Who has experience selling a car on EBAY?

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've sold three cars on Ebay. It is a great way to do it. You have to careful of scammers. You will get emails offering more for your care then you asked. They will ask you to wire transfer the difference. The bank check they send you will look legit. Even your bank will accept it. Then three weeks later you will get a call that you passed a bad check and the FBI will pay a visit. So take only wire transfers as payment or paypal. THis is a problem in anyinternte transaction, not just ebay.

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

I've sold three so far, currently have one listed. I think that the majority of E-bayers are honest. However, you do have to watch out for scammers like was mentioned by LIRacer.

One thing I do is state that if final payment is made at pick-up, it must be in CASH! Otherwise, any payments must have cleared prior to my releasing the car or its title.

Anyone who uses wire transfers to pay, or PayPal, is an ideal buyer. And, as always, CASH is King!!! Then, you can be secure that the FBI won't come by for dinner.

Good Luck,
Paul

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just make sure your ad is accurate and with lots of photos.

I would also recommend autotrader. I have sold 2 Vipers that way.

Are you selling the GTS?

I think I saw you tonight on I-71 South around 8:00 PM.

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've sold several cars on the net and I've always done both eBay & TraderOnline.com. eBay is great for generating a lot of traffic, but most want everything at a discount. I always sold it from the ad on traderonline.com

I've always got $7500+ more selling online than any dealer offered me in a trade-in deal.

I feel selling your home on the Internet and cutting out that 6% real estate fee will be a thing of the pass in years to come too.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried EBay in the past with no luck. Over the past 2 years I have sold 2 cars and a motorcycle on autotrader.com. Not one of which were on there for more than 2 weeks before they sold. I am in Ohio, one car went to middle MI, another to Atlanta GA and the bike to the other end of Ohio. For $59 (I think) it is on the site until sold! I will never use any other means of advertising a car but autotrader.com. No, I do not work for them!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have sold 1 car throught Ebay---very easy, worked out great. It was my friends 3000GT, so $7000 car at the time.
I have bought 3 cars through Ebay. Only once did I bid on the Car to win my wife's last Prowler, and that was only after many conversations via the phone with the owner. It worked out GREAT also.
The other 2 vehicles I bought were on Ebay, but I negotiated over the phone and didn't win the bid, but bought the SUVs. Once again, worked out GREAT!

If you are selling, LOT of PICTURES, and lots of info. Be ready to answer alot of questions!

Vipermann1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my experience.

E-bay: 2 out of 2 - No sales.
It's good to sell with e-bay if you want wholesale for your car. You wont get top dollar. I tried to sell 2 cars, both went unsold. I got a few calls, but they all wanted wholesale or they were dealers trying to get a steal of a deal.

Autotrder: Worked much better. Car will most likely sell local. But it will sell at a very good price.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Agree with Vipermann1 - prices things are sold at are at wholesale. Price to sell on ebay is more than Autotrader. But if you have something to sell cheaply fast - ebay is the way.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
For a car like the GTS your best bet is here on the forums or a periodical. People surfing ebay are either impulse buyers or bargin hunters - either way the chances of getting your ideal asking price is nill. I have sold several cars and other high dollar items on ebay and never had a problem - be smart and you'll be okay.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't want to handle it all yourself you could also use an agent such as http://www.e-motorclassics.com/docs/?section=home_page. I sold my '69 Charger R/T SE with them - they handle all the dealing with the buyer, run the listing and host all the photos. The fee was low as well. Worth a look if you don't want to worry about getting hosed by a scammer.

Interesting! A few of our local guys have asked me to list their Vipers (and other cars like a Bentley GT) on eBay and it has been pretty successful. A few things I would suggest:

1. LOTS of quality pictures, including any/all defects. People spend more with honest sellers.

2. Same thing with the description. The more information about that car the better. Some clutter it up with the history of the model itself, which I think doesn't apply as much. Most people looking at that model already know enough about it or they wouldn't be looking.

3. Copyright your photos (i.e., ©2005 O2BFUNNY). While it doesn't stop it, it will slow down scam artists from using your photos to sell a car they don't own.

4. Make the auction "private", in that your bidders are only known to you. Again, this prevents scammers from abusing your bidders, as they don't know who they are. I have had these same weasels write to my bidders (before I started making them private) and offer to sell them the car - often pretending they were me! Imagine getting a "Second Chance Offer" on a car that sold for $70K for your last bid price of $28K. Say goodbye to $28,000 if you fall for this. Or just mark the auction "private" and those worries go away.

5. Specify a deposit of something like 10% of the purchase price to be received within 72 hours of auction end. This separates the men from the boys.

6. NEVER accept a personal check or International payment (other than an international wire transfer). Ask for a certified bank check and also stipulate that the funds must clear your bank before you release the vehicle or the title.

7. Set up a separate bank account for your eBay transactions. The problem is that when doing a wire transfer, you may end up giving them enough bank information to actually pull money from your account. While there is plenty in place to generally prevent this, I don't like the idea of providing my main checking account information to a person I never met. Instead, I give them all the information they need - on an account that generally has less than $10 in it.

8. Make it clear that the buyer is responsible for all shipping costs and arrangements. This releases you from liability in the event there are problems with the same. I usually provide my buyers with a contact name or two of preferred carriers (Gary Almond, Gene Bond, etc.) and then let them go from there. No problems to date (knock on wood).

9. Point out if there is a factory warranty and if not, whether you plan to warranty it or not. Otherwise make sure you sell the vehicle "as is, where is" and that there is no warranty expressed or implied. The last thing you want is some yahoo blowing up a $10,000 Viper motor and wanting a refund or reimbursement for the engine that was running fine when you owned it.

Whew! Those are just a few things I could think of off hand. Be prepared to get trade offers and/or not have your vehicle sell the first time around. Just because you are selling it doesn't mean that every potential buyer is seeing it during those 5, 7, or 10 days you listed it. I have had a few vehicles sell the second time around that barely moved the first time, including the Bentley GT.

Here is one of my prior auctions, just in case you were interested in one approach:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4542081515

Good luck with your sale!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery