast, they have just done good ground-breaking work on this system. Nitrous isn't even their prefered method of adding power.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jet,

I always shoot for between 10.5 and 11.5 static (sitting still on the dyno in front of a fan) as ram air leaning will occur due to the dynamics of acceleration on a moving vehicle.

Sun,

15300 is the NOS BRAND part number for a # 4 x 16 foot feed line. It is also the NX Brand "Ice Man" Solenoid part number.

Thanks for the plug about the video.

Tom

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom you said " Nx brand parts using NOS brand solenoids"
Bull
You are the only one talking about NOS brand. The NX solenoid is what I refered to.

Tom you said "I will state that unless you are using the NX SG-2 Dual Stage Nozzle with their high flow solenoid,, #6 feed line and high flow bottle valve, you will not acheive 300 rwhp."
I have explained they have not used those parts, and have acheived 300 rwhp dyno proven.
I call bull again.
Tom, tell me what proof you want and I will provide it.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sun,

I don't need any proof, it doesn't matter. We all have our beliefs as to hp gains by a given modification. People still have a hard time believing I run 9.60's with a stock cam and stock cubic inch motor. Post your dyno sheets, have a pull or two done at another shop or local club dyno day, take it to the track and lay down a 145+ mph. Those things would be the kind of proof for some of us "tough nuts to crack" but really, I don't care so don't go out of your way for me.

I am a NX Warehouse distributor and am very familiar with all of their products. I have specific kits packaged for Vipers that I sell through my company. I have also sold NOS products for several years and know part numbers by heart. Your post on page 1 read a bit misleading with regards to the part number and what it was. My apologies.

I stand fast by the statement above concerning 300 RWHP gain from a single injector system. Take that as you will.
I guess it could possibly happen in the case of some kind of kamakazie/bonzai scenerio, but search these forums, the archives, the internet, nitrous company profiles, etc. You may be suprized to find that your application is a very rare case indeed. A 300 RWHP gain on a 500 RWHP street driven car, by means of a single nozzle injection system (non direct port - single stage)is quite uncommon at the least.

In any event, I applaude your efforts.....with a humerous BULL thrown in.

I am done hi-jacking this thread. Take care.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, thank you for your apology on the parts.

This has not been a "kamakazie/bonzai scenerio". The big shot has had many dyno runs and about 100 runs on the local 1/8th mile. I will have Jason post the dyno run on the even bigger shot in the works(or a photo of engine parts blown up) and I have some road trips to 1/4 mile tracks coming up this summer and will show the numbers.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I played around with the jets on my NX system as well. Initially with 41/24 jetting I gained 85RWHP/137RWTQ, but the A/F pegged below 10 and was running VERY rich. I tried dropping to 41/22 jets, but there wasn't much of a gain, so I went up to 52/24 amd the A/F was 10.5 at it's highest point with the nitrous engaged and I managed a 112RWHP/147RWTQ gain compared to N/A.
As Tom mentioned it's important to take into account that the added air pressure of running at higher speeds will naturally lean out the mixture when actually driving the car. So it's smarter to dyno rich and take a small hit on the power for the sake of reliability.

Another point is that simply adding more power is not automatically going to make the car faster. in other words more is not always better. After a point, the stock tires are going to spin. My 1/8 mile times/speeds are not dramatically better (with stock tires) with the nitrous, but I'm picking up 8MPH in the 1/4 mile.

The big difference is seat of pants for me on the street. Adding the N2O feels like I dropped down a gear or two and are always in the meat of the power. This is especially nice on the freeway when I'm in 6th at 70 and switch on the N2O and it feels like I'm punching in 4th.

I have a fuel pressure and WOT switch, remote bottle opener, gauge, and bottle warmer.
When you are dynoing, it's important to check the bottle pressure as 100psi difference can cost 50-80HP.

I use a MSD modded window switch to trigger the nitrous. Then you are assured to only trigger the nitrous when you are within an optimal rev range, not at low RPMs or in between shifts. Remember that the Viper does NOT have a knock sensor, and if you hit the rev limiter (easy to do with N2O) it automatically cuts the fuel to slow the engine. And if you have a hand triggered system it can quickly go lean at high revs.

The Window switch is around $85, and $25 more for MSD to mod it to run in 2 cyl mode for Viper 10cyl engines.
I personally wouldn't run nitrous without a window switch.
I was going to use a progressive controller for the nitrous, but the fact that the design works by strobing another solenoid and that you need to have a backup solenoid in the system because it is anticipated that the primary solenoid WILL fail was not a good system design for me.

I had worried that having the nitrous at full power in 1st and second gears (especially with 3.55 diff gears) would spin terribly. Which is why I had initially bought the progressive controller. But I raised the RPM trigger on the window switch to 3200RPM, and short shifted into 2nd at 4500 RPMs and the car launches predictably and quickly for stock tires.

Certainly I can run better 1/4 mile times with slicks or drag radials, but then I'd want to add HD halfshafts, a rollbar, and 5-point belts to not get kicked off of the track. I'm already pushing it.

-Dean.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I know the sizes are not the same, and the jets are not interchangable between the two brands, although many of the other nitrous accessories are compatible between NOS and NX systems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness