Who makes a supercharger kit for the Viper

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the answer your looking for is a big fat NO. As in nobody makes a DIY kit for the Viper, like they do for Mustangs, Camaros, etc.

OP
OP
T

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,I'm talking about a DIY kit.
You can pickup a kit for a Mustang for under 3500 bucks,it seems that one of the blower manufacturers would look into this,you would have the same blower with just different bracketry.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, you would think they would make a DIY supercharger, u can get one for a **** Maxima and Civic, but u cant for a Viper.
i know, i know, they make more Civics and maximas, but still, i am sure "vortech,paxton,ATI" could sell our superchargers for 2 to 3 times more "cost wise".
I am waiting to c how Dan Cragins turns out to be, the only thing better then having a supercharger under the hood of your viper is having two superchargers
smile.gif
smile.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Man, you would think they would make a DIY supercharger, u can get one for a **** Maxima and Civic, but u cant for a Viper
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only do they make them for those cars they also make one for the Prowler which has a lower production than the Viper.
pissed.gif
I called Paxton several months ago and they said they were working on a Viper supercharger kit, they had a car in the shop and were testing it. I don't know if they are still working on it, or gave up. I will call them again sometime soon and find out.

BTW officially they are not working on one, but after interrogating a sales person for a bit he finally admitted they were working on it.
BURNOUT.gif

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:
I called Paxton several months ago and they said they were working on a Viper supercharger kit. I will call them again sometime soon and find out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that would be great if they came out with a kit. keep us posted on what they say, Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
T

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean of NJ:
I would hope that new pistons/compression ratios, stronger bottom end etc would come with any proposed kit<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't need none of that as long as you keep your boost at a sane level,I'm quite sure the Viper engine has a stout enough bottom end to handle 600 HP,I made 630 HP with a 5 liter Ford with the stock bottom end and pump gas.
BTW don't the first gen2 engines already have forged pistons?,and I don't see where any of these tuners go into the bottom end on their stage 1 kits which range from 600-750 HP at the flywheel depending with which tuner you deal with!
price range 17,995-31,000 installed,OUCH!

OP
OP
T

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScottP:
First off...NO all Gen II's do NOT have forged pistons I think 2000 started with clay (no not really) but crap. I had mine changed when I lowered my compression. To my knowledge there is NO TUNER with a stage I that is making 750 on blower alone (not running anyway) or unless all they have is a stage I<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SVS is claiming over 750 HP with their stage 1 kit.
SVS stage 1 kit

OP
OP
T

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScottP:
I would LOVE to see they dyno sheets <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You must be registered for see images

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SVS is claiming over 750 HP with their stage 1 kit.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea they are CLAIMING that but has anyone actually had it done to their car? I have never heard of anyone that's driving around with SVS supercharger, maybe their is, don't know, seems like vaporware. I did see with my own eyes Saturday two supercharged cars both with DLM supercharger kits.

If you just do the math it don't add up, 7 lb boost is approx. 40% power increase. Stock rwhp=400X40%=560 rwhp about 100HP shy. More was done to that engine than listed to get 680rwhp with 7 lb boost. It's one thing to post some good numbers on a dyno sheet but completely something else to make the car reliable and streetable.

I don't think the bottom end is the problem with Vipers, its the compression ratio (9.6:1) and cast pistons of newer 2000+ cars. I would think 6 lb would be safe on cast pistons and 8 safe on forged. Any more than 10 lb and you will probably start blowing head gaskets and need to run higher octane fuel and/or lower the compression ratio.

I do believe a kit could be made to reliably make 150-175 rwhp on the Viper without doing a single engine modification. The problem is if you toast a Viper engine it'll cost you $12k verses what $2-3K for a Mustang engine? I think that's the real impediment to somebody making a DIY kit for the Viper.

TurboSnake, your web page states 533hp with 10 lb boost what does it make without the turbo connected? I would guess 325-350 rwhp. Was it a kit? or a custom install? what's your compression ratio? how much does something like that cost for a Mustang?

OP
OP
T

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never dynoed the car when it was stock,but other 5 liter Cobras I've seen were making between 230-240 rwhp stock,remember the 5.0 Cobra was rated at 245 hp from the factory,when I first bolted on the turbos I made 430 rwhp/495 ft.lbs. at 8 psi.
with exhaust,heads,cam,and increased boost I picked up another 100 rwhp and 60 ft.lbs. of torque,my comp. ratio is 9.5:1.

The kit is made by Incon Systems they also produce the LPE C5 Vette kit,my Cobra was the prototype vehicle for this kit so Incon installed the kit and tuned the car for 3,000.
if you were to buy the kit from Incon it would cost 4,400 as a DIY kit.

BTW If Paxton can make a DIY blower kit for the Prowler,why can't they produce one for the Viper???

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just called Paxton. The Viper supercharger kit is still going through R&D and they don't know if or when its going to be sold. I was told it defiantly will not be ready until after the first of the year, January if they do make it.

I think I will get a nitrous setup for now. While the tuners sure do a good job with their supercharger systems $15-30K is a bit much to put into a car for me.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MES,

Sean Roe is also talking about having a DIY Supercharger kit soon. But I think you already know that as it has been posted here.

I am one of those who strongly prefers Turbos or Superchargers over nitrous. Of course my Viper is still NA so what do I know...

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean Roe is also talking about having a DIY Supercharger kit soon. But I think you already know that as it has been posted here.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still think I'm going to get the "poor mans supercharger" AKA Nitrous, for now. BTR expect a call soon
smile.gif
I've been waiting 4 months now for Paxton and still nothing. Sean said not until after the first of the year for his, but who knows. I also don't want the be the very first to ******** a DIY supercharger, let others work out the bugs first.

Oh, and I just found this link to Golden West anyone heard of them before?

RMK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $24,000 I would be inclined to buy a D1sc kit from Procharger for a Camaro or Mustang and fabricate my own brackets and piping. It wouldn't be too difficult.

Robert

RMK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I worded tht wrong. What I meant was that instead of paying $24,000 for a tuner to fit one, I'd buy a kit for a mustang or camaro for $3000 and fabricate my own brackets. I wouldn't pay that for a blower, it's madness.

Robert

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RMK:
instead of paying $24,000 for a tuner to fit one, I'd buy a kit for a mustang or camaro for $3000 and fabricate my own brackets. I wouldn't pay that for a blower, it's madness.
Robert
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talked to Jason at Golden West Performance, they have a supercharger kit "Intercooled also" priced almost half that much INSTALLED, so does Heffners performance and Doug Levin "not Intercooled i dont think".

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im really curious about how much the golden west supercharger will cost, does anyone know? and the numbers on it to...

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yellow02:
im really curious about how much the golden west supercharger will cost, does anyone know? and the numbers on it to...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The numbers are on their web site, as for price, they told me close to 13K installed with intercooler, and i think about 10K for the kit mailed to you, no install. but call them and check, i might be off a bit on the price. As for power, on a stock motor, stock exhaust and headers on a 99 viper, it made 552RWHP and 625RWTQ, those are great numbers if u ask me.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/B][/QUOTE]
Your numbers are backwards. 625 rwHP and 552 rwTQ.
Thanks
Bill B - I'm sorry for the delay in response. You should have mail.
[/B][/QUOTE]

WOW, thats a lot of horsepower. most superchargers out there make 550RWHP in their stage 1 kit, yours make74 RWHP more, nice going guys. now give us some more boost and lets see some more numbers.

Come on Dan Cragin, hurry up with that twin supercharger so i can compare and decide on which supercharger set up to get.

OP
OP
T

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by THEMASH:
as for price, they told me close to 13K installed with intercooler, and i think about 10K for the kit mailed to you<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats way too much jack for a centrifugal blower,its basically the same thing you get with a $3500 Mustang kit with different bracketry.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked at the Golden west kit and it seems like the correction factor on the dyno pull is very hi, even if it was dynoed at denver, 1.23? I could be wrong, anyone living in denver dyno their cars?

What type of boost does that kit run? And what does it do for fuel/ignition controll? Anyone know?

OP
OP
T

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StanL:
Ones motor is blown and the others still doesn't run.
My god. With thoughts like that, no wonder there are mustang drivers..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And there are a lot of Mustangs out there that will hand you your a$$!
No matter what type of car it is,it is still a internal combustion engine and the rules of preventing detonation apply the same to all.
You can bump up the fuel pressure by means of a FMU or just install bigger injectors with the correct fuel pump and proper WOT tuning on a dyno,as far as timing is concerned you can use a MSD BTM as a timing retard or recal your EPROM chip with some sort of software such as AutoLogic.