Who makes the best 2" drop seat kit?

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 96 RT/10 and need a 2" drop seat kit for both seats. I am more interested in best fitment, and ease of install over cheapest price. Who makes the best kit and what is their contact information?

Thanks

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You Do!!! pull your seats out and take a look. there is nothing to them. i made my own. these places that charge you 150 to $200 are just ripping you off. take your time, buy some square stock metal and make your own.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You Do!!! pull your seats out and take a look. there is nothing to them. i made my own. these places that charge you 150 to $200 are just ripping you off. take your time, buy some square stock metal and make your own.

care to mock up a illustrated guide for the guy?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott, I know Northwind Engineering made a set...maybe someone on here has their contact information...just don't install in direct sunlight in late Augest in Texas...turns 30 minute job into 3 hour job and damaged sheetrock..

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Scott, I know Northwind Engineering made a set...maybe someone on here has their contact information...just don't install in direct sunlight in late Augest in Texas...turns 30 minute job into 3 hour job and damaged sheetrock..

Yup, a nice easy job turns into a very long, curse filled, afternoon.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 RT/10 and need a 2" drop seat kit for both seats. I am more interested in best fitment, and ease of install over cheapest price. Who makes the best kit and what is their contact information?

Thanks

If you can wait about two weeks, I'll send you a set for free. I'm making 1" and 2" kits for GenI and GenII Vipers. I need a GenI test subject so if you're up for trying them out for me, they're yours. But as others here have stated...I see no need to pay $200-$300+ for these, at least for GenI/II'. GenIII's and GenIV's are a bit more complex. And yes, there will be a How To in the near future.

OP
OP
B

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep I can be your test mule. I can even take pics etc as needed. It will be at least 2 weeks before I can put them in so the timing works too. Send me a pm with your contact info and I will get in touch.

Thanks

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part of the seemingly exorbitant price for those seat kits is corporate liability. As simple a part as it is if it were to fail in an accident the donor or seller of those parts is liable.

I'd just paint your hood vents white for the illusion you're sitting lower. :lmao:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part of the seemingly exorbitant price for those seat kits is corporate liability. As simple a part as it is if it were to fail in an accident the donor or seller of those parts is liable.

I'd just paint your hood vents white for the illusion you're sitting lower. :lmao:

Hmm...I have liability insurance for my business. I can tell you its not $300 per set of seat tracks.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a rough sketch of what I kinda figured out by doing some quick measuring/looking. Haven't made them yet though...

Yep...you got it. Now go get yourself some steel stock and have it at. Don't buy the cheap steel that bends easily. Get some high tensile strength grade steel. Your local hardware store may have some in stock. (no pun intended). :D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm...I have liability insurance for my business. I can tell you its not $300 per set of seat tracks.

And you're also not making seat tracks are you? Because the 2" kit does not consist of any tracks and is $175 not $300. I know that's still a lot of money for a simple part but if you break it all down it's probably no less money then what you'd want for your time.

If, um... you, um... were to be working that is. :rolleyes:

:D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you're also not making seat tracks are you? Because the 2" kit does not consist of any tracks and is $175 not $300. I know that's still a lot of money for a simple part but if you break it all down it's probably no less money then what you'd want for your time.

If, um... you, um... were to be working that is. :rolleyes:

:D

$175, $150 on a good day, $259.95 normally. IMO, the GenI and GenII seat brackets are not as complex to build as the GenIII and GenIV. Tracks or fixed. I'm doing both. The 2" kit still takes time, labor, etc. My goal is to break the $150 price tag and make them more affordable. Maybe this will happen, maybe not. I may make one set or a hundred...who knows. For now, I have a lot of time on my hands, I need to do something on my Viper before I go stir crazy during these winter months and I have a fabricator itching to do some business. :) I've got an itchy trigger finger and I'm not afraid to use it. Now back to my seclusion in the garage with my frozen beer.

Last edited:

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can wait about two weeks, I'll send you a set for free. I'm making 1" and 2" kits for GenI and GenII Vipers. I need a GenI test subject so if you're up for trying them out for me, they're yours. But as others here have stated...I see no need to pay $200-$300+ for these, at least for GenI/II'. GenIII's and GenIV's are a bit more complex. And yes, there will be a How To in the near future.

Hey Tony I'll be the test subject for the 1" ones!

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also down for a 2" lowering kit. I hate being the first car at a light. :( Not to mention my knees hitting the dash.

Broch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm also down for a 2" lowering kit. I hate being the first car at a light. :( Not to mention my knees hitting the dash.

Curious what do you mean by "I hate being the first car at a light"?

OP
OP
B

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey ViperTony, any updates on this? I am finally about ready to start working on the car a little.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Making good progress. What year/model Viper do you have? GenI or GenII? I'll get a fixed 2" kit out to you at the end of the week.

OP
OP
B

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 1996. I need a set for the driver and passenger seat too please. Let me know what you need for shipping or materials etc. and I will be happy to send it to you.

Thanks

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you that have installed the 2" lowering kit from NWE...I have some questions. On my GenII, there's a dip in the floor pan under the seat between the front and rear mounting locations. About 1.5" from the bolt/hole locations the floor pan slopes down. In other words, it's not completely flat under there. My question is: With the stubby 2" brackets that don't extend all the way across, won't they sag/bend once the you're sitting in the seat since the metal seems thin (1/8"?)? Doesn't seem sturdy to me for some reason. :dunno: Even with 1/4" cold rolled steel I don't like it. I decided to use a piece u-channel that extends the entire length much like the stock seat tracks. As I went down this path...I also came to the conclusion that it would be easier to make the 2" adjustable as well since my wife does drive the Viper and with a fixed seat all the way back she can't reach the pedals comfortably.

Big Mac: I do not know if the '96 uses the GenI style OEM seat track or the GenII style. Both have different measurements for the mounting locations on the floor pan. If you can, can you peak under there and let me know which one you have? The GenII seats utilize a seat bracket with a hole through the side of the metal up front. Also, the distance between the front and rear bolt holes is about 20".

OP
OP
B

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will look today. I am going to a local event tomorrow and can compare mine to Gen1 and Gen2 brackets to know for sure.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are organizing and making our own parts now. Can I write any of the stuff I'm doing off on my taxes? Tony...? You got any advice here?

LOL...my wife asked me about that this week. She saw me looking over drill presses, press brakes, etc. and said "***...all this JUST to make a seat bracket?!?". :D I think her comment was..."Well, I hope we can at least write it off". :rolaugh: I was hoping to get some TARP or simulus funds to properly fund this endeavor but I was turned down.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you that have installed the 2" lowering kit from NWE...I have some questions. On my GenII, there's a dip in the floor pan under the seat between the front and rear mounting locations. About 1.5" from the bolt/hole locations the floor pan slopes down. In other words, it's not completely flat under there. My question is: With the stubby 2" brackets that don't extend all the way across, won't they sag/bend once the you're sitting in the seat since the metal seems thin (1/8"?)? Doesn't seem sturdy to me for some reason. :dunno:

Confirmed that the brackets do indeed sag since there's nothing underneath to support them. Unless I'm missing something...how does the NWE 2" kit work again? :dunno: Or is the design supposed to sag and contribute to the 2" drop. Not that i'm trying to duplicate that kit but I don't see how it can be sturdy once installed.