Why are Canadian prices so high?

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was choked to discover I cannot import a first generation RT from the USA. You can't buy anything here, regardless of mileage, for under $40,000 US unless it has been cracked up. There are four or five on this site's classifieds alone for $35000 or less. Why the difference?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
because there isn't that many Vipers in Canada to begin with. What province are you in? Our prices are so much higher because there is a lack of cars for sale. For what a GEN1 would cost you up here you could import a GEN2.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find that the prices in Canada are basically in line with those in the US - I based the sales of my last 2 Vipers on the "going rate" in the states. As for my SRT the retail price was right in line with the Americans.
Where have you been looking? If you are serious you should start by calling on the Canadian VCA regions as usually there are some cars for sale.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '94 RT in Canada (then exported it to US) for $US39K in 1998. I paid for export, seller paid for seatbelt conversion. It was cheap because it had ungodly high mileage of about 30,000 km. ;)

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Craig! I am in Alberta but I have been looking at the Autotrader nationwide. There is a lack of cars for sale right now but according to the production info I have seen the sales of Cdn cars is proportionally not that far from the US. And you are right, there are a couple of 96 coupes on this site that could be brought up north for a couple thousand more than the cheapest 94RT on Autotrader.

Aspviper! The prices for the 96 and up Vipers are a lot closer to the US values than the older models. When the snow is on the ground you would figure the prices would fall a bit but the 2 low mileage RTs I found were a 94 in T/O for $66,000 and a 95 in BC for $63995. Considering I could have bought a 94 new for about $70,000 I think these prices are a bit much.I am probably looking in the wrong place as you say. The Cdn VCA regions don't seem to have their own boards. When i am ready to buy should I just post on these boards?

Tom-Maybe I will wait for you to upgrade to a Gen2 and bring yours back up north.

Thanks for the info guys!

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been trying to tell fellow crazy canucks you can't import a gen 1.
One guy found out the hard way.

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Malcoll- Transport Canada has a list of vehicles admissible from the USA and the 92-96 Roadster is excluded. 96+ coupes and later roadsters are okay. The differences, between US and Canadian versions of any vehicle, in addition to daytime running lights are usually the seatbelt layout and bumpers(US have 5 mph bumpers and we have 8mph or something like that). Our emission laws are pretty much the same so it is a surprise when a North American built car can be brought north without a bumper or seatbelt assembly swap.I could find no explanation for the roadster's exclusion. They do not even list changes to make it acceptable. A 96 coupe though, can apparently be brought north unchanged except for daytime running lights.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to know what the USA would be like if we ever have Mrs. Clinton for president, look at Canada.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's interesting, since when I brought my Canadian Viper south, there was no word of it being a one-way trip. The seatbelts in Canada for 92-96 required floor mounting so the car had what the US sees as the airbag seatbelts; both ends on the floor and roll-up over the inside shoulder. For the same year in the US the belts roll-up into the doors to meet the "automatic" requirement. (You are "automatically" protected if you never unbuckle, since you can open the door and get in if you leave the seatbelt buckled.) I suppose that's why airbag cars are legal in Canada, since both ends of the seatbelt are on the floor.

It came with DRLs, the same harness is used for norht or south of the border, there's just a plug-in box for the DRLs.

There was no exhaust emission change required, the EPA agrees that US and Canadian versions are the same.

I've had the front fascia off and there is no part that isn't identified in the service manual. It has the urethane fascia, the styrofoam form underneath, and the fiberglass bumper under that. Then it attaches to the frame ends...

I'd love to know more about this.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason why the car's can't be imported is the Chrysler does not make the parts availiable to make a US GEN1 car Canadian spec. If these parts were availiable there wouldn't be a problem. Chrysler Canada claims they do not make the kit availiable to "protect" the value of our Vipers up here.

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom I suspect your vehicle could go back to Canada w/o a problem as I don't think the vehicle is flagged on any system as a US model since it was first registered here.

Sachin I saw that one as well but with no mileage posted it usually means high. Nice car in the pic tho and minus the 14% sales tax it is close to what I would like to pay.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig201, The Canadian Gen 1 seatbelt system is the US airbag seatbelt system. Both ends on the floor, rolls up over inside shoulder. Once the airbags were installed in the US, that counts as the required "automatic occupant protection" for the US requirement (and didn't have to use the roll up in the door system) and the belts are attached on the floor for the Canadian requirements. No?

Nuck, funny, but a Carfax report showed the first owner was a dealership in Florida. Maybe never titled, but had miles on it before heading north.

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom that's bizarre. It is possible it was simply a paperwork mixup with the Florida dealer or maybe the dealer was bringing it in for a Canadian friend or relative. The car should have been unsaleable in Canadian form. :confused: :confused:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to know what the USA would be like if we ever have Mrs. Clinton for president, look at Canada.

LMAO!!! You are a 100% right. Canada is a beautiful place but the government is way to liberal.
Good luck on your search.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang